PG Music Home
Posted By: Pat Marr the perfect Music program - 12/31/09 12:29 AM
In my opinion, music software companies have gone down different paths with their various paradigms, each of which opens new creative possibilities for the recording artist. Real Band's paradigm of rapid chord-based development is unique in its holistic approach. While its competition has settled on unique and empowering FEATURES, RB provides a rapid development SYSTEM, and I like that. Here are my suggestions for FEATURES that might be added to RBs SYSTEM in order to support the underlying concept and make it more flexible and modifiable:

1) What Celemony understood was the need to edit audio as easily as MIDI (and using the same familiar paradigm). If PGMusic can find a way to add similar audio editing features to Real Band, it will instantly add a world of new possibilities to the real tracks. I would especially like to see:
a) the ability to stretch tones
b) the ability to adjust pitch
c) the ability to save the isolated tones as midi

2) what Cakewalk/Acid understood was the need to make loopable clips from the musician's own playing (groove clips). It was particulalrly cool that they made the same thing possible with both midi and audio, so you can play a short passage and then "acidize" the passage. This has been available in Sonar for several years, and many people have come to expect that capability. It would be particularly useful in the RB environment, because it would work much like a real track, but would be based on the musician's own playing

3) what FL studio understood was the audio appeal of recurring time/pitch/instrument patterns, and the ease of creating such patterns using a grid. BIAB already uses a similar drum grid in its stylemaker. I think it would be cool if a grid similar to FLStudios could be used to rapidly create AUDIO styles that follow the chords in the project.
Posted By: jcspro40 Re: the perfect Music program - 01/02/10 04:34 AM
Pat Marr, you might want to look at the new Cubase 5....it has 2/3rds of what you want, but the big draw back is support & treatment....there is none, and they treat everyone like a thief!

Just read there terms for the iLok..........
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: the perfect Music program - 01/02/10 08:13 AM
Quote:

Pat Marr, you might want to look at the new Cubase 5....it has 2/3rds of what you want, but the big draw back is support & treatment....there is none, and they treat everyone like a thief!

Just read there terms for the iLok..........

thanks for the tip...I just went to their site and read about the features. It does sound interesting...
but to me it makes sense to pick one or two programs to upgrade semi-regularly rather than to buy into every program at first-time-buyer price.

And in spite of having just written a request that probably sounds dissatisfied, I'm pretty happy with PGMusic. It's normal to wish for more (and the purpose of this forum is to collect those wishes for future development). I currently use Sonar and BIAB/RealBand. As time goes on I hope that one of them will incorporate the features that I currently use in the other one so I only have to pay one upgrade.

Posted By: jcspro40 Re: the perfect Music program - 01/02/10 07:11 PM
I fully understand, I loved SX3 but decided to look elsewhere because of what I mentioned above.

After 5 years I have landed in the Studio One camp....now lets see how they do, tho even in it's form right now I can be very happy.

RB is so close to being the most unique DAW program out there, and I look forward to what happens in 2010 to it for sure!
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: the perfect Music program - 01/04/10 11:15 PM
I think asking for one perfect program is a dream, as all that happens is that they become bloated with to many features. But it is still cool to ask and discuss cause the evolution is fun. RB is good enough not that i only need it and BiaB, plus one very stable and mature DAW for polishing a song. I had 7 programs on my computer, and while most are still there, i only use three basically, with a once in long while maybe use one more when the stars align just right.

I would be happy as a clam if RB received a bit of better VSTi ability, and had automation envelopes added. Then just work real hard to make it a bit more stable.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: the perfect Music program - 01/07/10 12:23 PM
Quote:

I think asking for one perfect program is a dream, as all that happens is that they become bloated with too many features. .

ah, but the PERFECT music program wouldn't be bloated... it would have exactly the features I like, but no more.

;-)
Posted By: Mac Re: the perfect Music program - 01/07/10 01:21 PM
I wouldn't like that situation.

It would leave me stuck in the same rut forever, no discoveries of new things and possibilities, all I'd have would be the same old tools over and over and...

Utopias have a way of not being so idyllic after implementation.

--Mac
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: the perfect Music program - 01/07/10 08:01 PM
There in lies the $6 problem, we all have different needs and wishes. "sigh"
Posted By: Mac Re: the perfect Music program - 01/08/10 03:05 PM
Um, "Celebrate diversity?"
© PG Music Forums