PG Music Home
Posted By: Mark Morgan Stop Walking Bass Lines - 03/28/24 05:07 PM
Is there a way to prevent a baseline from walking in four after the first chorus of a song? I have a song in a jazz style and like the way the baseline plays on the first chorus but it gets too busy on the following choruses. I just want the simplified baseline for the entirety of the chart.
Posted By: mrgeeze Re: Stop Walking Bass Lines - 03/28/24 06:39 PM
Try substyle changes.
Also track settings allow you to configure middle choruses.
Change the bass player sometimes works.
Posted By: Mark Morgan Re: Stop Walking Bass Lines - 03/30/24 06:25 PM
Thanks for the suggestions but I could not get anything to work for me. It seems that anything past the first chorus goes into a walking baseline instead of a two beat.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Stop Walking Bass Lines - 04/11/24 01:07 PM
Do you have the green/blue (A/B options) indicators set to change after the chorus - assuming you are using an RT that has an A/B option?

Many of the RTs are available with an all A option, an all B option or the aforementioned A/B option that you can set to change.

Bud
Posted By: Mark Morgan Re: Stop Walking Bass Lines - 04/11/24 01:09 PM
If they are set to change by default, then yes I assume they are set that way. Not familiar with how to change that.
Posted By: Janice & Bud Re: Stop Walking Bass Lines - 04/11/24 01:20 PM
Do you have the green/blue (A/B options) indicators set to change after the chorus - assuming you are using an RT that has an A/B option?

Many of the RTs are available with an all A option, an all B option or the aforementioned A/B option that you can set to change.

Originally Posted by Mark Morgan
If they are set to change by default, then yes I assume they are set that way. Not familiar with how to change that.

Here is an example:
RT 2311 "JazzBalladRon A-B" In twos or walking - changed via bar maker
RT 2312 "JazzBalladRonIn2" In twos only
RT 2313 "JazzBalladRonWalking" walking only

Bud
Posted By: mrgeeze Re: Stop Walking Bass Lines - 04/11/24 05:06 PM
Originally Posted by Mark Morgan
Thanks for the suggestions but I could not get anything to work for me. It seems that anything past the first chorus goes into a walking baseline instead of a two beat.

That sounds a lot like the behavior of "Vary Style in Middle Chorus" checkbox in the Additional Song Setting Submenu.
See attached.
You want to make sure that box is not checked.

A lot of those Ron Carter (and other ) acoustic bass real tracks revert to walk when that box is checked.

Attached picture Screenshot 2024-04-11 at 10.01.29 AM.png
Posted By: Mark Morgan Re: Stop Walking Bass Lines - 04/11/24 05:49 PM
Yes, that's it! Easy fix, thanks!!!
© PG Music Forums