PG Music Home
I have a macbook pro mid 2015 running Yosemite, but I need to upgrade to a later OS because I'm having issues with too many things... Anyway, I downloaded Monterey which I learned is the latest compatible OS with my mac, but was warned that BIAB 2018 would not work. Is there a patch that would make my BIAB work with Monterey? Or should I go for a slightly older Mac OS? I can't bear to be without out BIAB, not even for a day! So any help would be highly appreciated. Cheers pp
Not for five years. 2018 is 32 bit and last ran over Mojave.

BIAB 2023 has issues over Sonoma but runs great over Ventura. Monterey, likewise, is fine.

It's time for an upgrade.
Originally Posted by princeplanet
I have a macbook pro mid 2015 running Yosemite, but I need to upgrade to a later OS because I'm having issues with too many things...
Same issues I had. If I could run apps as below I would go back to Mac.

[Linked Image]

Attached picture bb17-23.png
OK, so are you saying that BIAB won't even work with the last known 32 bit OS which was High Sierra? What about the very next after the one I have, which is El Capitan (10.11 ? )
OK, so are you saying that BIAB won't even work with the last known 32 bit OS which was High Sierra? What about the very next after the one I have, which is El Capitan (10.11 ? )

The last 32bit OS was Mojave (10.14) and all versions of Band-in-a-Box work fine on it if you have the latest update for your version.

I downloaded Monterey which I learned is the latest compatible OS with my mac, but was warned that BIAB 2018 would not work. Is there a patch that would make my BIAB work with Monterey? Or should I go for a slightly older Mac OS?

Band-in-a-Box 2018 is a 32-bit application and so will not work on Monterey (macOS 12). The first 64-bit OS was Catalina (10.15). You would need to upgrade to Version 2023.

Band-in-a-Box 2023 runs fine on all 13 major OS releases from Snow Leopard (10.6) through 10.13 (Ventura). It is not yet fully compatible with macOS 14 (Sonoma). We are still working on this. Most of the program does work but if you try to open a notation window, the OS informs you that it is not compatible and then immediately force quits the entire app (not very 'polite' in my opinion).
FYI…

El Cap was macOS 10.11
Sierra was 10.12
High Sierra was 10.13
Mojave was 10.14 — end of the line for 32 bit.

Catalina was 10.15 — All apps, VIs and plug-ins must support 64 bit and there are no workarounds.
Big Sur was macOS 11
Monterey is macOS 12 — still supported
Ventura is macOS 13
Sonoma is macOS 14 — BIAB doesn’t work over it yet.
Originally Posted by Mike Halloran

I haven't had any issues running BIAB on Sonoma, on my M1 Macbook Pro?
Originally Posted by PWolverine
Originally Posted by Mike Halloran

I haven't had any issues running BIAB on Sonoma, on my M1 Macbook Pro?

Others have. People are advised to wait for build 707 before updating to Sonoma.
Posted By: taflaten Re: Latest Mac OS compatible with BIAB 201 - 10/23/23 03:19 AM
I'm new to BIAB, my buddy signed me up, I've been using CuBase Elements (Steinberg). I'm too new with my Mac to realize the potential pitfalls of an OS upgrade. I'm so used to just clicking with Windows through the years, this one caught me totally off guard. Elements doesn't work (primary indicator is that screen images will not render properly). This is a known issue, and the best advise Steinberg can give is "wait" (sounds like my stock broker!!!)

So I booted up BIAB this weekend, and figured out how to lay down a basic sound track - but when I go to record, I'm getting nothing. The Volume level is fine, the meter indicates sound. I've got sound output through my Tascam 2x2 interface. But when I try recording, I get nothing. I'm shelving it - undoubtedly due to this darn Mac upgrade I let myself get sucked into. In all fairness, my MacBook pro came with an OS prior to Ventura, and I accepted the Ventura upgrade, and experienced no issues. My advice - don't upgrade to Sonoma until your DAW software provider gives it a thumbs up (which I've not seen from BIAB).
Posted By: furry Re: Latest Mac OS compatible with BIAB 201 - 10/23/23 09:18 AM
Too late I DID upgrade to Sonoma. Havn't used biab for ages as I've been faffing with my Tyros 5 keyboard more. Did try installing recently and it's a no go
© PG Music Forums