PG Music Home
Of all the plugins to enable to be hosted inside the latest release of BIAB - Kontakt HAS
to be the most obvious one to ensure gets supported.

But its 64 bit.

As the de-facto sample player with the largest collection of sample libraries out there - it seems a massively glaring omission to have released this version of BIAB that doesnt support it.
Oh and of course I get that one can use a "bridge".

Poor show. I don't go for such bodges. JBridge is a Kludge. And having to kludge to get Kontakt is shoddy.

In fact it was the presumption that PG MUST have realised that Kontakt HAS to be the number one plugin supported - a given - that on assuming this must be the case I just very recently opted to upgrade to 2016.

And now I find out that Kontakt CANNOT be seen !

Poor show PG.

If you had a school report just now it would read:

"Could do better".
I take it that Native Instruments doesn't make a 32-bit version for Mac?

NI does have 32-bit and 64-bit versions for Windows, so that seems surprising it's not the same for Mac. And you can install both on the same machine and choose the one you need.

By the way, does the bridge not work, or are you just philosophically against using it? PGMusic clearly knows that they are a 32-bit application (and we have all requested going to 64-bit, but it's not a snap of the finger - hopefully one day soon). However, in response to user requests to be able to use 64-bit plugins, they did provide a means to access 64-bit plugins (jbridge) and worked to integrate it into their product. Maybe not ideal, but certainly workable.

And of course, jbridge works both ways; in addition to loading 64-bit plugins in a 32-bit host, you can also load 32-bit plugins into a 64-bit host. That gives you access to all your plugins, whether using 32-bit or 64-bit DAW. Otherwise, your alternative would have be doing it by alternating between the 32-bit and 64-bit DAW, which to me seems like a greater kludge.

Quote:
"Could do better".

Couldn't we all?
JBridge does not work in OS 10.13 High Sierra. It was a kludge at best and not a very good one.

32Lives still works but it allows 32bit only plugins to work in 64bit apps — not the other way around.

PG Music has been silent on whether BIAB 2018 for Mac will be 64 bit or not. If not, many of us will not buy it. I’m ok with 2018 being late but I’m not ok with it being incompatible.

NI went 64 bit only with Kontakt for Mac in 2016—2 years before Apple and many other companies have followed suit.

The next Mac OS will be 64 bit only — Apple announced this years ago. If PG Music doesn’t want the revenue that they get from Mac users, then they can keep on keeping on.
© PG Music Forums