PG Music Home
Posted By: Rich59 Using a standalone synth with realband - 03/30/18 09:57 AM
Since I am unable to use the Analog Lab3 at this time as a plugin can someone tell me how to record in Realband as a standalone synth.
I cannot plug into my audio interface because the M-Audio controller only has a usb out for both power and midi. I am going into the computer directly.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Using a standalone synth with realband - 03/30/18 10:51 AM
Originally Posted By: Rich59
Since I am unable to use the Analog Lab3 at this time as a plugin can someone tell me how to record in Realband as a standalone synth.

I cannot plug into my audio interface because the M-Audio controller only has a usb out for both power and midi. I am going into the computer directly.

You have an M-Audio controller without a dedicated MIDI out on it? I don't know that I have ever seen such a thing or that such a thing existed. What model is it?
Posted By: Rich59 Re: Using a standalone synth with realband - 03/30/18 11:14 AM
M-audio keystation49
Just use USB in to computer and choose it as your input also choose it as output. Set the keystation to pass the USB to the midi out. Plug a midi cable into your synth module.The keystation will record and play the synth at the same time.
Posted By: Rich59 Re: Using a standalone synth with realband - 03/30/18 01:01 PM
I am in a usb port on my computer and I have the midi keyboard as the selected input. There is nothing else that I have to do?
The keystation isn't a synth it's a controller.Has no sounds.
Using these programs becomes difficult if you don't have a thorough understanding of midi, USB etc.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Using a standalone synth with realband - 03/30/18 02:35 PM
The Silver Toned devil is correct as usual. You have nothing that creates sounds unless you have virtual instruments, like a VST plugin synth. Your M-Audio is a controller that only sends bits and bytes, note on and off messages, etc.
Posted By: Rich59 Re: Using a standalone synth with realband - 03/30/18 03:47 PM
i AM USING IT WITH Arturia's ANALOG lAB 3 SYNTH
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Using a standalone synth with realband - 03/30/18 04:09 PM
Rich,

Do you have jBridge installed? Arturia's Analog lab 3 soft synth is 64 bits so jBridge is needed in order for it to work correctly with Band-in-a-Box or RealBand since they are 32 bit programs.

The nice news is PG Music's price for jBridge is $10. The better news is you install and forget the program. Both Band-in-a-Box and RealBand automatically uses the program in the background.
Posted By: Rich59 Re: Using a standalone synth with realband - 03/31/18 02:24 PM
Yes I have Jbridge
We guys with 1000s of posts don't take kindly to being screamed at.
I'll give you a virtual midi hint.
Quite simple
1. Install Midi Yoke virtual midi cable
2.RB midi in from keystation
3. RB midi out to Midi Yoke 1
4. Set the synth input to MidiYoke 1
Posted By: Rich59 Re: Using a standalone synth with realband - 04/02/18 02:17 PM
Wasn't screaming at anybody. Just reread my post. Didn't realize the caps lock was on.
Ok forgotten
Hi Rich,

Using Analog Lab3 as a standalone synth and recording it into RealBand would be very difficult, and will not work very well.

Mike did give you a link to a post in your other thread, explaining how to use it as a plugin in RealBand and be able to play it with your keyboard.

Here's his link again, feel free to call our tech support line if you have trouble following his instructions. 1-866-983-2474

http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=63093&Number=421946#Post421946

Thanks
Kent
PG Music
Posted By: Rich59 Re: Using a standalone synth with realband - 04/04/18 06:47 PM
Okay, I got my computer back and was getting an error message every time I tried to set up the midi drivers. Received an error message "microsoft wave synth was being used by another device", but it was not. I decided to download a virtual midi cable and that did the trick, however, I cannot adjust the volume level of the track recorded from my synth during playback. I have to be missing something here. Thanks again Rich
Hi Rich,

Are we referring to a MIDI track, with Analog Lab 3 assigned to it?

Thanks
Kent
PG Music
Hi Rich,

We use MIDI CC7 for volume on MIDI tracks, and most synthesizers do respond to this, but it looks like Analog Lab 3 does not (by default). Here's how you can map it:

At the top-right corner of the Analog Lab plugin, click on the icon that looks like a MIDI socket, to enter MIDI mapping mode. Then click on the "General Level" slider at the bottom-left corner of the plugin's control panel, and move the volume slider for that MIDI track, in RealBand's Tracks Window or the Mixer.

Now Analog Lab will be mapped to MIDI CC7, and will respond to RealBand's volume controls.

Thanks
Kent
PG Music
Posted By: Rich59 Re: Using a standalone synth with realband - 04/04/18 09:42 PM
Thanks, that is exactly what I needed. It appears I have to go into what is referred to in the Analog synth as "learn mode"., and assign CC7 to the global channel 0 so all recorded midi track's volumes can be adjusted with the faders on the Realband mixer.

Also, Am I correct in assuming that I should not use the global channel 0 when recording a track? I lost my oboe sound on a track I recorded earlier. I was recording strings on channel 0. Saved the song but then the oboe track was now the string sound that I used recording the other track. The Oboe was originally on channel 7.
Hi Rich,

Right, you'll generally want to use a different channel for each track that's on the same MIDI Port.

Thanks
Kent
PG Music
Posted By: Rich59 Re: Using a standalone synth with realband - 04/06/18 09:18 AM
I also have set in my Realband Options / Preferences / file:

Don’t save forced mid ch meta event in midi file

Automatically re channel track data when saving to midi

Not that I would be saving this type of project as midi anyway as explained above.

Mike, can you please explain the above quote. I am trying to understand why you would do this. I am still having one issue which I thought I was having when I saved my project but I was wrong. The issue I am having is as follows.
1 record oboe track 2 channel 1. Set synth to oboe and channel 1
Records fine
2 record strings on track 3 channel 2. Set synth to strings on channel 2.
As I record strings in track 3 channel 2 the oboe also switches to the strings although it was already recorded as an Oboe in channel 1.
Thanks Rich
Posted By: Mike Head Re: Using a standalone synth with realband - 04/06/18 09:38 AM

Hi Rich
Those preference only effect if you are saving the song as a midi file
They stop pg music sending sysex data to the saved midi file and also forcing channel changes.
They have no effect if working with seq files.

For you current prob I have answered in your other thread
mike
© PG Music Forums