PG Music Home
Greetings all
The song title suggests anger but this is more of a tongue-in-cheek look at a serious problem.

My biggest decision with this song was trying to find a comfortable style/genre for it. The initial work was done with BIAB and midi, the arrival of RTs helped to give it a comfortable country-shuffle feel.

http://web.ncf.ca/ifraser/RoadRage.html - with lyrics
http://web.ncf.ca/ifraser/RoadRage_Mix3_10Mar05.mp3 - no lyrics

One of the above links should work with your browser. (Note Firefox 3+ will only play the embedded MP3 if you have Quicktime loaded for playing MP3s. WMP11 has its own problems playing MP3s embedded if you use FF 3+)

I’d be grateful for any production comments regarding mix, eq, etc. – my ultimate goal is to produce a comfortable and interesting demo suitable for showcasing the song. Your feedback has always been helpful.

Thanks - Ian
Ian, this is your best to date. Great lyrics and vocals plus the mix is perfect! Straight to the keeper folder.

Ps – did you think of the lyrics while you were driving in upper western NY? They sure match the driving style of many drivers here!
Thanks for the kind comments Mario.

This delayed development offshoot species about which the song is written is called Homo Rageous, locally for you the sub species would be Genus NewYorkis.

Cheers - Ian
Quote:

Thanks for the kind comments Mario.

This delayed development offshoot species about which the song is written is called Homo Rageous, locally for you the sub species would be Genus NewYorkis.

Cheers - Ian

Not to nit-pick Ian but I do believe you spelled “ genius ” wrong
I give up. I finally consented to add Quicktime to my laptop. However, when I subsequently tried to play your piece, it once again invited me to manually install QT. (This was in Firefox.) No thanks.

R.
Thanks for trying Ryszard. I'm surprised you could not use the second link and "save target as..." by right clicking.

Cheers - Ian
Quote:

Ian, this is your best to date. Great lyrics and vocals plus the mix is perfect! Straight to the keeper folder.

I endorse Mario's comments 200%. It's a great a song, Ian. The production, the singing, the lyrics, the song, everything works for me

All the best,
Noel
Yep - you did that one good.

Very enjoyable. Mix and vocals sounding good.
Ian,

That was a slam dunk!

If you gig, I predict this will quickly become your most requested song.
OUtstanding Ian from every point of view. Love the organ, confident vocals, witty lyrics to tackle an important subject (i'm a cyclist!).

GReat job

ps
Did you leave those two guitar notes at the end so we would have some small criticism to make?!
Hi Ian,
Great song with really good lyrics. The mix was good and the song moves well and your voice is good.
I enjoyed it very much
Jim
(singing)
"Well I woke up Sunday morning with no way to hold my head that didn't hurt,
(apologies to Kris K) Had a second cup of coffee and read the critique from mglinert . . ."
and Jim and P'man and Noel and Pat.

Yes I know Marc - apologies for the poet license invoked for the pronunciation of your on-line handle . . . (I'm assuming it would normally rhyme more with "air" than "hurt" )
The song ending with the guitar chord is a tribute to every guitarist (myself included) who has to have the last "word" over the drummer at a song's conclusion (particularly in a practice session
) It seemed to fit and give it a bit of a "live" feel.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to check the song out, it's a relief to know that the mix works.
I really count on your ears and opinions.
A closing word to Marc - so you're a cyclist on the roads in France - God Bless you my son.

Cheers all - Ian
Quote:

:D (singing)
The song ending with the guitar chord is a tribute to every guitarist (myself included) who has to have the last "word" over the drummer at a song's conclusion (particularly in a practice session
) It seemed to fit and give it a bit of a "live" feel.

Cheers all - Ian

I think little touches like that serve to make songs sound more realistic, as you said. BIAB is a bit too perfect in terms of timing. For the same reason that many people favor groove quantizing, I like to hear human judgment calls applied to BIAB compositions, because that's exactly what happens on stage.

This is one of those topics in which people seem to have dramatically different opinions. Some think intros and endings need to be perfectly timed, and the drums need to be quantized and perfectly synched to the bass. Yeah, some of the time, depending on the song. But I also like the "live" feel.
Ian,

What a fun song! Well written and likewise performed.

Later
Loved it Ian. Well done.
And may I add to that the "genus Louisianaus."
Thanks Josie, good to hear from you.
"Genus Louisianaus" it is . . . it's in the book.

Ian
Nice job! To me, it sounded like live musicians playing.
I could easily see this being done on stage.

Thanks for posting.

Mick
Citaat:

Nice job! To me, it sounded like live musicians playing.
I could easily see this being done on stage.

We want more!, we want more!, we want more! (etc)

Great work. Nice song, good flow, bang-on lyrics, well sung, nicely produced. All thumbs up!
Hi Mick, I should have answered this earlier about the "live" sound.
I'm hoping it actually sounded "live" because that's what I was trying for.
I recorded three live harmony tracks basically with the same line except for the odd
note differences to give the effect of three "band members" singing along. Also found
a setting in Classic Reverb to try and emulate small live stage area. Then dropped the whole mix into it. Each instrument of course had its own PG produced reverb.

Who knows, some day I may actually get to do it on stage . . . or live at least.
Ian
© PG Music Forums