PG Music Home
Posted By: bobster audio cable - 03/20/10 12:23 AM
Hello, new to the forum, first time band in a box user 2010 mega Pak. My question is, I would like to connect my bib to a fender G-DEC 30 to play some tracks, I purchased a usb to MIDI cable installed it but get no signal to amp. I have been told that I need a audio interface to do this. Is the Editrol UM-1G what i would need to do this or is their a better way to meet mmy goal. I hope this post is not in the wrong place, thanks for any help.....Bob
Posted By: Mac Re: audio cable - 03/20/10 12:53 AM
Laptop or desktop computer?

Laptop, you can use the earphone jack as a stereo line out. A cable made for hooking up iPod or the like to stereo will work, 1/8" stereo TRS plug at one end, Y at other end with two RCA plugs. Use 1/4" to RCA "barrel adaptors" if you need to plug into 1/4" inputs.

Desktop computers, use the Line out with the same cord as above.

MIDI connect carries no audio sound, as you discovered. Only MIDI data.

--Mac
Posted By: Edward Buckley Re: audio cable - 03/20/10 12:58 AM
Hi Bobster, and welcome to the forums!

I'm not sure what the Fender G-DEC 30 is? An amp?

If you want to hook up your computer to an amp, you just need a regular miniplug (1/8 inch) to either RCA or 1/2 inch cable. This will enable you to hear the output of BIAB.

Now, if you want to hook up a midi keboard, you will need either a Midi to USB cable, or just midi cable depending on the setup of your keyboard.

If you want to use BIAB without latency, maybe do some midi/Audio recording, you should get an Audio interface. There are plenty of models, just depends on your budget, your goals, etc.

If you are just getting started and don't want to spend a lot of $$, check out the little M-audio Fast Track USB II. It's very small, light, easy to use, sounds good, 1 mic and 1 line input. No midi in/outs though.

Good luck, there are lot's of helpful people here if you have problems.

Ed
Posted By: Mac Re: audio cable - 03/20/10 02:09 AM
It is a little guitar amp:

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=2350500000
© PG Music Forums