PG Music Home
Posted By: Noel96 NEW SONG: Feel The Power (up-tempo Gospel) - 03/07/10 09:28 PM
Hi all,

I thought I try my hand at writing a Gospel song with an old-time, up-tempo feel to it. This song is what my co-writer and I came up with. We had a lot of fun putting this one together and we'd really appreciate your thoughts on how it sounds and any ideas you might have.

Feel The Power

Hope you enjoy it
Noel
I like it! Good guitar picking.

Don S.
Good on ya, Noel - it worked well. Lyrics, tune, production.
Maybe consider making the second chorus a cappella then back in with full instrumentation for your exit.

Well done - Ian
Noel,

that was totally cohesive... technically, nothing at all sounded misaligned, wrong, or in need of improvement in any way whatsoever. As an added bonus, I really enjoy hearing your Aussie accent... it makes all your songs instantly more appealing. I also have a special affection for any music that exalts Christianity, and old-time gospel is certainly in that genre.

Keep up the good work! I always enjoy hearing what you are working on! You are one of the more prolific contributors to the group, and so if much time passes without a song from you, I start to wonder if you're OK

;-)
Hi Don,

Thanks for taking time and listening I'd love to lay claim to the guitar picking but it's RTs all the way. There sure are some fine musicians in the Realtrack mix.

Glad to hear the song worked for you. It was fun writing it.

Take care,
Noel
Hey Ian,

Thank you. I appreciate your comments as I always find your thoughts useful. I hadn't thought about using a capella. I find that quite an interesting idea and I'll have a play around with it because I really enjoy a capella music. My all-time favorite group in this genre is Tonic Sol-Fa. Below is a link to one of their songs. It's a pity they don't have too many on YouTube.

Oklahoma Wind: Tonic Sol-Fa plus here's the lyrics.

All the best with your songwriting
Noel
Well done Noel, it had me taping my feet all the way through. If you don't mind me asking what style and what live drums you used?

Later,
I'll give the link a listen later.
In the meantime to give you the idea I had in mind here is a link to a song on my website.
I use a cappella at the beginning and again near the end of At The Cafe Tonight.
http://web.ncf.ca/ifraser/AtTheCafeTonight.html
Hopefully the link will work OK.

Ian
I'll say "Ditto" to all the positive comments - good writing, good energy, very nice harmonies. I would like to hear the lead vocal more out front. Try boosting the EQ around 8000hz or 12000hz. Maybe a little compression.

The guitar parts sound like they did not get to finish. Like you potted them down before the end of their phrase. I often find myself regenerating realtracks solos in a 1or 2 bar space, sometimes even less than a full bar, over and over until I get a solo that just fits the space I give it. Keep trying.

There is a very common chord change in gospel that goes from the IV major to the #iv diminished, then V7, then to the I. In C it would be

F/// | F#dim/// | G7/// | C///|

...there were a few spots in your melody that hinted at a chord change of this kind. Try it in BiaB and see if it does not fit.

Hi Noel,
Quite uplifting. Ian gave you a good suggestion - this is done in southern Gospel style quite often.
Odd how different ears hear things. Where Flatfoot would eq and compress, I liked the vocal sound very much and the way it sat in the mix. Go figure.
Keep up the good work.

Josie
Hi Danny C.,

Thank you for having a listen. I appreciate the feedback a great deal. After a while, I lose objectivity regarding my songs and I find other people's feedback very valuable to help me regain my perspective.

These days I like to keep a hard-copy record of how I assemble songs. Below is that information. Hope it's useful for you

Kind regards,
Noel

ASSEMBLING "Feel The Power"

1. Band In A Box
The music and lyrics were assembled using the MIDI. When the song was done, some Realtracks were employed.
  • Used MIDI style, Burkes.sty
  • Replaced MIDI tracks with the following Realtracks: Bass – #538, Bass, Acoustic, Pop Swing 190; Guitar – #374, Guitar, Acoustic, Strumming Hank Sw 190
  • Realdrums – Country Swing
  • Tempo 210

