PG Music Home
Hello,
On Band in a Box 2023 on MacOs 12.6 I open the Lead Sheet window and click on Opt. at the top left, then on Notation Options.
Fonts are set to Regular Fonts :

If I select Jazz Fonts, here's the result!!!

I'm sure there's a missing or incorrectly installed font, but if I go to the Mac Font Book I see 6 PG fonts:
Additional information: I've also installed BiAB 2023 on an "old" intel MacBook Air from 2015 and the font display is perfect, so I'll see if there's a Font installation problem on my MacBook Pro M1
I don't think that there is any font issue that is specific to a certain Mac OS. In Finder, navigate to the Data folder located in the Band-in-a-Box folder. You should find a font installer package there (bbfonts.pkg). Just to be sure, I would first reboot your Mac, and then run this small installer. I would expect that to fix the problem.
Hi Andrew,

I installed the package after rebooting the Mac, then rebooted again, but that didn't solve the problem.
However, I can see that the PG fonts are present in the Mac Font Book.
Go to /Applications/Library/Fonts on your Mac hard drive. Do you see fonts there, including the five or so PG*.ttf fonts, and also BeSTPlain.., RealScoreChord, and BigBandChord?

If you select a font and press Command+I (get info), is there 'read' access for all users?
in fact, the fonts were all Read-only for everyone, so I set them all to Read and Write for everyone. After a reboot, unfortunately it still doesn't work.
You say there are 5 PGxxx.ttf fonts, but I count 6.

Perhaps there's a duplicate :
Pgtextj_.ttf and Pgtextje.ttf
perhaps this prevents the font from being displayed?
Strange. No that's correct - there should actually be those six pg* fonts... And as I mentioned you should also find in there "RealScoreChord" (which I see in your screenshot), BigBandChord, and BeSTPlainmXZ - I'm not sure why the latter two wouldn't be there but double-check anyways.

pgjazz is there in your screenshot as well. In my testing, a similar thing occurs if I delete the pgjazz font. Maybe you could try actually deleting the existing fonts from the system all together, then rebooting and reinstalling the fonts. After that my next suggestion would be to try returning BiaB to factory settings. To do this, you can close Band-in-a-Box, duplicate the Preferences folder (located in the Band-in-a-Box folder) to save a backup of it, then delete the contents of the Preferences folder.
Hi Andrew

I have made all your recommendations:
delete fonts, reboot, reinstall fonts, reboot
Delete preferences, reboot, and still the same bug :

Only the Big Band font works.
But it's worth noting that the jazz font works for the song title!!!!

You wrote :
Quote:
a similar thing occurs if I delete the pgjazz font

Perhaps this font is corrupted or not compatible with M1 processors?
Are you running Band-in-a-Box only from your Mac internal hard drive? Are there any case sensitive file systems involved? Select the hard disk in Finder and press Command+I (Get Info).

We've created a special debug app that might help us solve this problem.

1. Download/unzip:
https://nn.pgmusic.com/pgfiles/support/misc/temp/Band-in-a-Box_2023-font-debug.app.zip

2. Copy the .app to your Band-in-a-Box folder and run it. NOTE: this test app is not notarized, so you need to right-click and select Open in order to run it.

3. Open the Notation Window, and then check your Band-in-a-Box folder - there should be a FontErrorDebug.txt file created. Please send this file or paste in the contents.
Hi Andrew, FontErrorLog.txt send by P.M.

It says that PG fonts are missing from the User Library!
Should I copy them there, leaving the originals in the General Library, or delete them?
Quote:
It says that PG fonts are missing from the User Library!

That's actually normal. However, it would certainly be worth a try to copy the fonts into the user Library folder. You can get to the home folder via Shift+command+H, and then press shift+command+. to view hidden folders including the ~/Library/fonts folder.
That might try to create Duplicate Fonts in Font Book.app. The MacOS does not allow this.

User Library fonts are normally installed only on Macs where the User does not have Admin privileges. This has been the norm for at least ten years, now.
Hello Andrew and Mike,
I did a new test, I created a new user session on my Mac. I opened a file with melody already made on the old session, and there, miracle, the Lead Sheet Window works perfectly with Jazz Fonts!!! Yet I had reinstalled BIAB without success.
I suppose I'll have to delete a preference file somewhere, but I can't see which one, I'd already tried that, without success either!
But it's already a good way forward!
In Preferences, however, I can select Jazz chords for the chord grid.
Thanks for letting us know! A new user account is indeed one troubleshooting step we missed. This points to some corrupt file in your /users/<username>/ folder. Perhaps using the FontBook app (when logged in as your original user) to reset fonts would fix it. Note that it would affect other programs as well, if you have other programs that installed fonts, so those would need to be reinstalled also.
Originally Posted By: Andrew - PG Music
Perhaps using the FontBook app (when logged in as your original user) to reset fonts would fix it. Note that it would affect other programs as well, if you have other programs that installed fonts, so those would need to be reinstalled also.

Yeeessssss!
I reset fonts and reinstall PG Fonts and reboot, and now Lead Sheet Window works perfectly!!! Fantastic !
How can I mark this Topic as "Solved"?
I've marked it as resolved. Hopefully this will be useful if anyone else encounters the same problem in the future.
© PG Music Forums