PG Music Home
Posted By: Noel96 NEW SONG (Original): attempt at some Blues - 07/11/10 11:54 AM
Hi,

I was playing around with _BLSHUFF.STY the other day and it led to a new song. I thoroughly enjoy listening to blues and thought that I'd try and write a song in that genre. If you are interested in having a listen you can find it at...

http://www.songu.com/yearbooknew/songinfo.aspx?ID=706&LockerID=29827

This one was a challenge for me to get the balances "right". I'm not sure that they are actually right yet! Anyway...

Hope you enjoy it,
Noel
Hi Noel,
Straight into my keeper file. Just how 'blusey' is it? I really don't know, all I know is I liked it. :>) Just yesterday, I was playing around with the =SHUFROC.STY, trying to practice a 'blue' lick or two on the guitar. Like you, I thoroughly enjoy listening to the blues, but I have my problems trying to play it. But I'm not a purest at all, and I think you did a fine job here. I haven't had a chance to check the balances real close, but it sounds good in my cans. Keep up the good work, thanks for sharing.
Jim
Posted By: DrDan Re: NEW SONG (Original): attempt at some Blues - 07/12/10 12:03 AM
Very nice vocals, nice pharsing... got that "sophisticated" blues sound.
Posted By: jford Re: NEW SONG (Original): attempt at some Blues - 07/12/10 01:21 AM
Hi, Noel -

I really liked this. Stylistically, it has a real "Denver and the Mile High Orchestra" feel to it (minus the brass).
Noel,

That is a real keeper. Vocals are great. Great mix !

Thanks for sharing
Quote:

Very nice vocals, nice pharsing... got that "sophisticated" blues sound.

I could not have said it better myself . . . Ditto Jazzman.

Later,
You know what, Noel, I believe this is my favorite of your songs that I've heard so far. Too fab!! And I agree with the "sophisticated" and "Denver and the Mile High without the brass" sound. Lyrics, vocal, mix - all A+ to me. Cool.
Speed up the tempo a bit and you'll sound like Bryan Setzer, lol

I enjoyed this one, very nicely done Noel. Great mix and vocal.

Trax
Hi Jim,

Thanks for listening. This song was a bit of a step away from my usual. I don't know how bluesy it is either! I'm glad you're not a purest because I'm not sure that I'd pass that hurdle. Good luck with your practicing

Once again, thank you. I appreciate your comments.
Noel
Hi jazzmandan,

Thank you for your words of encouragement. To be honest, I wasn't sure that this song would pass the test. I'm glad the arrangement worked for you. Blues is such a great style to work with and it really helped take my lyrics to a whole new place. (Thank you to Peter Gannon and his team for making such songwriting excursions possible.)

Regards,
Noel
Hi John,

Thank you! Denver and the Mile High Orchestra are sensational. I wouldn't mind being able to sing like that! Maybe if I practice a bit more....

Glad you liked the song. As I said, I was worried about the balances and so your positive feedback was appreciated.

All the best,
Noel
Hey Powderman,

I appreciate the feedback! I think my singing has picked up a bit since I got some tips from Beth Nielsen Chapman. At least I now know how to work at it.

It must be your turn to post a song now

Regards,
Noel
Hi Danny C.,

I'm flattered that you took time out to have a listen. Thank you for your feedback. It's always good to know that I'm "on the right track". This mixing thing is the hardest aspects of production, I reckon! It's like Mt Everest to me.

Thanks again,
Noel
Gosh Josie,

If I was there in person, I'd be speechless. As I'm on the other side of the world, though, I guess I must be type-less. That's a terrific compliment. I really appreciate your comments because it means that I must be traveling in an overall forward direction. I don't know how you find songwriting but sometimes, after sitting in front of my computer trying a bit of this and that, I can no longer hear how words work together (in meaning or in sound), if the melody is complimenting the lyrics well enough, or if the mix does the best job possible. That's why I really appreciate feedback. It really helps.

I'm ready to listen to your next new song, now

All the best,
Noel
Hi Trax,
Quote:

Speed up the tempo a bit and you'll sound like Bryan Setzer

If only it was as easy as a tempo change, I'd be there! I appreciate the positive feedback. Actually, I'm listening to Bryan Setzer on Youtube while I'm typing and I really wouldn't mind trying a song in that style. Maybe the muse will hear my plea....

