PG Music Home
Posted By: AudioTrack Return to Factory Settings - 03/14/18 07:24 AM
In BiaB there is an option to return to factory settings.

Generally speaking, to undertake the same function in RealBand involves the user to locate and delete files "rb.cfg" and "realband.ini" from the RealBand folder.

A more elegant solution would be an option in RealBand to automatically undertake those functions, rather than expecting the user to understand and accurately undertake such measures outside of the program itself.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Return to Factory Settings - 03/14/18 02:48 PM
Somebody wrote a batch file for this and I think even compiled it into a executable. Perhaps PG can supply that compiled program to reset. If not, it's is an extremely simple batch file to write.

Open a text editor.

Type in

cd c:\ (brings you to the root of C)
cd c:\realband (takes you to the real band directory)
del rb.cfg /f (deletes rb.cfg)
del realband.ini /f (deletes realband.ini)

save it as rbreset.bat (or whatever you want to name it) and put it on the desktop so it is always visible.

The /f attribute forces deletion of read only files, just in case the cfg is read only. I don't know if it is or not. If it is not, that switch can be omitted.

That's really all there is to it. For me it's just as simple to go through Windows Explorer, but for some maybe not so simple.
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: Return to Factory Settings - 03/14/18 03:31 PM
+1.

I like the idea and I appreciate Eddie taking time to write a batch file to accomplish the task. However ...

It would be nice if the batch file could rename the files instead of deleting them. That way if it turns out that resetting doesn't help then the files can be restored.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Return to Factory Settings - 03/14/18 05:09 PM
Eddie, thanks for your reply and detail, but that was exactly what the suggested feature was trying to avoid! cry
Posted By: silvertones Re: Return to Factory Settings - 03/17/18 05:25 PM
That would be me.I use my little prog evey gig. I play 4 times a week.
Posted By: AudioTrack Re: Return to Factory Settings - 03/18/18 07:58 AM
I guess John that an improvement would be to allow the user to save all the preferences that work, and have an option to 'Return to User's Defined Preferences'
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Return to Factory Settings - 03/29/18 10:45 PM
Then change the operator to ren instead of del.

cd c:\ (brings you to the root of C)
cd c:\realband (takes you to the real band directory)
ren rb.cfg rb.old (renames rb.cfg)
ren realband.ini realband.old /f (renames realband.ini)

It might take a switch of /y to override a confirmation prompt.

You could also get really fancy and change attributes to remove a read only, but I haven't bothered with stuff like this in decades. This is simple, basic old DOS stuff. With the GUI interface of Windows, does it take SO long to go in and perform a few mouse clicks and an f2 to rename the files? Who is THAT time crunched to not have 47 seconds to do this manually?

And why rename then rather than delete them? The program will write new copies if they don't exist. I mean, you are doing this because of a malfunction the last time it ran, right?
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Return to Factory Settings - 03/29/18 10:47 PM
Originally Posted By: silvertones
That would be me. I use my little prog every gig. I play 4 times a week.

So can I ask why you reset every gig? Do you just want to start with a clean blackboard every time?
Posted By: Kent - PG Music Re: Return to Factory Settings - 04/12/18 09:51 PM
Thanks, I'll pass this suggestion along to the development team.

Cheers
Kent
PG Music
Posted By: silvertones Re: Return to Factory Settings - 05/07/18 05:10 PM
Keeps the Gremlins away.
I now use PT for playback instead.
© PG Music Forums