PG Music Home
Posted By: rishied Adding note based lyrics - 11/12/12 07:09 PM
I tried adding note based lyrics. When I typed, the letters went into the chord entry. If I select the lyric entry, no letters were accepted. Also, is there a way to copy the first chorus lyrics to the other choruses, like you can with the melody? I have the same trouble adding lyrics at the top, goes into the chord box. I have build 65.
Posted By: garyj Re: Adding note based lyrics - 12/01/12 04:58 PM
Somebody PLEASE answer this question...
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: Adding note based lyrics - 12/02/12 01:21 AM
Hi, You need to press the Lyrics button ("L") on the notation window, then a special edit window pops up, and you enter the text there. Are you doing that, and it isn't working?
Posted By: garyj Re: Adding note based lyrics - 12/02/12 06:20 PM
Thanks, Peter. I AM having great fun... however, I am totally baffled at the moment. I am new here (Mac version 2012.5), and I am wondering if I'm doing something wrong or if the program's a bit buggy...? Or maybe I'm buggy. Perhaps you can tell me..

So I have my song all built, and am adding lyrics in the Notation window, by hitting the L button. Fine. The first note chimes and I add some words - - - Question #1: Can I add a whole bar's worth of lyric here? Or do I have to do it syllable by syllable, one note at a time?

- - -Question #2: Can I not move around and select random notes in the various visible bars to edit the lyrics? I can't seem to select (with my cursor) any notes to edit text. -?

So I tried to plug in a bar's worth of lyric at the first note of bar one, then I went and looked at it in the Big Lyrics(BL) window, and the line of text was, it looks like, 3 lines down from where it should be... also, some of my chords have jumped around, and 3 chords have been added to the intro bar... so I hit the Blank Lyrics menu item and the line of lyric is still there.- It has been erased from the Notation sheet. but is still there in the BL window. Although the extra chords in the intro have disappeared... and it also moved some of the other chords.

So I went back to Notation window to try again... started entering text (Which does not show up there in the notation wind. this time) But in the BL window, there it is, on the line where it sort of should be, I guess... but the other, first line is still there, down a couple of lines...

Man! I sure wish this was an easy thing to do. I've read everything I can find in the manual, and searching for tutorials online. No help.

This should be easy and intuitive, wish it could be done easily in the chord window... (hint hint)

Thanks for any help!!!
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: Adding note based lyrics - 12/02/12 07:11 PM
Hi Gary,

There's a much easier way to enter lyrics. They are called "Bar Lyrics". This is also on the notation window, but it is an edit control that is always visible, and runs the whole widht of the screen. Just type whatever lyrics you want there.

They will show up on the notation window, and the leadsheet window, and printout.
Posted By: garyj Re: Adding note based lyrics - 12/02/12 08:57 PM
Peter, that sounds great, the Lead Sheet window is a new one on me.. but...

I can not find or activate any box or window to enter text in, in the Leadsheet window. All the staffs ,notes, etc. are there, though.

Referring back to the song with the weird line of lyric that won't go away, It is still there, down on the second line in the Leadsheet window. And not selectable or removable, even after blanking the lyrics.

Also: i open the Big Lyrics window and the weird line of text at first isn't there when I play the song, but then when I hit F4 to replay the song, then it appears way down low after the first 4 bars line! Along with the misplaced chords that now show up...

Still seems a bit buggy... ??
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: Adding note based lyrics - 12/03/12 01:48 AM
You don't enter lyrics on the leadsheet window. You can enter them on the notation window, and then they will show on the notation window and the leadsheet window (if Print Options - Line Lyrics is enabled)

This is the lyric area I'm referring to (screenshot from Windows version , but same on Mac)

http://screencast.com/t/CapG2XWYqqF
Posted By: garyj Re: Adding note based lyrics - 12/03/12 07:28 AM
hmmm... thanks, Peter. I find the text enter window you mentioned. But how do I reduce the font size or whatever to make a certain line of lyric fit within a bar?

And the text doesn't show up in the Big Lyrics window. -??

(thanks for your patience)
Posted By: TheSpanish Re: Adding note based lyrics - 12/03/12 08:37 AM
Sorry the intrusion, but the problem rishied was referring to, on top of this thread, was another: sometimes the lyric area doesn't beahave properly. Whether you put text on "bar lyrics" area or in the edit lyrics mode this text goes on the chords little box, top right of main window. On my computer this happens when i open biab from the internal hard drive, but everything works fine when i open the program from the external backup drive. Preferences seem to be the same on both versions, and both are updated to build 65.
Maybe reinstalling on internal hd solves the issue?
Posted By: garyj Re: Adding note based lyrics - 12/03/12 05:21 PM
Yes, TheSpanish Enthusiast is right, I did go off-topic. Sorry...

Trying not to 'go off' here, at all. But, man... I wish there was a simple and complete answer to this problem, that is true and not just theoretically true, and works completely, (once I follow the instructions correctly, that is...)
I wish I could find simple complete step-by-step instructions how to enter the dang text and have it show up where it should show up, such as in the BL window...

Arghh.
Posted By: delila black Re: Adding note based lyrics - 12/12/12 02:18 PM
Was this question ever answered? I'm wondering the same thing?
Posted By: rishied Re: Adding note based lyrics - 02/15/13 11:47 PM
I updated from 2012. Is there something wrong with my installing the update that makes the note lyric typing appear in the chord box instead of the lyric box?
Posted By: gurtelo Re: Adding note based lyrics - 02/16/13 04:22 PM
Apple designs and creates iPod and iTunes, Mac laptop and desktop computers, the OS X operating system, and the revolutionary iPhone and iPad.

denton music
© PG Music Forums