2. Realband
  • Soloist added: #818 – Guitar, Electric, Soloist CountryClassicSwing Sw 190
  • TC Helicon was later applied to lead vocals that had been recorded in Sonar Home Studio (2 down, 2 up, medium sized choir).
  • Vocal harmony was written to separate tracks and imported into Sonar for mixing

3. Sonar Home Studio
  • A soundfont was used with SFZ player for the MIDI organ track from BIAB
  • Blockfish compressor was used on the vocals. (I've found this compressor simple yet effective; best of all, it's free.)
  • To lightly compress the final mix, I used GranComp3.
Hi Ian,

Thank you for the link to "Cafe Tonight": it worked fine. I really like the relaxed folk'ish feel that your song has. The a capella intro was excellent and worked very well. Thanks for passing that on

Take care,
Noel
Hi flatfoot,

Thanks for the positive feedback. I'll definitely have a play around with EQ. At present, what you are hearing is my unaltered voice with just a hint of compression. Thanks for your thoughts about the guitar, too. I'll investigate that.

The IV, IVdim, V7, I chord progression didn't even occur to me! I have no idea why I didn't think about that because it's one of the staples of my music diet! I appreciate your reminding me about this one. And you are totally right, it's a signature progression in this genre and my piece does have places where it could be used effectively.

When are you posting your next song? I really like hearing your work

Regards,
Noel
Hello Josie,

Thank you giving my song a listen. I'll keep your comments about the vocals in mind while I play around with flatfoot's suggestions Differing opinions are always good food for thought!

All the best,
Noel
Hi Pat,

Thank you. I have a great deal of respect for your opinions. And you even enjoy listening to an Aussie accent - that's a plus

I'm really looking forward to hearing your next songs. Those that you recently posted are excellent. I thoroughly enjoyed them.

All the best,
Noel
Nice song. Well done. It really radiates positive vibes!

TC was a bit too obvious imho. Perhaps if you tried just 1 or 2 harmony voices the "tin can sound" is reduced enough so that it will blend in with the background.

Good song, well done.
Posted By: enjfb Re: NEW SONG: Feel The Power (up-tempo Gospel) - 03/08/10 10:32 AM
Hi Noel,
A very lively song with lots of energy to put over your message - well performed and sung. I thought your voice came over very well and I would not want to use any further eqing or compression.

I enjoyed your song Noel even though I am not into religion. I can imagine this going down well with young Christian gatherings.

I liked the guitar playing.

Jim
Hey Mike,

Thanks for listening and taking time to post comments. I appreciate the feedback. As I've mentioned before, I have a huge respect for your ability. I'm still playing around with the harmony because I know that I can make it bit better yet. One thing I've learned with writing songs is to let it all take its own time. Patience is important.

I'm looking forward to hearing the next showcasing of your talent

All the best,
Noel
Hello enjfb,

Thank you I'm very appreciative that you took time out to have a listen and post me your thoughts here on the forums. I never used to see myself as a performer but these days I'm throwing caution to the wind. I really like the old style, up-tempo gospel songs. To me, they overflow with enthusiasm and energy and I think that gives them some appeal to Christians and non-Christians alike.

I'm hoping to hear some more of your work in the near future. Those recent postings of yours were terrific

Kind regards,
Noel
Brimming with confidence on this one Noel in both the wrting and, in particular, your lead vox, which have really come on in leaps and bounds.

The song itself is very cohesive - well judged in terms of length and structure and the message is loud and clear.

A few small points you may care to look at:
For some reason your lead vox tracks seems to get quieter in the v after the solo.
"Rock" and "Gods" ? (that doesn't sound like something you picked up at those lyric writing workshops!). Would "stone' yield better rhyming options?
To carry on the gospel analogy, I remain a TC Helicon agnostic. To me, it always sounds kind of tinny and artificial.
The guitar solo - good in parts - still sounds cobbled together to me (showing the limits of the RealBand approach). So many of the phrases just seem to cut off abruptly - particularly in the first few bars of the solo 1:23 - 1:30- rather than flowing smoothly into the next phrase. But if I carry on in this vein, the PG MUsic moderators will come looking for me!
Quote:

To carry on the gospel analogy, I remain a TC Helicon agnostic. To me, it always sounds kind of tinny and artificial.

using the same analogy, this is one of those topics that people tend to pursue with religious fervor (or not)

All gear has its limitations in terms of what it can do to improve a performance. If the performance sucks, most gear won't fix it. But, used correctly, it can often make dramatic improvements. Vocal processors are perhaps the most difficult of musical gear to "dial in". Vocals naturally have a lot of variation. Too much variation makes the listener uncomfortable. Too much symmetry sounds canned.

