PG Music Home
Posted By: JoanneCooper Yousician songs in pdf - 04/14/24 05:49 AM
Hello all.
I recently had a knee operation that rendered me immobile for 6 weeks. I decided to use the time to take a Yousician guitar course.

I would love to somehow print out some tabs so that I can try and play the melody of some of my favourite songs (like Whisky in the jar) without the backing track and bouncing ball prompt. Do any of you tech wizards know how to do this. I can’t find anything using Google.

Your help is appreciated.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Yousician songs in pdf - 04/14/24 01:51 PM
The first place I always check is the free

https://www.chords-and-tabs.net/

I checked but they didn't have it but these did:

https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/tab/metallica/whiskey-in-the-jar-tabs-168016

https://www.songsterr.com/a/wsa/metallica-whiskey-in-the-jar-tab-s326

I hope this helps and good luck.

{edit} I forgot to mention I hope you fully recover soon.
Posted By: bloc-head Re: Yousician songs in pdf - 04/14/24 02:05 PM
Can't help with the bouncing ball, but I can, and do offer my sympathy, and hopes for a complete recovery... My wife had knee surgery and I know it's not a picnic...
All the best to you, and good luck.
Posted By: musiclover Re: Yousician songs in pdf - 04/14/24 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by JoanneCooper
Hello all.
I recently had a knee operation that rendered me immobile for 6 weeks. I decided to use the time to take a Yousician guitar course.

I would love to somehow print out some tabs so that I can try and play the melody of some of my favourite songs (like Whisky in the jar) without the backing track and bouncing ball prompt. Do any of you tech wizards know how to do this. I can’t find anything using Google.

Your help is appreciated.

Sometimes these tabs have the melody notes on higher frets which is not ideal on an acoustic guitar.

Often the melody of the song is contained in one of the notes of the actual basic chord being played, such as C, F or G. Tip When fingering the basic G chord sometimes the melody note is the third fret of second string D, so it helps a lot to quickly be able to play that basic G with the third fret of second string. fingered too

I would suggest just for a song in the Key of C, just learn the C major scale starting with the root on third fret of fifth string..

You can actually have a nice little backing/melody going at the same time by hitting the melody note within the chords and just strumming along with a few snap ons.

Try it with something like Amazing Grace

Just do it with the pick, I do it all the time, no way a great guitarist or anything.

After a while you will get good at it, and people will recognise what you are playing.
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: Yousician songs in pdf - 04/15/24 05:05 AM
Thanks guys.

Yes musiclover, Yousician tends to have melody notes way up the neck. I suppose it is to get you to learn the fret board but it also teaches you to do bends, slides and hammer ons and offs which make a solo of the melody more interesting.

But still I am interested in learning how to pick out the melody within the chords. I have a friend who is a brilliant guitarist and that is how he sometimes plays.

I think my approach is going to be to pick a couple of songs I like (Danny Boy/Whiskey in the Jar) and download a midi file. Then I will retain the midi melody, assign a real style and the just try to play the melody by ear along with the BIAB file.

I am currently playing at a farmers market on a Saturday morning (with BIAB backing tracks) and will start inserting a few of those songs.

I am really enjoying learning through Yousician but boy it is tough! I bought myself an electric guitar because you can’t “progress” unless you “pass” a previous level and I found some songs impossible on my acoustic guitar (for me😀).

Thanks for the responses. The knee is getting better and hopefully I only have another two weeks on crutches.
© PG Music Forums