PG Music Home
Posted By: Don Gaynor LOW VOLUME FROM BIAB - 11/19/10 05:08 AM
my biab creations dont play nearly as loudly as other audio sources and i see nothing in prefs to boost it. help please.
Posted By: Curmudgeon Re: LOW VOLUME FROM BIAB - 11/19/10 05:23 AM
Hi other Don,

This may help. On the very top menu bar, go to "Melody" and tic "edit melody" and choose "adjust level of volume." Likewise go to "Audio" and tic "adjust output level of audio"

Hope that works.

Don S.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: LOW VOLUME FROM BIAB - 11/19/10 05:23 AM
Could you please explain what you mean by "BIAB creations"? Do you mean that you load BIAB and then load a BIAB song and play it? Or are you talking about rendering a song?

Are you using Real Tracks? Options, Preferences, Real Tracks, Global Volume Adjust.

Could you also please give us some info on your system: what platform (Mac or PC), what OS version, and what version of BIAB? What soundcard?
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: LOW VOLUME FROM BIAB - 11/19/10 06:49 AM
matt, i'm talking about creating an original song in biab then hitting the 'play' button. the output volume is very low at the speakers when compared to wmp or pandora or other audio sources. i'm not talking about rendering. is there a global volume setting in biab similar to what you described in rt? if i play a song from 'song picker' the volume is still low, same problem.

other don, i am aware of those settings but they don't 'stick.' i have to repeat the procedure for each new composition/song. i'm hoping to find a 'global volume setting' in prefs but no luck so far.

my setup is: hp pavilion elite hpe250f, cpu is an intel quad core i7, 2.8ghz, 8gb ram, win7/64, with 1t hard drive. sound card is a realtech high definition audio. i have biab everything pak v2010.5 on external 170gig usb drive.
Posted By: dcuny Re: LOW VOLUME FROM BIAB - 11/19/10 07:28 AM
There's a Master Volume setting in the VSC DXi, but it wouldn't affect any RealTracks.

I didn't realize this, but the Vista Volume Mixer can be set for individual applications. The program setting will be remembered, even after you close the application and open it again. I assume that Win 7 has something similar.

On my machine, I can access it from the bottom right of the task bar, right next to the clock - it's the speaker icon. Right click it and choose Open Volume Mixer.

By default, it only shows the "Device" (global setting) and "Applications" "Windows Sounds", but if you use the scrollbar or resize the window, you should see a slider for every application you have open. Check to make sure that BiaB is set to the same level as your other applications - mine are at 50%.

Obviously, it's likely that Win 7 will be different - so this may not be the issue at all.
Posted By: Noel96 Re: LOW VOLUME FROM BIAB - 11/19/10 08:49 AM
Don,

Does the problem happen with both midi and realtracks?

Regards,
Noel
Posted By: Brian Hughes Re: LOW VOLUME FROM BIAB - 11/19/10 12:12 PM
Quote:

There's a Master Volume setting in the VSC DXi, but it wouldn't affect any RealTracks.

I didn't realize this, but the Vista Volume Mixer can be set for individual applications. The program setting will be remembered, even after you close the application and open it again. I assume that Win 7 has something similar.

On my machine, I can access it from the bottom right of the task bar, right next to the clock - it's the speaker icon. Right click it and choose Open Volume Mixer.

By default, it only shows the "Device" (global setting) and "Applications" "Windows Sounds", but if you use the scrollbar or resize the window, you should see a slider for every application you have open. Check to make sure that BiaB is set to the same level as your other applications - mine are at 50%.

Obviously, it's likely that Win 7 will be different - so this may not be the issue at all.

In Win 7 click the speaker in the lower right corner and then click on mixer and it shows the volumes for speakers, system sounds and what ever application you have open. In fact it does remember the last set volume of the application even after you close the program down and reload it.

Brian
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: LOW VOLUME FROM BIAB - 11/19/10 02:01 PM
Brian - interesting info, thanks.

Don - OP Don - we still need to know if you are using MIDI, Real Tracks or a combination. If any of it is MIDI, we need to know what you use for MIDI Output and whether or not you are using a DXi. Since you have Windows 7 - 64 bit, we know it isn't the VSC, but you might be using the Coyote Wavetable?
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: LOW VOLUME FROM BIAB - 11/19/10 02:42 PM
brian aced it! the mixer was set at 50%. thanks brian. color me elated! thanks to all.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: LOW VOLUME FROM BIAB - 11/19/10 03:53 PM
That's great. Yes, what Brian said will no doubt help all of us troubleshoot in the future.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: LOW VOLUME FROM BIAB - 11/19/10 05:36 PM
matt, i fail to understand the rationale behind such a feature. i'm accustomed to xp and earlier versions of windows. i would never have thought of checking the mixer settings. thanks again brian.
Posted By: jford Re: LOW VOLUME FROM BIAB - 11/19/10 07:24 PM
Hi, Don -

Microsoft completely changed how audio worked at the operating system level with the introduction of Vista, and then subsequently Windows 7. The per-application mixer settings happens to be one of them.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: LOW VOLUME FROM BIAB - 11/19/10 08:06 PM
ya, john, its totally kewl but, to someone who never bothers to read the manual, it caught me with my knickers down. its one lesson i wont soon forget. thank you.
Posted By: Brian Hughes Re: LOW VOLUME FROM BIAB - 11/19/10 08:29 PM
Quote:

brian aced it! the mixer was set at 50%. thanks brian. color me elated! thanks to all.

