PG Music Home
Posted By: Bjorn Beskow 'Drum Patch Changes' midi option - 05/05/16 09:15 AM
Hi,

I have finally migrated to the Mac version after 10 years of running BiaB Windows under Parallells Desktop. The 2016 version really narrows the gap enought for my needs. Nice work, PGMusic!

One thing is still missing, though. I use SampleTank's OmniSynth add-on for MIDI. In the Windows version of BiaB, there is an option in the Midi Options dialog to turn off Drum Patch Changes (to prevent BiaB to try to set the Drum Patch in OmniSynth, which results in a Grand Piano being assigned to the drum track). In the Mac version, I can only find a global 'Allow Patch Changes' option in the Midi Settings dialog, no option for turn off only the Drum track.

Am I missing something? Or could such an option be added, in a patch release, maybe?

/Björn
Posted By: JayO Re: 'Drum Patch Changes' midi option - 05/05/16 06:19 PM
Hey Björn,
You are correct, I dont see any option to disable program changes on just the drum track by itself.
Are these imported MIDI files, or a BIAB created song ?

If your importing from a MIDI file, there is an option to ignore all program changes when importing MIDI files, then you can assign MIDI program #'s in BIAB.

Also have you tried clicking on the drum track in the mixer, and from the popup menu selecting a GM patch # that corresponds to the drum kit you want in SampleTank ?

Hopefully this helps.

- Jay
Posted By: Bjorn Beskow Re: 'Drum Patch Changes' midi option - 05/06/16 06:19 AM
Hi Jay,

Thanks for the tips. I use OmniSynth most of the time for the MIDI tracks in BiaB-files (i.e. not imported MIDI files), where I don't care about tweaking MIDI patches for individual tracks. The beauty of the OmniSynth add-on to SampleTank is that it makes SampleTank behave like a GM synth module (and hence change patches according to the BiaB style used). The problem is just the Drum tracks, where this mechanism doesn't work (and the Drum track gets assigned a Grand Piano patch instead of a Drum patch).

Hence I do want the patch changes for all but the Drum track. The Windows version has a specific option for that, which is missing in the Mac version.

The workaround for me is to set the drum track instrument to 'No Drum Patch Change' in the mixer window, then (re)assign a proper Drum patch for the drum channel in SampleTank. It works, but I'll have to redo it for every new song I load. Not a big deal, but still annoying.

I'll file a request in the Wishlist forum, and hope for the best!

Regards
/Björn
© PG Music Forums