PG Music Home
Posted By: HCM Recording clean - 08/18/18 03:24 AM
Hi

Real Band

Is there a way to hear guitar fx while recording but still get a track recorded that is clean? Thank you
Posted By: Noel96 Re: Recording clean - 08/18/18 06:02 AM
Welcome to the forums!

Are you meaning software effect or hardware like pedals, etc.?
Posted By: rharv Re: Recording clean - 08/18/18 08:31 AM
In the Audio Prefs you can enable Input Monitoring, and then select whether to include the IM on the recording.

You need to use ASIO drivers and for the Track you need to select Input Monitor. It's way down at the bottom of the list.
So yes, it can be done with VST FX.

Attached picture IM.jpg
Attached picture IM-Monitor.jpg
Posted By: HCM Re: Recording clean - 08/18/18 03:24 PM
Thank you!

Fantastic advice!!!!

If u can help with one detail... while recording my guitar as u suggested I only hear my guitar on the left. I am recording in mono using focusrite 2i2 interface. If I turn on the direct monitor on the interface I can hear left and right but the FX are washed out.

I really appreciate you response. smile

HCM
Posted By: rharv Re: Recording clean - 08/19/18 09:46 AM
Unfortunately the 2i2 will be like that; it does not come with a mixer applet to let you pan the 2 channels as desired. One channel is left and one is right.
Every other Focusrite unit (and most other brands) have the mixer applet with panning control, but not the 2i2.
I learned this the hard way, like you.
This is why I use my Delta much more than my Focusrite. Wish I'd have gotten the next model up.

Eventually I'll get something like an 18i20, but haven't needed to yet.

Posted By: HCM Re: Recording clean - 08/19/18 02:21 PM
Too bad. I just got the Focusrite 2i2

I’m gonna try splitting my signal and recording in stereo - using both inputs on the Focusrite and then maybe I will hear both channels when I monitor.
Posted By: HCM Re: Recording clean - 08/25/18 09:54 AM
Works well!
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Recording clean - 08/28/18 03:26 PM
One of the biggest issues I have with using guitar FX or using the amp sims, is that to hear the end result, you often encounter seriously bad latency levels due to the processing needed.

This has been my experience. Your results may be better.
© PG Music Forums