PG Music Home
quite often when i specify Maj7b5 ( or maj9#11 etc ) BIAB plays the wrong chord omitting the flat 5.

Also notice this when using this over a slash, for example Cmaj9#11/B.

For example Ive been trying the style PATM_LAT.STY using CMaj7Lyd/B or CMaj7#11/B but BIAB fails to play the b5 which is a strong tone, particularly if
we are going for a phrygian sound.

Also, BIAB is fussy over entering this harmony type. I'd like to be able to just enter or Maj7b5, not Maj7lyd

Often this is when im aimimg for a phrygian sound. Please can we also be able to specify phrygian ( for example for ANA MARIA )
I typed in D13/B with good results for the phrygian sound. Later, Ray
See my post about the phrygian voicing in the other thread.

I understand what you mean though about some styles playing the chord wrongly.

The problem is the 'riff voicing' patterns in the style-maker which are meant to play over Major chords but end up playing over Lydian chords also.
This is because PG have not differentiated between Major and Altered Major in the chord masks which govern the use of these voicings. So you'd quite likely get some very consonant sounding Major Ionian patterns with lots of 4ths, 5ths and 6ths playing over the Lydian and Lydian Augmented Maj7#5 chords.

The same lack of distinction between chord/scale types occurs in the minor and 7 sus chord masks which force very consonant riff voicings to play over MinMaj7 and Alt7sus chords with b9ths and b5ths, the opposite of what you want/expect these chords to sound like.

The way round this is to open the Stylemaker Piano instument and choose the 'Misc' tab and untick the box that refers to Riff patterns. This will force BIAB to transpose the riff patterns according to the chord type. This doesn't always work for every chord as i've found out, so try to isolate the riff patterns individually and set them to 'transpose' to see if that helps.

Regards

Alan
thanks for the however reply. however your workaround is a tad complex. I'd still
of course prefer for PG just fixed the issue properly.
© PG Music Forums