The goal is to find the sweet spot where music does not sound artificially perfect, but it also doesn't sound notably flawed. Just as it is difficult to learn how to compress, EQ and mix music, it is foolish not to endure that learning curve, because the end results are so much better.

Likewise, it is a hassle to learn how to use vocal processing to achieve a natural and pleasing result, but the end result, once you know how to do it, is highly desirable.

I have noticed that a growing trend in pop music is the unabashed use of vocal processing, where the vocals are treated as an instrument, and purposefully contrived to sound mechanical and synthesized. To do this is a highly artistic and personal choice, and not everyone likes the way it sounds. But, suffice to say, it appears to be a growing trend, especially in the cutting edge genres.
Quote:

I have noticed that a growing trend in pop music is the unabashed use of vocal processing, where the vocals are treated as an instrument, and purposefully contrived to sound mechanical and synthesized. To do this is a highly artistic and personal choice, and not everyone likes the way it sounds. But, suffice to say, it appears to be a growing trend, especially in the cutting edge genres.

I should probably add that there is another trend in the direction of singing off key. This is more noticeable among home recording enthusiasts in places like Song Ramp. You don't hear it nearly as much on professional recordings, where they tend to weigh in on the heavily processed paradigm. Bob Dylan and Sonny Bono are two examples of professional artists whose singing is neither pitch perfect nor pitch corrected. But Cher Bono is a good example of a bad example of somebody whose singing IS pitch corrected and canned.

Many of these people would rather err on the side of sounding natural even if it offends the musical sensibilities of the listener. But then, over-processing also offends a different sensibility.

I think there is value in both approaches. My own preference is in the direction of moderately processed music that sounds natural, but doesn't contain bad notes or overly misaligned phrasing. I set that as a goal, not as a claim of having already achieved it.

On my recent submissions, I purposefully skipped the vocal processor with the assumption that some misalignment sounds natural and desirable. But many of the observations revealed that I had allowed too much variation, and it left the listener feeling uncomfortable. Interesting stuff.

As we analyze, the sweet spot becomes visible. It's like looking for ghosts in a smoky room with strobe lights
Hi marc,

How's things? Hope all is well with you

Thank you for having a listen to "Feel The Power". From past posts, I know that you like your rhymes perfect, in the style of theater music, so I can appreciate the jarring effect of rock/God's. These days I tend to follow a Steve Seskin approach and look to assonance rhymes if I can't find something a little closer to the mark. To be honest, though, it embarrasses me to admit that I hadn't thought of "stone" instead of "rock"! Thank you for that, I'll let it swim around in my head for a little bit and see what happens. I think it's brilliant how comments from people such as yourself, here on the forums, can open doors in the imagination. You always give me ideas that I'm thankful for. I'll be looking at those spots that you have drawn my attention to.

TC Helicon is convenient and it sounds reasonable to my ears. I appreciate that it's got that "electronicness" about it, though. My interest is writing songs and, as it is, I don't have too much time to be able to do that. Using TC Helicon makes it just that little bit easier to chase my hobby as a writer of songs rather than being an arranger of songs.

Thanks heaps for your comments about my singing I'm still smiling. As you know, I don't think of myself as a singer - well, perhaps a little bit more these days than I used to.

Take care,
Noel
About the TC voices, Noel - try to reduce the harsh, brittle aspect in the 1k-3k range and see what happens - then maybe apply a bit in the 160-300 to "warm them up" - might mask the tinniness just enough.

Ian
Hey Pat,

I like the way you think

Noel
Quote:

About the TC voices, Noel - try to reduce the harsh, brittle aspect in the 1k-3k range and see what happens - then maybe apply a bit in the 160-300 to "warm them up" - might mask the tinniness just enough.

