PG Music Home
Posted By: jazzsax Going back to v.2016? - 06/25/18 11:02 PM
I have been having problems with Mac v.2018 which I will document here shortly.
In the mean time am I correct in thinking that if I revert to v.2016 I can still use the
newer RealTracks and RealDrums that came along with the 2018 release?
Posted By: Mike Halloran Re: Going back to v.2016? - 06/26/18 12:54 AM
Some Mac users are complaining about the new view.

Command t or ⌘ t gives you the old view and lets you switch back and forth on a Mac.

It was posted as Command T in another thread which is incorrect. Adding the Shift key to capitalize the t doesn't work.
Posted By: w Re: Going back to v.2016? - 06/26/18 01:35 AM
Originally Posted By: jazzsax
I have been having problems with Mac v.2018 which I will document here shortly.
In the mean time am I correct in thinking that if I revert to v.2016 I can still use the

Indeed we need more information from you as to the actual problems you have with Mac 2018 Band.

You bring up a very interesting idea that I am not so sure will work.

As best as I understand this RealTracks and RealDrums are very closely related to the style when you launch Style Picker.

Therefor using tracks and drums created by another version of the Band can't be loaded into the Song you will be working on.

If this is wrong, someone who knows more than me about the Mac Band will be along shortly to correct this.
Posted By: Mike Halloran Re: Going back to v.2016? - 06/26/18 02:14 AM
Not I. Although I have a 2016 serial number, I bought so close to the 2017 release that PGMusic exchanged for 2017 (thanks!) after I sent the 2016 hard drive back and those files are no longer available for download.
Posted By: jazzsax Re: Going back to v.2016? - 06/26/18 02:33 AM
Mike, I am not referring to the views that are available. What I am trying to get corrected is related to jukebox mode and when exiting jukebox, BIAB becomes unusable. I playe live using BIAB today and one wrong click in jukebox mode can destroy an entire performance.

W, I will attempt to document my process of going back to 2016 to see if there is a version where I first see the jukebox problem appear.

What I have now is a old 2007 Macbook in which BIAB 2016 works perfectly for my needs, (live performance) and a much newer and faster 2010 Macbook that worked wonderfully until 2018 was installed that can take up to 20 to 30 seconds to LOAD a song and then randomly start playing that song at measure 8, 17 or even measure 47. Lots of the stopwatch and beachball icons.
Posted By: Pipeline Re: Going back to v.2016? - 06/26/18 04:08 AM
Originally Posted By: jazzsax

If you install 2018 it will put the new DEFAULT.SOL that should have all the new RealTracks in it.
There are also other files that contain the new RealDrums and drum info.

If you then extract Band-in-a-Box.app out of the latest 2016 update with something like Pacifist and rename it Band-in-a-Box 2016.app it should all work.
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: Going back to v.2016? - 06/26/18 12:58 PM
We haven’t seen any problems with the jukebox. If you have a folder of songs that duplicate the issue please send a .zip of them to us at support@pgmusic.com

Posted By: jazzsax Re: Going back to v.2016? - 06/26/18 03:30 PM
I recorded a quicktime video of the problem.
I will try to attach, but it appears that the is too large.
Soo...I sent it to youtube (my very first youtube!)

https://youtu.be/UNSy_yXolFc
Posted By: w Re: Going back to v.2016? - 06/26/18 06:41 PM
Quote:
What I am trying to get corrected is related to jukebox mode and when exiting jukebox, BIAB becomes unusable.

First of all thanks for zeroing in on what you were having problems with.

However not having the problems you talk about in your video or even in general ( macos high sierra )

I have also tried this in Mac Band 2014, 2015 , 2016, 2017 , and 2018 with no problems. My copies of Mac Band prior to 2014 are in another recording studio.

Posted By: Pipeline Re: Going back to v.2016? - 06/26/18 06:47 PM
If you rendered each song to video would you still be able to use it that way ? as this would be instant play from a playlist in a media player.
Posted By: JayO Re: Going back to v.2016? - 06/26/18 10:31 PM
Hey Jazzsax,
Sorry you're having trouble.

I looked at the video, and noticed you were using a lot of RealTracks (at least in the video).
Not sure if this is the answer or not, but I was curious what you had this setting set to in the RealTracks prefs window.

- Jay

Attached picture Screen Shot 2018-06-26 at 9.26.46 PM.png
Posted By: Mike Halloran Re: Going back to v.2016? - 06/27/18 11:04 PM
Jay may be onto something. I know the 2007 MacBook—my wife and daughter each had one.

These came with 1G RAM upgradable to 3G (mid 2007) or 6G (late 2007). Likewise, it came with an old, slow 120–160G hard drives. Unless it has been upgraded to an SDD, this is a slow Mac by any standard.

If you do not have 3G RAM, I may have a pair of sticks that will work (I meant to recycle but it may be in a box in my garage). Anyway, if you need and I still have, it’s yours. You pop the little keyboard clips, if I recall correctly.

If you still have a mechanical hard drive, an SSD (solid state drive) will make your MacBook run many times faster. 240–250G drives run $50–$80 on Amazon.

High Sierra will not run on these. Lion is the latest OS but most are running Snow Leopard as you can still run PPC apps with Rosetta enabled.
Posted By: JayO Re: Going back to v.2016? - 06/28/18 05:59 PM
Well... in my very "un-scientific" tests here (counting in my head), turning this option off probably adds about 20-25 seconds of loading time, as compared to the same song with that option turned on.

Hopefully that's the only problem.
It would be nice to hear back if that takes care of it for him.

- Jay
Posted By: jazzsax Re: Going back to v.2016? - 06/29/18 12:32 PM
Jay, I’ve been away from the computer for a few days but did change to high from medium. Maybe a few seconds faster but no more than 3 or 4. Since all tracks are frozen, my thinking was this would not save much time.
The beachball and still spins and the song begins to play at random measures.
When I get time I will try going back in “time machine” to see if there is a point where everything works. These problems are fairly recent.
© PG Music Forums