All the best,
Noel
Posted By: enjfb Re: NEW SONG (Original): attempt at some Blues - 07/12/10 11:21 AM
Hi Noel,
Yes I like it very much - really good phrasing with vocals. I thought you got the balance just right. The organ sounded good. Very well done Noel. I liked the lyrics and they went well with the melody. Very well done.

Jim
Hi Jim (enjb),

Thank you for taking the time to have a listen. I appreciate your comments - especially about the balance. I'm also glad to hear the the lyrics worked for you. Quite a number of days went into getting them as good as I possibly could. When I thought I'd finished, a friend suggested a whole new way of looking at the 3rd A-section (the "eye's meeting" scenario) and then it was back to the drawing board! It never ceases to amaze me that fitting so few words to a melody can take so long.

Again, thank you for listening and for your thoughts

All the best,
Noel
Hi Noel,

Very good attempt at converting to Blues

Joking aside, I know how difficult it is to move to a new genre when you are songwriting.
You have done yourself proud with this song.

Very well done.

P.S. now we just need a nice waltz next

Best regards
Michee
Hi Noel,

I thought I had commented yesterday, but apparently I exited the dialog before the message was recorded, so I am replying again. Lots of things to say...

1) I think your excursion into "spoken lyrics" is a particularly good fit for the blues style. it sounded very natural in this particular application.

2) the message of the song is not just a little upbeat... it is downright encouraging, not what one normally expects from the blues. Nobody's wife left, no dogs died, no trains wrecked etc. So in that sense it isn't blues as *I* know it... maybe you just invented a new genre.. "upbeat blues" (or maybe "pinks", a blues song seen through rose colored glasses) ;-)

I'm not a musical purist by any means... I like it when songs step outside our expectations and accomplish what the songwriter was trying to make happen. These lyrics are unlike any I've heard, very original IMHO. It has become stylish to write depressing songs, and I am tired of it... so I appreciate the upbeat message

3) You did a great job of keeping the instrumentation sparse, adding accents occasionally with other instruments. Each time I listened to the song, it reminded me of the DOORS "Riders on the Storm" for some reason... possibly because both songs are bluesy variants populated with mostly bass and drums with the occasional embellishment from other instruments

4) Mix sounded good to my ears... nothing overpowered anything else, and the vocals were right on top . All of it was very clear, not muddy.

Keep up the good work Noel. I admire your technical approach to songwriting. It seems to be working!
Hi Noel,

Not much left for me to add except I enjoyed it very much.

Don S.
Posted By: Anonymous Re: NEW SONG (Original): attempt at some Blues *DELETED* - 07/13/10 08:07 AM
Proximityinfotech3, are you the echo for this forum? I seem to remember typing those words in one of my above posts! Seems like bots are also listening to my songs! Hope you liked it
Hi Michee,

Thank you for your vote of confidence! I think that your idea about a waltz is first-class. You've inspired me. I think it's high time I had a look at those new Realtrack waltzes.

Take care,
Noel
Hey Pat,

Thank you!

"Spoken" lyrics in the style of Beth Neilsen Chapman definitely seem to work for me. By presenting lyrics in this manner, I lose all self-consciousness and can "sing" the lyrics in exactly the way that I like. It makes me feel that for once, I'm an "adequate" singer. I like it

It's interesting that you mentioned dogs dying, trains wrecking and wives leaving! When I was writing this song, I couldn't stop thinking that I needed to me more... umm... miserable(?) in my presentation. I couldn't make it work though. Ultimately, I guess I like my work to have a more positive feeling. Next time I'm a bit down in the dumps, I'll try an authentic Blues work For the moment, pinks or yellows suit just fine!

I'm real glad that you enjoyed listening to the song and I'm very appreciative of your feedback. As a consequence, I have just entered this song in a competition! Who knows what will happen. As they say, "You've got to be in it to win it". I won't hold my breath, though, because then it might REALLY be a case of the blues (in a non-breathing, terminal kind of way).

Best wishes
Noel
Hi Don (Curmudgeon),

Thank you I'm flattered that you took time out to have a bit of a listen.

All my best wishes,
Noel
Quote:

I'm real glad that you enjoyed listening to the song and I'm very appreciative of your feedback. As a consequence, I have just entered this song in a competition! Who knows what will happen. As they say, "You've got to be in it to win it". I won't hold my breath, though, because then it might REALLY be a case of the blues (in a non-breathing, terminal kind of way).