Thanks for the tip, Ian. I owe you one!

Noel
Quote:

Ian

Ian,
the very specific nature of your recommendations indicates that you must use some kind of reference for your EQing. Can you point me in the general direction of your source?
Pat

Before my hearing really dropped a year ago I was doing some experimenting with eq screening the TC harmony track - noticed it sounded edgy and tried to take the edge off and warm it up - just enough so that it didn't stand out behind the main vocal.

Check this thread from last December about what certain ranges of frequencies can do.
http://www.pgmusic.com/ubbthreads/showfl...true#Post248681

Hope this is what you wanted. Ian
Like it. Nice and bouncy! Great message!

Listen To My Music
Read My Blog
This is truly is one from down south! I love the southern gospel sound coupled with the jazz guitar. A new direction. One thing you never hear in Southern Gospel is a guitar... let alone, a nice sounding jazz guitar! SG would sound a lot more fun if they had more of that!

There is one tweak instrumentally on the end that I would modify to rise up to the vocal ending. The vocals sound like it resolved completely, yet the music dropped off rather suddenly and somewhat out of sync with each other. I would polish the ending to match up to the strong vocal close and that would push it over the top.

If I were to add anything in my opinion, more of the jazz gutar fills and perhaps have it punch in some nice chordal accents using the same voice setting for taste.

RickeG
Quote:

I know that you like your rhymes perfect

…at the very least, Noel!

everything fine here, thanks - but we could do with some Aussie temperatures.
I can just picture you sitting there now, jotting down a line then crossing it out muttering into your XXXX "nah mate, that would never get past Marc!"

I had a few trial runs with "stone" which I didn't include yesterday as the rhyme still isn't perfect.*

I very much share your songwriter’s view that what we really want to do is get the song in the can as quickly as possible in an acceptable way and move on to the next one.

With regard to non-lead vocal lines (whether harms or 2ble tracking) I wonder if it’s not quicker simply to record them - using the settings already entered for the lead line. By the time you’ve messed around with all the various settings and permutations in harmonising software you could have recorded quite a few takes.

* best of these possibly

Then there was Jonah who was flound'ring in the ocean
He started sinking like a stone
A big ol' fish just scooped him up and swam him safe to shore
God's light once more had shone
Noel and Marc - couldn't resist

Noel - I thought the original lyrics were fine, and as you put it:
Quote:

These days I tend to follow a Steve Seskin approach and look to assonance rhymes if I can't find something a little closer to the mark.

I'm not a stickler for exact rhyme and Marc knows this. But . . .
for the sake of lyrical exercise . . . how about incorporating Marc's "stone" and round the verse off like this:

Then there was Jonah who was flound'ring in the ocean
He started sinking like a stone
A big ol' fish just scooped him up and carried him to shore
God never ever leaves you on your own.
OR
If I was to invoke my irreverent sense of humour, the last line might be "God never ever lets you swim alone."
Not very profound I'm afraid - it rhymes, but I prefer the original version. It seems to me that if "near rhymes" are ignored, then constraints are put on creativity.
Good luck with the fine tuning of this one, Noel - looking forward to the tweaked version.

Ian
There is a heirarchy of cheese here somewhere. Maybe we can nail it down.

The best lyrics are composed with words that express the idea vividly, but without resorting to word combinations that have been overused

Therefore, while finding perfect rhymes is desirable in one way, they are the very same word combinations that are most likely to be trite and overused.

A NEAR rhyme, especially when it manages to capture the essence of the idea, is a marvelous thing. Even more marvelous is a perfect rhyme that manages to employ a combination of words that haven't already been married in thousands of well-known songs.

BUT, a near rhyme that adds nothing to the mix except a matching vowel sound pretty much ALWAYS comes across as a failure to find the right word.

If you can only have one, I prefer substance over form every time. Vivid imagery and clever phrasing takes precedence over mechanical use of terms.
That is why I write only instrumentals.
Pat - you nailed it, I couldn't agree more.

Apologies Noel for detouring things a bit.

Keep your good thing going.
Ian
Noel,
If I may hijack the thread again..

