PG Music Home
Posted By: leopoldr Playing With Backing Track? - 12/31/15 08:07 PM
I'm looking to compose with BIAB and play along on my upright bass. I've been asked to provide background music at several venues. Has anyone done this? I haven't gotten BIAB yet. Will I compose the music, save to computer/iPad, run through mixer and to PA System/amps? Thanks for any feedback!

Bob
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: Playing With Backing Track? - 01/01/16 01:45 PM
You can mute the bass track and play along.

Here is how I make and use backing tracks in my duo http://www.nortonmusic.com/backing_tracks.html
Posted By: leopoldr Re: Playing With Backing Track? - 01/02/16 12:22 AM
Bob thanks for the great information. Do you see any limitations using the BIAB mobile app on an iPad to run the finished compositions? Do you know anyone who is doing this? I'm a Mac guy and think an iPad may be easier to maneuver than a computer. Thx! Bob
Posted By: Notes Norton Re: Playing With Backing Track? - 01/02/16 10:18 AM
I think using it on an iPad would be fine, but I see one problem with an iPod or mobile phone. Going from one song to the next might take too much time with your head buried in your device.

I don't do set lists, but read the crowd, so I can try to pace them in a way that enhances their experience. But even if I did to set lists, someone is going to come up and request a song sooner or later, and when he/she does, I don't want to take a minute or two between songs to tap, tap, tap, tap, to find it.

an iPad is different, not as convenient as a computer, but you can navigate more quickly using the pop-up keyboard.

I think the less time you spend messing with the computers and the more time you spend making eye contact with the audience, the better their experience will be, and that means you should get more opportunities to play for them (and make enough money to pay the rent).

In the great scheme of things, the money you spend on your tools is probably the best money you spend and gets returned each and every gig.

Insights and incites by Notes
Posted By: jazzsax Re: Playing With Backing Track? - 01/03/16 11:57 PM

leopoldr, welcome to the forum.

BIAB can do everything you are asking. I play solo with my backgrounds weekly. I use my MackBook in live performance using the built-in sounds therefore not needing any modules.
All the mixing is done in BIAB and I plug into one of 4 available PA systems for sound reinforcement and for vocals. In hundreds of jobs I have NEVER been questioned about the quality of the instruments from the Mac or the RealTracks and I am playing where the entire audience is focused on the music. I mention this because you say you are going to be doing background music.
To anyone who is using a Mac I strongly recommend Boom2 which is a download which allows you to control the EQ of the MacBook. As I mentioned I have 4 choices for sound reinforcement and the Boom2 lets me have different EQ settings for each.
Personally I would not use an iPad for live playing. I don't think you have enough control of the music. I keep a backup of all my BIAB songs on my iPhone and have used the phone to perform with several times and it is much more difficult for me. As Bob"Notes"Norton indicated it takes too much time between songs.
© PG Music Forums