PG Music Home
Someone please help! I lost an amazing guitar recording that I will not be able to duplicate due to weird wah wah feedback and amp placement and stuff I had going on at the time.

So basically I stupidly recorded the song on my stepson's PC, that I have BiaN and RB on while he was at his dad's. While I rendered the song down to send, I did not save the individual tracks. Anyway, the kid (who's awesome and adorable by the way, but would not think twice about open applications on his PC), closed it down with all that work unsaved :-( Now I need the individual track so the guy I'm collabing with can do his thang.

I know that Reaper and other programs automatically back up tracks at various intervals. Is there anything analogous in RB?

Thanks in advance!
Maybe, maybe not.

RealBand can create backup files - but only if the setting is enabled.

From the Help:
"Backup Settings

When the Create backup file when overwriting SEQ files settings is enabled, RealBand will always create a backup file (BKS file) when a .SEQ file is overwritten. For songs saved into the same hard drive that RealBand is installed, the backups are placed into RBBACKUP subfolder of the RealBand folder. For songs that are saved to a different hard drive, the backups are placed in a RBBACKUP folder which is off of the root (e.g. D:\RBBACKUP)."

It may not have saved the Audio Track but may have saved the RealBand file, which could be recovered - if any save had been performed.

Attached picture 2017-09-21_00-03-32.jpg
This is great advice, for the future.... lol.

I'll have to make sure I have that setting enabled going forward.

And for the future, make sure you save as a SEQ file (not a SGU or MGU or MID file), so that everything you do in RealBand is preserved. And then save often; either just hit the "F4" key to save or do a "Save As" after a major edit and do something like appending v1, v2, etc, to the file name.

Doesn't help in this instance, but like you, I have learned the hard way that getting into a song makes you forget to do stuff like this, so I have just gotten into the habit of hitting "F4" pretty often.
One last place to check; RB has a Temp Audio Directory. You can find this location in the Prefs section.

The chunks of audio are not named in any way you would recognize, so you would have to listen to each chunk, or sort by Date Created to narrow it down.

That is, IF they exist.
Normally RB does a pretty good job of cleaning those temp files up when either
A. the song is saved
B. the program is properly shut down.

Worth a look.

Attached picture TempAudioDir.jpg
© PG Music Forums