PG Music Home
Posted By: dcuny Multitrack Instrument Sections - 01/05/12 07:54 AM
Up to this point, RealTracks have all been single instruments. However, there have been requests for instrumental sections, such as a horn section, strings, or vocal "ooh"s and "aaah"s.

If BIAB supported such things, it would be great if these tracks could be individual tracks, instead of single track. Additionally, BiaB could export each instrument to an external DAW as a separate instrument.

The main reason for doing this would be to allow more control of each instrument in the mix. For example, the pan and volume of each instrument could be controlled independently.

It would also be helpful for the folk that want more control of drum tracks as well, assuming that each drum part was sent to a different channel.

I imagine that with some cleverness you could also mix-and-match instrumental lines, although that would probably get complicated pretty quickly. For example, you could have a string quartet with each instrument having a static line, and a couple variants where each instrument played a more interesting line with passing notes. Basically, sort of what BiaB already does, but since it's in a single instrument, it would be possible to coordinate the results better - for example, only allowing one of the instruments to play an embellished line while the others played a held chordal.
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Multitrack Instrument Sections - 01/05/12 05:17 PM
With the new looping feature this will be easy. Especially vocal backing tracks. I sang a Ahh track through my TC helicon voiceworks, and was able to import as a loop, but the problem is that there is a generation bug, that development is fixing soon. Once that is done we will have a very cool tool.

Still a few very nice brass RT would be cool. I can't understand why folks want strings, they are so easy with midi. Garrian and a midi keyboard and you got a billion options.

I meesed around the other day with the strings VSTi that came in cakewalk, and used it in Rb very real sounding. I gotta get me a small desk top midi controller, and see what i can make for loops in strings, and even brass. Sony has some very nice brass loops i remember. I bet that would fill some spots for now as well.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Multitrack Instrument Sections - 01/08/12 05:52 AM
I can think of a number of reasons why "real" strings could be good:
  • Convenience of not having to create a track manually. A lot of people using BIAB can play instruments (guitar, bass, mandolin), but RealTracks are good enough that it's unnecessary.
  • One less thing to buy - getting a decent string library costs money, and it takes time to really get good sounds out of it.
  • String phrasing is what sells the sound. Not the sustained pad sound, but the articulation from one chord to the next. For example, the "swoop" sound on disco style strings sell that you're hearing real strings. Similarly, RealTracks can get articulations from instruments that are difficult with MIDI.
But even then, having a nice set of "real" strings that only did generic pads would be a useful start, especially if they included little bits that helped "sell" the sound as being more than just MIDI strings.
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Multitrack Instrument Sections - 01/08/12 04:34 PM
David, i agree, but with Realtracks, you get what they are, nothing more. With midi strings you have far more control, you pick the notes, you pick the velocity, you pick the start and stop point precisely. You chose what instruments, and when and where. More work, but far more options. Heck with even something like TTS you can build very convincing strings. There are literally tons of pad type synths out there that are so powerful, many free. I have the studio instruments from cakewalk that can with my sonar essentials, wow what a great sound, and very versatile as well. Actually most strings you hear in television, and even movies today are midi strings.

I can imagine a few basic string runs in RTs but to setup and produce elaborate strings would require the expense of bringing in an full on orchestra. And to have every kind of string that people would want would be daunting. Having said all that i imagine someday they will tackle that, but first i hope for some basic vocal Oohs and Aahs, and some things like that. Vocal midi is nearly impossible from what i see, and would be worth the effort.

Your not wrong, and I am not right, just different views, and thoughts.
Posted By: dcuny Re: Multitrack Instrument Sections - 01/10/12 01:14 AM
I don't think we're saying anything all that different.

And I'd love to have some nice "ooohs" and "aaaaahs".
Posted By: Tommyc Re: Multitrack Instrument Sections - 01/10/12 11:28 AM
Real Strings 1+ !
Posted By: carkins Re: Multitrack Instrument Sections - 01/10/12 06:28 PM
Love most of the Realtracks but can appreciate the need to be able to tweak them for specific parts which MIDI.
If producing Realtrack Strings cost too much, maybe PG could produce midi strings which sounded "more real" for less?

Have no idea what that takes as I am just about to explore the MIDI world.

Just curious.
Carkins
Posted By: MitchC Re: Multitrack Instrument Sections - 01/10/12 11:10 PM
I highly doubt that Real Strings are in our future. There are just too many nuances and expressions to try to capture ie. Attack, short bowed, long bowed, tremolo.. multiplied by Violin, Viola, Cello, Contra Bass etc. - I think a 'generic' long, sustaining, mid-velocity tracks similar to what would be a 'synth pad' might be the best to hope for in the near term.

..BUT, one never knows. These PG folks are pretty inventive ! OR, they could offer a similar package ala Garritan GPO of PG Real Strings as a VST (via midi).
Posted By: Tommyc Re: Multitrack Instrument Sections - 01/15/12 01:09 PM
I made this song for my granddaughter's youtube video . I bet PG could make real strings like these that came with Logic Pro 9 . She named it .
http://soundcloud.com/tommycole/hall-of-the-dark-symphony
© PG Music Forums