PG Music Home
Posted By: simonsings Creating or modifying styles - 11/18/10 04:09 AM
Anybody figured that one out? I do not think there is an easy abc to it. I tried to read from the manual but God, what an obscure science. The concept of weights and everything. Support told me it was obscure even to them, that this stuff was left to developers. Anybody out there who found an independent manual or something?

Simon
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: Creating or modifying styles - 11/18/10 01:55 PM
I have created hundreds of styles: see http://www.nortonmusic.com/styledemo.html for a list and mp3 demo files of most.

It isn't easy, which is why so many people prefer to buy them from me rather than make their own (thank you all). It requires (in no special order):
  • An understanding of each instrument and it's place in the band for the style you want to create
  • An understanding of music theory
  • At least a basic knowledge of arranging for small groups
  • The ability to play the parts into a sequencer (to get the right feel) so you can import them into the StyleMaker
  • A lot experience with the StyleMaker so that you will know what it does well, and what it cannot do
  • Imagination, persistence and perseverance

It is a fun journey, but it is not instant gratification. I had the advantage of starting writing styles back in the DOS days when only 3 instruments were allowed (drums, bass and piano). As the program grew in complexity and as the StyleMaker grew in features, I learned them as they were introduced.

If you are serious, I recommend you do the same thing. Take it slow, and enter one instrument at a time. Experiment, learn what BiaB excels at and what it's limitations are. Take it step by step and gather more and more knowledge as you go on. While you are doing this, listen intently to recordings to see if you can figure out how each instrument expresses itself. Then try to see if you can get BiaB to do what you hear.

As I said, it isn't instant gratification, but it is rewarding.

And it's not for everybody. If you don't have the prerequisite skills and don't want to take the time to learn them, you can always buy them from PG Music or Norton Music.

Good luck in your journey.

Insights and incites by Notes ♫
Posted By: simonsings Re: Creating or modifying styles - 07/10/11 04:13 AM
Dear Notes Norton

Yes I am interested to purchase the following style from you, if available.

The following style is a VERY important drum and bass pattern that, surprisingly, never made it as midi or as real track material in BIB!

It is a typical 80'es ska pattern. But I am not talking Madness style nor Selectors here...Read on...

Simple but effective: 4 to the bar on the bass drum, ska clave (on 3 and ''and'' of 4) on the rim shot, 8th notes throughout on a closed hi-hat. Around 130...

This is the typical Police groove (Regatta de Blanc), English beat (''I just can't stop it'', the whole album basically uses it), Grace Jones's ''Night Clubbing'' Album (Walking in the Rain, I've seen this face before) and countless other tunes, including some Prince suff, Billy Idol etc...

There is one ok midi attempt called UKRIDE (B pattern) except that beat 4 is missed by the bass drum, it should have been throughout the measure. Should be real tracked anyways! Hopefully...

Please, let's all push to get this useful and loved to this day style in our arsenal.

Spread the word!

SimonSings
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: Creating or modifying styles - 07/10/11 01:53 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. I have a long list of suggestions from my customers and potential customers. I'll put it in the queue.

Notes ♫
Posted By: simonsings Re: Creating or modifying styles - 07/10/11 01:58 PM
Cool
Posted By: Tommyc Re: Creating or modifying styles - 07/17/11 06:10 PM
Why not just write that note in to that style and rename it ? Very easy to do under styles edit current style ! No need to buy anything new , I change most midi styles to fit my exact needs all the time .
Posted By: simonsings Re: Creating or modifying styles - 07/22/11 03:34 AM
I'll give it a try...
Posted By: Ryszard Re: Creating or modifying styles - 07/24/11 03:36 PM
The Style Maker is where the sorcery of MIDI-based BIAB resides. I can't say that I've done more than poke a stick at it, but the results were worth it. You have nothing to lose but time, and everything to gain in originality by trying it.
© PG Music Forums