PG Music Home
Posted By: BurtB 2017 RealBand Build 7 Windoze - 08/26/17 05:28 PM
After a recent Windoze 10 update I've been having intermittent issues with RealBand on startup.

Sometimes there is the busy cursor (hourglass) that doesn't go away, and RB is unresponsive.

I have to kill RB and then on startup I have to restore the default configuration in order to get it to finish loading, if I don't restore the defaults then I have to kill RB and start it again and then load the defaults.

Of course this is a pain since I have to change all the settings to what I had before.

Has anyone run into this or similar issues where the configuration appears to get trashed.

As mentioned this is intermittent in nature and I haven't found a correlation with any particular types of files that have been loaded, etc.

Thanks,
Burt
Posted By: Noel96 Re: 2017 RealBand Build 7 Windoze - 08/26/17 09:42 PM
Have you tried right-clicking on the startup icon and selecting "Run as administrator" to see if that makes a difference?

Posted By: BurtB Re: 2017 RealBand Build 7 Windoze - 08/29/17 03:29 PM
Thanks,

When it decides to fail next time I'll try that but I would expect it to be a regular failure if it was a permission issue.

I'm currently working with PGMusic to see if we can figure out the cause, and a solution. But since it is pretty intermittent it may take a while to resolve the issue.

It may be related to either the Behringer XR18 digital mixer (with ASIO driver for audio) and/or the external Keton SD-4 MIDI synth interfaced with a USB to MIDI interface.

Burt
Posted By: Larry Kehl Re: 2017 RealBand Build 7 Windoze - 08/29/17 04:50 PM
1. continue to work with PG no matter what

2. This is just info, do with it what you want

The new Win 10 Creator "Feature" Update added a Game mode - suggest you turn it off

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-enable-disable-game-mode-windows-10-creators-update

while Realband is NOT Sonar that new win 10 feature (game mode) may be part of issue

http://blog.cakewalk.com/windows-10-creators-update-your-daw-is-not-a-game/

Good luck
Larry
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: 2017 RealBand Build 7 Windoze - 09/09/17 05:08 PM
What's Windoze? Is it supported by PG?

Bob
Posted By: BurtB Re: 2017 RealBand Build 7 Windoze - 09/09/17 06:15 PM
Windoze: AKA Windows 10:) A sluggish operating system that can cause indigestion:) Some users swear by Windoze, other swear at it:)

These days I mostly fall into the latter camp, although many moons ago I made good money developing software, including device drivers, for Windoze.

Win10 was so bad on my wife's HP desktop that I replaced the hard drive with a fresh one and installed Linux Mint 18.x.

Performance on the same hardware shot through the roof, software updates are no longer glacial without the "don't turn your computer off" cycles on shutdown and startup. Rarely do you need to reboot when doing software updates on Linux, only when updating the kernel.

The DVD drive that Windoze 10 had stopped recognizing after a Redmond update was just fine under Linux Mint. I had tried all the online hacks to get the DVD drive recognized under Windoze 10 with no success.

We had a problem with Windoze breaking the HP driver for my wife's HP photosmart printer. A new driver from HP worked around it, but was a bit of a pain to install. About a month or so later a Windows update finally caught up with the new printer driver.

Linux Mint instantly recognized my wife's printer and installation was extremely simple. This is the case with Linux these days on reasonable hardware. And icing on the case Linux is not always phoning home with your personal information or usage unless you give permission.
Posted By: BurtB Re: 2017 RealBand Build 7 Windoze - 09/09/17 06:21 PM
Thanks,

Don't have the Creator's Update installed (yet). But I'll keep this in mind.

PG music thinks it might be some kind of interaction with the external MIDI and/or Mixer drivers, but since the latest Win10 update the problem has gone into hiding, so it is likely that M$oft broke something in the previous update that got fixed.

Or it's just trying to lull me into a false sense of security:)

Time will tell.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: 2017 RealBand Build 7 Windoze - 09/09/17 06:39 PM
This might help so you don't loose your settings:

RealBand Kill - Reset - Backup

you can also add to the .bat

Code:
del "c:\RealBand\PT_Is_Running.Txt"

this will prevent the nag dialog "Do you want to reset RealBand to Defaults" after every crash.

To edit the bat files right click > edit

Posted By: jazzmammal Re: 2017 RealBand Build 7 Windoze - 09/09/17 08:32 PM
Gotta love it...

It was a joke Burt.

Nothing wrong with Win 10, Biab OR Real Band. I've said it so many times now, it's all in your system, external interfaces and the config with your software. It can be tricky getting it set up for sure but that's the name of the game with digital audio.

Bob
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: 2017 RealBand Build 7 Windoze - 09/09/17 10:26 PM
Originally Posted By: BurtB
Windoze: AKA Windows 10:) A sluggish operating system that can cause indigestion:) Some users swear by Windoze, other swear at it:)

These days I mostly fall into the latter camp, although many moons ago I made good money developing software, including device drivers, for Windoze.

Win10 was so bad on my wife's HP desktop that I replaced the hard drive with a fresh one and installed Linux Mint 18.x.

Performance on the same hardware shot through the roof, software updates are no longer glacial without the "don't turn your computer off" cycles on shutdown and startup. Rarely do you need to reboot when doing software updates on Linux, only when updating the kernel.

The DVD drive that Windoze 10 had stopped recognizing after a Redmond update was just fine under Linux Mint. I had tried all the online hacks to get the DVD drive recognized under Windoze 10 with no success.

We had a problem with Windoze breaking the HP driver for my wife's HP photosmart printer. A new driver from HP worked around it, but was a bit of a pain to install. About a month or so later a Windows update finally caught up with the new printer driver.

Linux Mint instantly recognized my wife's printer and installation was extremely simple. This is the case with Linux these days on reasonable hardware. And icing on the case Linux is not always phoning home with your personal information or usage unless you give permission.

BurtB,

Does Band-in-a-Box and RealBand run on Linux Mint 18? Are device drivers available for common audio interfaces available for Linux Mint 18?
Posted By: lambada Re: 2017 RealBand Build 7 Windoze - 09/12/17 03:04 AM
I've been with Microsoft since DOS and Windows 2. No one's going to tear me away from it. My wife and daughter sold out to Apple on Day 1. Linux is way to cool for me. Android is just so cheap. Shame it's useless on the music front.

Sometimes Windows 10 annoys me, but on the whole I love it. A bit like another couple of pieces of software ....... :-)
© PG Music Forums