PG Music Home
Posted By: royj RB and Realtrack Generation - 07/30/17 06:29 AM
Realband has a nifty fueture in that additional Raealtracks or Realdrums can be genertaed/added over and above the tracks generated bythe BIAB style.

This is is handy for addding additional new or parts of a track with a different instrument.

The question: These tracks follow the rules of the partmarkers etc, but is their any way that they can "quickly" be linked to the style? (other than editing a style) or do they just follow the chord sequence and part markers?

I realise that expecting a southern rock guitar part to effectively take on the nuances of a jazz style (or other dissimilar genre) would be over the top, but was wondering if their is a way to match similar Realtracks/drum to the chosen style?
Regards and thanks
Posted By: Noel96 Re: RB and Realtrack Generation - 07/30/17 08:23 AM
roy,

I agree. Realband is amazing software!

In relation to the rest of your post...

Realtracks and Realdrums are studio recordings of live musicians. Because of this, the amount of modification is limited. The actual style with which a Realtrack or Realdrums plays is completely independent of the style that it is attached to.

For example, if a jazz guitar is a swing style recording, it will always be a swing style recording and will always play back as such. It's not possible to modify it so that it becomes an even 8-beat track and sits comfortably with rock guitars.

Hope this makes sense.

Regards,
Noel

Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: RB and Realtrack Generation - 07/30/17 08:46 AM
<Edit> I just saw Noel's post as I entered mine. He is correct. However, what I've outlined below will work to some degree in you locating and using instruments not included in a style you are using but still sound good with your song.

I match up dissimilar instruments quite a bit and here is how I find instruments that play nicely within the style of my song. I search and generate new tracks that use a unique instrument from within Biab. I do not have to import the seq song or anything just to do a search. I input 8-12 bars of my chord progression into Biab chord sheet and open StylePicker. This must be done in Biab rather than RB because the 'Search over your Chord chart feature' does not exist in the RB StylePicker. 8-12 bars will generate very quickly.

Searching for instruments this way I find to be very beneficial. It allows me to search through styles in just a few minutes. Styles contain from 1-5 instruments normally, so in searching through the various styles, I am also auditioning hundreds of instruments and hearing them play over my chords. I find that many styles sound dramatically different over my chord chart from how the style's Demo sounds. I can vary the key signature, chords and tempo here as well without altering my original file.

If I find an instrument I want to use, I generate the track in Biab if I have the complete chart input on the chord sheet, which I normally do because I start my songs in Biab rather than RB. Then I export the audio and open that in RB. If I think I will need to utilize the Multi Riff feature on this instrument, I generate a second occurrence of the the instrument on another track in RB and use Multi Riff on that Real track and then use volume envelopes to mix and blend the two tracks to sound as a single track. Likewise, if you've just entered a few bars in Biab to complete a search, just notate the RealTrack number and generate the track in RB.

Hope this helps a bit,

Charlie
Posted By: royj Re: RB and Realtrack Generation - 07/30/17 02:59 PM
Thank you Noel & Charlie - this is was what I thought but was not 100% sure if I had missed something. Charlie's workflow is great advice!
Posted By: Noel96 Re: RB and Realtrack Generation - 07/30/17 04:44 PM
Those are great suggestions, Charlie! I've never thought of doing the equivalent of your approach to auditioning styles. It's very, very efficient and saves a heap of time. I'll definitely take that on board.

Posted By: Charlie Fogle Re: RB and Realtrack Generation - 07/31/17 01:56 AM
Thanks guys for the nice remarks.

Charlie
© PG Music Forums