PG Music Home
Hi All,

I'm new - how do I export more than 32 bars to musicxml in the mac version? The PC version seems to be able to do this.
I hope there's someone out there with a mac who could try this and post their results.
Any takers?
Bump. Anyone with a mac who could try this?
I just confirmed this on my system too, there does seem to be a problem with xml export.

I exported a song that was 104 bars long, and imported the xml into Logic X.
Although the song created in Logic was the proper length, the MIDI data stops at a certain point.
With the song I tried the MIDI stopped at 34 bars.

I really haven't used this feature, and didn't notice it until now, hopefully this is something the PG guys can look into.

- Jay
I would suggest sending an email to support at pgmusic dot com and reference this thread.
Yes, agreed. I've reported it also. Hopefully someone will see it.
BTW, thanks Jay for taking the time to test this. Appreciated.
any response from the PG crew as to why and is there a fix sooooon ???
I've tried everything and still it can't be done
Anyone know if this has this been fixed in the 2017 version?
I tried loading a midi style demo but BB freezes up when saving to xml.
Maybe someone else can try.
I reported this in February:

I cannot longer import XML Files which are created in iRealPro.
Biab always cuts off the first two bars, no matter what I check in the import dialogue.
I reported this issue already a few days before Christmas, and the chat operator could reproduce the bug on his own mac.
The problem occurred round November, it worked well in September, so I guess it depends on a patch update....
The problem also occurres on both of my machines iMac and MacMini.
BiaB is running on an external harddrive, also on both machines.
Hereby I will send you three of the xml files.
May be one of you guys knows iRealPro an hopefully can reproduce the bug.
I hope we can solve the problem, because I really need this workflow ...
I have reported the problem too.

- Jay
Posted By: Pipeline Re: pidgin musicxml - 04/24/17 06:28 PM
I found musicxml a nightmare, no matter what application you use there's always a problem with something missing, importing but not exporting, one app reads some parts correctly another app don't read it at all, one app will import it then export as something different.
Midi is a Standard that works from app to app but xml there's no Standard adhered to, it's all different from app to app.
Every company seems to have their own version/language, like communicating in broken English, pidgin musicxml.

http://www.musicxml.com/for-developers/
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: pidgin musicxml - 04/25/17 01:43 PM
Yes, we will look at that XML issue, and fix for the next free patch.
Posted By: Mike Halloran Re: pidgin musicxml - 04/25/17 07:57 PM
Originally Posted By: Pipeline

Midi is a Standard that works from app to app but xml there's no Standard adhered to, it's all different from app to app. ...
The big problem is that there is so much you can do with MusicXML. Worse is that not everyone is using 3.0 and that developers can pick and chose how they implement it. Plus, 3.1 is expected to be released sometime in June this year.
https://www.musicxml.com/musikmesse-2017-update/

MIDI, besides being much simpler, came of age in the 1980s and has been stagnant since the mid 1990s (and that was Yamaha and Roland adding their touches).

I have not tried exporting BIAB tracks as MusicXML. I'm on a Mac and 32 bars just won't cut it. Besides, my DAW of choice doesn't support import and... well... I am not a fan of Logic even though I have the latest and greatest.

So, for now, MIDI will be fine. Still, I would like to see this fixed, too — especially since I also use Finale and Notion..
Posted By: Jim Fogle Re: pidgin musicxml - 04/26/17 04:58 PM
[quote=Mike Halloran (snip) ... MIDI, besides being much simpler, came of age in the 1980s and has been stagnant since the mid 1990s (and that was Yamaha and Roland adding their touches).[/quote]

Mike, welcome to the forum! I don't understand why you believe midi is stagnant compared to MusicXML. That is like comparing apples and oranges.

MusicXML is a standard designed for sharing sheet music files between computer applications and archiving sheet music files.

The midi standard covers both hardware and message protocols. The hardware standard is constantly updated. Midi communication is now possible through USB and bluetooth connections in addition to the original 5 pin connector.

MIDI message protocol is composed of note, pitch-bend, program change, aftertouch, clock, transport and exclusive events.

Regarding song playback, both standards depend on the quality of the sound generators. Expression depends on the skill and knowledge of the song creator.
Posted By: jford Re: pidgin musicxml - 04/26/17 05:12 PM
And the two aren't the same. MIDI is for generating actual audio, and while MusicXML can be ultimately used to generate audio, it's primary focus is elements of notation.

What would be cool would be if there could be a hybrid standard, maybe, MIDIMusicXML that incorporates the elements of notation, along with the performance aspects of MIDI. The MIDI standard could be extended to support a lot more playback implementation, maybe even with what might be viewed as proprietary controllers that supported various audio implementations from the major vendors, such as information saved with DAWs relating to VSTi parameters. Yes it would take a lot of thought to execute, but man, talk about interoperability and playability.
Posted By: Mike Halloran Re: pidgin musicxml - 04/29/17 07:49 PM
I was responding to the original poster who asked why MIDI was consistent and .xml wasn't.

I am very familiar with both MIDI and MusicXML and have been as long as both have been around. I am quite comfortable with what I wrote. I did not claim that they both encompassed the same functions although, on the surface, many do overlap. Many DAWs are now able to export .xml and a few, such as Logic and Reaper, can also import (ok, not very well but that should improve).

Here's the short answer: MIDI may have more ways of being communicated but it is still a simple protocol that hasn't really changed since the late 1980s—except for what Roland and Yamaha added in the mid '90s and that wasn't universally adopted.

MusicXML is a much more comprehensive protocol set that developers can implement in many ways. It will be interesting to see if MusicXML 3.1, due to be released in a couple of months, changes any of this.

The fact is that no two notation applications handle .xml files the same is not the fault of the protocol set but the way that it is implemented by application developers. MIDI, being far simpler, has much less leeway in this regard.
© PG Music Forums