PG Music Home
Posted By: acousticplayer 'Edit' Audio Track - 08/25/08 01:03 AM
I see great potential in Real Band and have been trying to make the switch from Cakewalk. Since I come from a cakewalk background, I realize that I am using their terminology.

I want to 'split' and move the audio tracks around. I realize that for the splitting (i.e. make one contiguous audio track into two at the split marker) I can select a portion and use close gap or cut/paste, but what I want to do is simply split the track at a point so I have two waves.

The other thing I am struggling with is, can't I click on a wave file and drag it in time to the left or right? Right now all I can figure out to do is select a portion or the entire track, cut it and the paste it (assuming I know right where I want to put it). In SONAR I could either click and drag or I had a 'nudge' command and could slide the track with great control to the left or right. Really helps in lining up the audio tracks from different sources. If RB doesn't have that ability I would like to hear what other people's workflow is?

Thanks
acousticplayer.
Posted By: jford Re: 'Edit' Audio Track - 08/25/08 03:41 AM
You can take all or part of an audio wave form in the Tracks window (hit Ctrl-A to select all), then you can move it left or right by using CTRL-Drag with the mouse (left mouse button held down). You can also select a part of the wave form and do the same to move just that selection left or right.

To take part of one track and move to another do this. Go to the beginning of the part you want to move and with the mouse click-hold and drag a little to the right (to select a little bit of the track. Then go to the end of the track and do SHIFT-Left-Click. This will extend the selection from your start point to the end of the track.

Now select either Copy or Cut (depending on what you want to do). Notice the "start point" to make sure you end up pasting at the same point in the new track. Select the track you want to paste to (click on it) and then select "paste". Make sure the start point is the same as when you cut it. Adjust accordingly, then click OK and now you've got your split. Maybe not as elegant as some other programs, but it takes longer to explain it than to just do it.

Hope that made sense.
Posted By: Robin Martell Re: 'Edit' Audio Track - 09/13/08 08:17 AM
Splitting a wave file into blocks is very helpful.

Add to that the capability of copying of moving blocks into other tracks and joining them together without clicks would make the editor really powerful and competitive.

Also I want a really simple way to just silence a section of an audio file to take out random noises. To make a really polished recording I would expect to be able to do this. And I would expect the user interface to be really simple: Right Mouse Click:Silence
Posted By: Eric Anderson Re: 'Edit' Audio Track - 09/27/08 08:16 PM
I just exported my single audio tracks into Sonar, and did as you explained above.
Easy pie. Now I can do as I wish.

RealBand may be able to do all this, but my knowledge is in Sonar.
© PG Music Forums