PG Music Home
Posted By: klinkklonk New user, questions - 12/08/11 10:29 PM
Is it possible to remove the occasional triplets in the walking bass lines? Doesn't work at fast tempos Also is it possible to mute parts of bars, on beat 1 and 3?

Thanks
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: New user, questions - 12/08/11 10:36 PM
>>> Is it possible to remove the occasional triplets in the walking bass lines? Doesn't work at fast tempos

Yes, by choosing a Simple Variation. That is available for the jazz bass parts (and about 70 RT's in all have simple variations. Right click on track name at the top of the screen, and choose 'simple'

>>> Also is it possible to mute parts of bars, on beat 1 and 3?

Yes, by using rests, which can rest all instruments, or certain ones.

For example, to write a bar where you want to rest everyone on beat 1 and 3
Assume the bar had these chords Am7 D7 Gm7 C7

type this in first half of the bar
Am7.,D7
and this in the second half
Gm7.,C7

Note the period after the Am7, that means to rest all instruments
Am7.dg would rest all instruments except drums and guitar (d)rums,(p)iano,(b)ass,(g)uitar, and (s)trings are possibles there.
Posted By: klinkklonk Re: New user, questions - 12/08/11 11:01 PM
Thanks but I realized I posted in the wrong forum, I'm a mac user. I can't find any track to right click....I think sorry, bare with me
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: New user, questions - 12/08/11 11:13 PM
OK, the method of rests is the same on Mac and Windows.

Since we haven't released 2012 for Mac yet, it still can be done, just a different way...

For the "simpler" bass part, with version 2011.5 on Mac, we introduced some simpler bass tracks (for jazz).

This would be 1388 Bass, Swing 140 (very simple)
or 1390 Bass, Bebop 190 (very simple)

For starters, do you have the regular 190 tempo Bebop bass (#752) (it has less triplets to begin with than the 140 one) #443 ?
Posted By: klinkklonk Re: New user, questions - 12/08/11 11:39 PM
Don't have any of those, I think. I only have the ones that were included in Biab: 443, 444, 445, 768, 769, 770, not sure what those numbers corresponds to.
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: New user, questions - 12/09/11 04:02 AM
OK, yes 443 is the one (Jazz Bass tempo 140). We made a simpler version of that, which is 1388. As I recall there is a patch for BB to add that, though I need to know what version of BB that you have.

I'll move this post to the Mac forum...
Posted By: klinkklonk Re: New user, questions - 12/09/11 11:05 AM
I bought the basic package of 2011.5 (build 38). A bit curious how to get those 1390 patches...
Posted By: klinkklonk Re: New user, questions - 12/09/11 08:37 PM
And as for the rests. How do I make it rest at the strong beats and play on 2 and 4?
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: New user, questions - 12/10/11 07:05 PM
>>> And as for the rests. How do I make it rest at the strong beats and play on 2 and 4?
I'll repost my answer as above. Have you tried that?

>>> Also is it possible to mute parts of bars, on beat 1 and 3?

Yes, by using rests, which can rest all instruments, or certain ones.

For example, to write a bar where you want to rest everyone on beat 1 and 3
Assume the bar had these chords Am7 D7 Gm7 C7

type this in first half of the bar
Am7.,D7
and this in the second half
Gm7.,C7

Note the period after the Am7, that means to rest all instruments
Am7.dg would rest all instruments except drums and guitar (d)rums,(p)iano,(b)ass,(g)uitar, and (s)trings are possibles there.
Posted By: klinkklonk Re: New user, questions - 12/10/11 08:49 PM
I still don't get it. If I enter a chord on each beat with the chord builder, which to my knowledge is the only way to enter chords on every beat, the moment I enter the chord on the first beat with a following dot(which has to be done by writing in the box in the upper left corner next to "wz", right?) it overrides the chord on the second beat. Typing the dot is not possible in the chord builder.
Posted By: klinkklonk Re: New user, questions - 12/10/11 09:34 PM
Ok never mind I figured it out with the rests...

Still curious about that bebop bass though and where to get it. Cant find it among the real tracks, sorry for being a pain...
Posted By: John Conley Re: New user, questions - 12/11/11 08:14 PM
Well try C.,C TAG G.,G

Entering into the cell one has 4 slots for chords.

If we were trying to set up a C strum one might put in C,C then press tab or move the mouse and enter C,C again.

C6, Bm7 (TAB over) Bb7b5, Am would be a 1 cell (possibly measure) entry.

So in short there are 4 positions. The first 2 are separated by commas, so whatever chords you enter, you then reposition (in Windows by tab) into the next part and enter 2 more chords.

There are good video tutorials for this, and the manual of course.

Although I've never read the manual to any extent, I learned from the forum, experimentation, and the videos.

It becomes easier after a bit. (Not 64 bit at this point right?)
Posted By: klinkklonk Re: New user, questions - 12/13/11 05:36 PM
thanks john, but I figured it out, like you said, the videos are a great help.

But I'm still curious about the bebop bass..
© PG Music Forums