PG Music Home
Posted By: joelnann Can't route audio to headphone jack - 08/24/17 11:29 AM
Greetings all...

Old BiaB user from way back and recently upgraded to 2017. I use RealBand almost exclusively and have had a dickens of time just getting thing everything working properly. I have overcome some older gear issues but am frustrated by one or two remaining problems...

1) I can't route the audio to the headphone out on my Surface Pro 4...I can make it play through the speakers on the Surface Pro and if I run sForzando in standalone mode it will go to the headphones, but not in RealBand. I am using ASIO4ALL and in the driver app it appears to be correctly setup but the audio will only go to the Surface speakers.

2) I can't get the newer of Amplitude (4.0) to run. It says jbridge is not installed but 3.0 loads without a hitch...thoughts?

Well, thanks in advance for your help!

Joel
Posted By: jford Re: Can't route audio to headphone jack - 08/24/17 12:42 PM
I don't know about the Surface Pro, but I do know on my HP laptop that sound output is different depending on whether I use MME or ASIO drivers.

Interestingly, if I select MME for the built in sound card on the laptop, it will play through the speakers, or if I plug in headphones, it will automatically switch to the headphone jack.

However, if I select ASIO, I have to specify separately whether to use speakers or headphone. If I specify speakers, nothing goes to the headphone jack, and likewise, if I specify headphone, nothing goes to the speaker.

I wonder if you are experiencing something similar.
Posted By: jford Re: Can't route audio to headphone jack - 08/24/17 12:44 PM
BTW, I've not tried Amplitube 4 yet (but I have it), so not sure whether it works on my machine or not. I know Amplitube 3 works, because it is a 32-bit plugin.

(and I presume you actually mean IK-Multimedia Amplitube, not Amplitude.
Posted By: joelnann Re: Can't route audio to headphone jack - 08/24/17 03:55 PM
That is my configuration as well...and I have the output clearly selected so I'm not sure where to go from here...and your right, Amplitube...the other was a correctly spelled mispelling! smile

Anyone else have any ideas?
Posted By: jford Re: Can't route audio to headphone jack - 08/24/17 03:59 PM
Make sure you click on the little wrench in the ASIO4ALL interface, then click the little triangle next to your sound source to get a drop down to make sure it sees all your ports. Then select accordingly. And sometimes, I've seen it revert to the wrong setting after a reboot.

Also, make sure nothing else has locked out the headphone port (happens sometimes when running multiple audio apps at the same time).

Other than that, I don't know what to tell you.
Posted By: joelnann Re: Can't route audio to headphone jack - 08/25/17 06:49 AM
John...all good ideas. The frustrating part is that the I can't deselect the active arrow icon...I can deselect the square next to it, but the icon with the triangle pointing to the port stays lit. I am pretty sure that is the problem, although again it is curious that both ports are active with sForzando and it will move back and forth from speakers to headphones just by plugging the headphones. So clearly there is a RealBand issue somewhere...sigh. Tried to get technical support on the phone to no avail (I had hoped through the years that issue had gotten better, but at this price point it is hard to complain I guess...).

You have been a big help and I will keep checking back in case anyone else chimes in.

Thanks,

Joel
Posted By: Pipeline Re: Can't route audio to headphone jack - 08/25/17 07:19 PM
http://www.vb-audio.com/Voicemeeter/banana.htm

Posted By: Larry Kehl Re: Can't route audio to headphone jack - 08/28/17 03:50 PM
1. Amplitube 4 is a 64 bit only application; therefore to use it with the 32 bit Realband you need JBridge.

Amplitube 3 is 32 bit so that runs without issue for you.

2. info only: my new Dell Inspiron has a hard time with auto detecting headphones, the Dell app doesn't work for crap, and when removed and reset up using Win 10 only drivers and audio - it's even worse so I use the Dell audio app. But the Dell App only works reliably when I unplug the cans.

if I plug cans in, about 90% of the time it doesn't recognize them and I have to manually select headphones in the app window (which I have to MANUALLY call up) - but it always recognizes that I've unplugged the can's and the speakers come back so that's OK.

I cannot have BOTH. driving speakers (and headphones) use power (yes not thousands of kilowatts, but they are current drains) so I think its designed as a LIMFAC (a limiting factor)

I have not tried Pipelines recommended application yet, it would probably drive both phones and speakers, but why. On a laptop if you have cans do you really need the speakers simultaneously as well?

Good Luck
Larry
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: Can't route audio to headphone jack - 08/28/17 08:56 PM
Joel, watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZRgaRos_mY

Molten Music has a whole series of vids about making music with Surface Pro's 3 and 4. There's a little trick to switch between speakers, headphones and external monitors. He goes into it in detail plus lots of other interesting stuff.

Bob
Posted By: joelnann Re: Can't route audio to headphone jack - 08/29/17 10:01 AM
Thanks to all...great feedback indeed! Love the PG Music community...Joel
Posted By: joelnann Re: Can't route audio to headphone jack - 08/30/17 09:46 AM
And for follow-up...Voicemeeter Banana is excellent! Strongly encourage others to give it a try...Joel
© PG Music Forums