This topic of lyrics has set my mind in motion and I can't stop thinking about it. Not only are word combinations subject to cliche, but the very ideas we write songs about are subject to the same cliches. Some of the best lyrics stand out because they approach a common topic in an uncommon way.

For the sake of discussion, let's look at the song you have posted here: a song about Jonah, a story which is very familiar to most people in Western civilization.

This story can be approached directly, or indirectly. The direct approach would be to paraphrase the existing details of the story, but in lyrical form. IMHO, the direct approach is where we are most likely to experience cliche problems, because the most commonly understood way of looking at anything is the way it is most commonly discussed, hence the cliche.

A somewhat less direct approach would be to consider the elements of the story in new ways, especially if there is symbolism that can turn a one dimensional understanding (one simple interpretation) into a multi-dimensional interpretation (many possible interpretations, and the listener gets to decide).

As I read the biblical account of Jonah, my mind starts asking questions. Is there a relationship between the fact that Jonah spent 3 days in the belly of the whale, and Christ spent 3 days in the tomb? Is there symbolic significance to the many facets of the story? Or are they just random details?

Bonding one idea to another seeming unrelated idea opens up all sorts of interpretive lyrical possibilities, and virtually guarantees that you will take the lyrics to places where nobody has gone before. (my example, however, is old territory and has been thoroughly explored in theology and song... I just submitted it as a contrast to a direct restatement of the story)

Sorry for the side trip. These conversations are so interesting, and I love to hear how different people stir the creative process.

(OK, back to the original topic)
Hi PGFantastic,

Thanks for your support! This was a terrific song to write. It came together relatively painlessly (well, by comparison to my usual songwriting efforts). I'm looking forward to hearing your next new work

All the best, Robert.
Noel
Hi RickeG,
Quote:

That is why I write only instrumentals.

There's a lot of merit in that thought

Regards,
Noel
Hi marc,

Thank you for taking so much time to compile your thoughts and post them. I always appreciate new ideas and new trains of thinking. I'm still playing around with your suggestions and letting them take me where the muse leads

All the best,
Noel
Hey Pat and Ian,

Wow! That's some discussion you boys are having. Never be concerned about hijacking my thread. The more, the merrier I always say

Here's my tuppence worth... (I'm not sure if that expression means anything in the US.)

Rhyme in songs (and poems, I guess) serves a number of functions. Amongst other things, lyric-rhyme can: highlight important ideas; lead a listener across the terrain of the song; create emotion; accelerate or decelerate lyric motion (which also impacts on the emotion of the lyric).

To my ears, perfect rhyme has an unparalleled sense of completion about it. When a perfect rhyme occurs, my ears hear the end of a lyric thought. This is Pat Pattison's school of thinking and one that I subscribe to. When a rhyme moves further away from perfect ryhme, the sense of completion is reduced. This can be used very effectively to create additional emotion (because it leaves the listener a little bit up in the air). I guess it's a bit like using a minor chord in a major key or maybe adding a 6 or 9 to a major chord (that is, the effect of the chord is still heard but it's resolution is less steadfast).

Perfect rhyme is one of the tools that the genre of musical theater often employs. Rodgers and Hammerstein works are good examples of this. To my way of thinking, the name "perfect rhyme" is unfortunate because it suggests that it is the "best" rhyme. This is not the case. It's simply the name of a type of rhyme. In my head, I compare perfect rhyme in lyrics to perfect fifths in music. A perfect fifth is not the "best" fifth, it's simply the name of one of a family of fifths and all types of fifth have their place in musical compositions.

In his updated book, 2nd edition, Pattison uses the song "Can't Be Really Gone" by Gary Burr and recorded by Tim McGraw as a good example of how a lack of perfect rhyme can enhance a lyric's emotion. It's also a great song to show how using a verse with an odd number of phrases (5 lyric phrases per verse in this case) creates an unbalanced effect that again leaves the listener a little off-centre. Once again, this helps to add to the song's emotion. If you are interested, here's a link to McGraw's version of the song on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jmbv9IMroM8

In my opinion, Burr has written a terrific lyric and one that well captures the the longing and loss that the singer is feeling. If you look the lyric up on the 'net and simply read it aloud, you'll feel how the lyric still works without music.

