PG Music Home
Am programming a backing track for the Stevie Ray song LOOK AT LITTLE SISTER. And there are instances where everyone stabs for a complete bar using quarter note triplets. Any idea how to set that up in BIAB???
Paul,

Way cool song! I think you could do this with a sort of convoluted work around. What you're trying to create is the sound of 6 on 4 beats, so to speak. I think if you would insert two bars of 3/4 time in the place of the one bar where you want this effect, and then adjust the BPM of these two bars so that the 6 beats sounds in the time of one measure (BPM of song multiplied by 6/4 or 1.5). For these two bars enter your chord as shots - for example "Bb..,Bb.." in first cell, and "Bb.." in the second cell - for both 3/4 measures. Then, you've got to tell BIAB to go back to your normal BPM and 4/4 time in the following bar.

This will not look right at all (if you're using notation), but it should sound right.

Wow, now that I've thought this thru, I may have to give it a try!

Good luck,

Bruce
Bruce

Thanks for that detailed answer. I will give that a try on Tuesday and see how it pans out!

Paul

And yes, it is quite a cool song!
Paul,

I had some time to play with this yesterday, and did get it to work. For some reason, I had to have both cells in the first 3/4 measure entered as "C7..,C7..". That is, I had to enter four chords, even though there were only three beats in the measure. Interestingly, it would work with only three chords entered in the second 3/4 measure (?). Go figure. It also needed some volume reduction on the shots, which you can do - but apparently have to adjust this in each separate Real Track. If you can't get it to work, I can send you the file I made.

Also checked out your web site - cool stuff! Your BIAB tutorials are really good!

Bruce
Bruce

Thanks for the further post. I'll try and work it through myself before shouting for help! Then what I usually do is write a tutorial on it so that if I ever need to do it again I have it to reference!

Thanks for the kind words too!

paul
I am also trying the crochet of triplets in 3 quarter notes over half notes. I was able to do it in one measure with the following method: if the tempo was 100 for 4/4 time then for the crochet measure switch the tempo to 67 and 3 beats per measure. The only problem is that now I need a measure of one triplet over a half note but then the last two beats of the measure is even time. Any suggestions?
(I set the above using right click and selecting "Bar settings for Bar X" option)
tmm,

Welcome to the BIAB forum. I think you could accomplish this by inserting two separate measures in the place of this one measure. The first would be a two beat "triplet" measure with tempo adjusted as you did before. The second inserted measure would be regular two beat measure (back at initial tempo). The score for this would look all wrong, but it should play all right.

Bruce
© PG Music Forums