Best wishes
Noel

If I were the superstitious sort, I'd say "break a leg", but since I'm not, I wish you the best of luck . I think that your approach to songwriting will lead to respectable results in competition. The music industry is cliche-ridden, and judges in such events tend to disdain what they've heard over and over. What they want to hear is new music that doesn't violate the fundamental principles of good music, but which still manages to bring something fresh and unexpected to the mix. To *my* ear, your songs consistently do that.

Put yourself in the role of the judge. Go to songramp and listen to a hundred songs in one sitting. Ask yourself why you enjoyed some but not others.

I respect the effort you are spending toward this goal, and I wish you all the best
Hi Noel,

I’m very late to the part but I’m sure glad I made it!

It’s all been said, super vox, great backing tracks and outstanding mix.

It’s a keeper!
Hey Pat,

Thank you for your kind words! I really appreciate them. I'm not so sure that my songs are as original as you say. I simply go where the muse takes me. It's BIAB that makes all this possible. To be honest, I'm not at all sure where I'd be without this amazing product.

Best wishes,
Noel
Hi Mario,

Thank you for taking time and listening. I enjoyed writing this one! Now that I'm getting my voice under control, what I need to work out now is how to be a blues singer. One step at a time, I say

Once again, many thanks,
Noel
I'm late to the party, Noel, but kudos all around. So many genres out there.
I'm hearing handclapping gospel shuffle. Blues was once described as a poor man feeling down.
But this is a great song of hope. Loved your lyrics, the mix . . . the whole kit'n-kaboodle.
Which RT was the lead?
That's the great part of BIAB - load any style, play it and a new song precipitates out.
Super job - Ian
late responder too..................

Sounds GREAT to me! Good Job!!! Loved that organ in the background, too!!
This is a very good example of a well written and well performed song. Excellent job!
I'd like to hear this one recorded live before a live audience.
Absolute keeper!
Hey Ian,

Good to read you again Thanks for the compliments! I don't believe a word of them but, be that as it may, you got me smiling and I'm still smiling. The soloist I used was #383, "Guitar, Slide, Soloist Blues Sw 120". What a great sound.

I totally agree with you about how versatile BIAB is. These days I usually begin a song by loading a style and its demo. I then start playing with the chord progression until I settle on something. Then I just play the song over and over until some words come into my head. Once I get the first phrase, the rest of the song usually "precipitates" over the course of the next few days. It's a brilliant program and makes writing songs a great deal of fun: but you know this already!

Take care. I'm looking forwarding to hear your next work.

Noel
Hi Ray,

Thank you! I really appreciate your taking time out to have a listen. I've got to say "Thank you", too, for all the documentation that you make available to all the world. A little while back when I was trying to get the hang of recording, mixing, etc., your writings helped me a great deal. Thank you so much for putting them together!

All the best,
Noel
Hi Mike,

Thank you for having a listen! I'm flattered that you like the song. Little by little, I seem to be getting a bit better at singing and performing. Maybe one day I will try it live. I've got to say that, as much as I'd love to, I can't take all the credit for writing. Band In A Box is a dream to work with. It's brilliant. The program takes me to places that I never ever, in my wildest dreams, imagined that I'd be able to go.

Have you got a new song ready for the forums yet? I'm looking forward to it!

All the best,
Noel
Sounds great, Noel. Enjoyed that. The mix/master was great. The organ really sounded good, tastefully placed. Loved the slide.
Good one Noel. It sound great. Excelent "natural sound" recording. Nice 'short' guitar solo, it let me waiting for more!

Congratulations

Carlos
Hey Charlie,

Thank you for having a listen. Whatever talent (or note) I have, really pales in comparison to what you do! I think your work is just brilliant. I'm eagerly awaiting your next production now.

All the best,
Noel
Hi Carlos,

Thank you. I appreciate your positive comments. I've got to say, I thoroughly enjoy listening to your work. I keep going back to the "Latin Cowboy" song you've posted and listening to it over and over. It's exceptional.

All the best,
Noel
Hi Noel,

We have a User Showcase forum. It's "one-floor down" from the off-topic forum. It opened up after you posted this song link, but re-posts of previously made song links are welcome. Perhaps you could re-post your message in the User Showcase, so people find all the users' songs in one place. (and of course links to your other originals as well)

This applies to anyone else who has previously posted their song links.... post 'em again in the User Showcase Forum

Note that this is only for original songs, no links to covers or copyrighted songs.
Will do. Thanks, Peter.
© PG Music Forums