FOR PAT MARR: A note on my creative process

Pat, these days when I write a song, I always look at the ends of lyric lines and see if I can make them suggest a story all by themselves, without surrounding text. I'm not always successful in doing this but I keep it in mind because these natural stops in lyric motion are more strongly emphasized to the listener and thus are more important and more memorable. In the Jonah verse, I have ocean / rock / shore / God's. These words pass my test in that they, by themselves, create good, suggestive imagery in my mind.

Another test that I apply is to look at the power positions of the first and last lines of a verse. Again, because of the way the average human brain works, these lines are emphasized to the listener. In each of my verses, I try to make the first and last lines literally summarize the verse. For example:

Then there was Jonah who was floundering in the ocean
His rescue was a miracle of God's

To my thinking, these lines pass this little test of mine.

All the above being said, though, I'm always on the lookout to make what I have written stronger and better. For this reason, I really appreciate comments from other people (musician or not). I find such comments very valuable because they stimulate my thinking in ways that would never have happened had the comment not been made.

Anyway... as I said, that's just my tuppence worth

All the best,
Noel
Noel,

I hope my observations did not come across as something I thought you SHOULD have done. Far from it, I think the song is very well conceived and doesn't need to change a bit. My intent was only to use the topic at hand (your song) as a springboard for discussion of possibilities in general, across all songs. You strike me as a man of possibilities, and so it seemed like a safe place to venture.

Your reasoning is very well considered in my opinion. And I thank you for taking time to state openly the inner mechanics of your song writing.. it makes the whole process of writing a song seem less intimidating when I see it as a series of logical and attainable smaller steps.

I'm glad that there is no set of binding rules for songwriting, but rather combinations of technique that are known to be pleasing to the ear. It is fun to learn the various techniques and apply them differently to songs according to the effect one hopes to achieve.

I am inspired by the way you approach the craft of song writing. I am not so sure I will ever have my brain wrapped around these concepts as well as you seem to, but I am having fun watching from the sidelines, learning bits and pieces as my brain will allow.

Thanks for sharing your music and your thinking. I appreciate both.
Hi Pat,
Quote:

I hope my observations did not come across as something I thought you SHOULD have done.

Not in the least! I appreciated your thoughts and your posts. They were very insightful. You comments parallel my thinking in many many ways. I included the above comments regarding a couple of aspects of how I approach lyric writing because I know that you are a man who likes to understand the nuts and bolts of process.

Regards,
Noel
Hi Noel, How remiss of me. I thought I had replied to you before now but I see I didn't.
I have nothing further to add (it has all been said) except I really liked it.
You are getting a lot better, you seem to have found your voice
Keep 'em coming.

Best regards
michee
Although I sometimes analyze songs, I prefer not to.
For me, it clouds the enjoyment of listening.
Nicely done. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Mick
I am not a lyric analyst and normally I find a sense of lyrical completion on every song posted on this Forum. When I post a song, it's to confirm or not that the production supports the song and does not distract my attention from the overall production/performance.
I too would rather listen than analyze unless help or input is requested specifically by the author.

Ian
Hi michee,

Thank you for listening. I appreciate your vote of confidence

Happy composing,
Noel
Hi Mick Emery,

I'm glad to read that you enjoyed the song.

I have no problem with people analyzing the songs I post and offering their suggestions. This is why I post them. During my time on these boards, I have found that the detailed analyzes that many people freely share is extremely valuable in opening my eyes to new ideas that help me strengthen my songs. The many and varied thoughts of people such Ian, marc, Jeff, Pat, Skyline, flatfoot, Sundance, Mike sings, RickeG and many others, have helped me immensely in honing my skills. To be frank, I wouldn't be where I am without such comments.

Thank you for having a listen, Mick. I really appreciate the positive feedback.

Kind regards,
Noel
Hi Ian,

Please don't ever stop analyzing my songs, I really am very appreciative of all your feedback

Regards,
Noel
You're incorporating these collective Forum analyses very well Noel. Glad I can help.

Waiting for your remix.

Ian
Thanks, Ian; practice makes perfect so they say. I'm just plugging away at it and having fun in the process.

Noel
© PG Music Forums