Glad that fixed it for you Don. I think "dcuny" had made the right suggestion but because he is using Vista he did not know what might of changed in Win 7. That problem stung me also because I could not figure out why Reaper was so much louder than Real Band.
Take care
Brian
Posted By: TomD Re: LOW VOLUME FROM BIAB - 04/30/17 09:04 AM
Real Band rendered file volume is too low.
My issue may be a little different because the issue occurs when files are rendered. The volume can be raised as you say, but when compared to other sound files it is much lower.

I rendered two real tracks: bass, volume at "90" and drums at "117" to stereo in Real Band for 3 separate songs. I then converted to mp3 & sent to a sound mix person as backup tracks for a show.

All 3 were significantly lower volume, resulting in playback out of balance with live sound in the mix. We had to boost significantly.

What could be done to resolve? I want to have a result where more volume is on the rendered tracks. Would setting RB to lower volume make the mix render louder? Is there another setting I can change?
Posted By: rharv Re: LOW VOLUME FROM BIAB - 04/30/17 11:01 AM
There are three volume sliders in RB; the track(s) themselves, then there is an 'All' slider between the tracks and the AUX/Master section in the Mixer window, and Finally the A1 Output slider in the bottom right of mixer. (Master Output)
Posted By: Pipeline Re: LOW VOLUME FROM BIAB - 04/30/17 06:47 PM
Can you just put an FX in the Master Combo ?

Attached picture BB-Master-FX.jpg
Posted By: JoanneCooper Re: LOW VOLUME FROM BIAB - 05/01/17 02:22 AM
Originally Posted By: TomD
Real Band rendered file volume is too low.
My issue may be a little different because the issue occurs when files are rendered. The volume can be raised as you say, but when compared to other sound files it is much lower.

I rendered two real tracks: bass, volume at "90" and drums at "117" to stereo in Real Band for 3 separate songs. I then converted to mp3 & sent to a sound mix person as backup tracks for a show.

All 3 were significantly lower volume, resulting in playback out of balance with live sound in the mix. We had to boost significantly.

What could be done to resolve? I want to have a result where more volume is on the rendered tracks. Would setting RB to lower volume make the mix render louder? Is there another setting I can change?

Tom..I am currently busy with the final touches on a whole blog post on this subject. It should be published later today. I will send you a pm when it is done.
Posted By: TomD Re: LOW VOLUME FROM BIAB - 05/05/17 08:10 PM
I already tried those options, volume is max for output,

I didn't use max volume for the individual tracks to keep the balance I wanted.
Posted By: TomD Re: LOW VOLUME FROM BIAB - 05/05/17 08:12 PM
thanks! I was thinking of using the effects on the output, but haven't tried it yet. I will wait for your ideas.
Posted By: rharv Re: LOW VOLUME FROM BIAB - 05/05/17 08:36 PM
TomD
If you are comparing the RB output to commercial material, then indeed try using the FX on the main output.
Use the A1 slider in the mixer of RB and add FX to these slots.

Quickest/cheapest is to insert PGPeakLimit plugin there and push the input. You should notice a difference right away.

More elegant is to insert Ozone Mastering software there and be amazed at your options. (warning, don't try Ozone if there is no way you can afford to get it)
It's the single best plugin to get what you are describing inside PGMusic products, at least in my mind.
If you want a 'commercial finished sound' inside the program, this is a very good tool, but be forewarned; if you try it you'll probably really want to buy it.

There are cheaper alternatives that may be all you need, just thought I'd mention one I really enjoy.

Posted By: TomD Re: LOW VOLUME FROM BIAB - 05/08/17 12:07 PM
As suggested I used A1 output to apply pg effects. I was able to get much better volume. I also tweaked individual track effects.
I'm still experimenting with how to use send , insert, aux methods. I have not found good tutorial on it, maybe somebody will have one someday.

Thanks for the help.
Posted By: rharv Re: LOW VOLUME FROM BIAB - 05/08/17 09:43 PM
Quote:
I'm still experimenting with how to use send , insert, aux methods.

AUX is a way to add FX 'in addition' to the track FX.
I find it helpful to think of it linearly.

Track signal gets mixed with track FX first.
The AUX send allows you to send any number of tracks to a different set of FX, and in varying levels.
Very powerful.

For instance you can send tracks 1,3,5,7 and 9 (or any combination of selected tracks) to a given AUX FX slot, (and all in varying amounts) yet allow those tracks to share the same Reverb effect (for example).

This allows those Tracks to:
a. conserve resources; they all share one instance of the plugin effect
b. have the desired effect applied to all tracks in varying amounts

The major plus side of this (and why I used Reverb as an example) is that all the tracks enjoy a single instance of the plugin, which reduces load, yet each track can have a varying amount of the plugin(s) applied .. typical would be to use a reverb for drums, a little less of the same reverb for bass, maybe a little more on guitar and vocals, yet because all the reflections are the same, all the tracks sound a little more like they are in the same 'room' when listening to the end result and conserve resources at the same time.

Hope that helps
/A1 Output rules; it's where the true out levels lie
© PG Music Forums