PG Music Home
Posted By: redguitars Any Guitarist Have this Book? - 11/22/10 08:09 PM
Hello all,
I lost a lot of stuff in a flood 4 years ago. A lot of books.
I have my fakebooks still, but I lost my instruction books from the 70s and 80s.

One of the books I'm looking for is "Styles For The Studio" by Leon White.
It was no big deal. I think I used it for learning scales. I went looking for it online and found only 2 or 4 copys and all starting at over $95.00!

I don't get it. Why is it so valuable?
If any guitarist who knows of this book can tell me if you can why it is such a rare item, I'd be grateful.

I still have "From Sight to Sound" which can be purchased for a normal price.

Anyone have a suggestion for a book for learning scales, please advise me. No tab though, I can't do tab.

Thank you in advance, Wayne,
Posted By: redguitars Re: Any Guitarist Have this Book? - 11/22/10 09:41 PM
Learning to play the guitar again after 10 years is not like the old saying, "It's just like riding a bike". At least not for me. I need to practice and that means scales for me. I've got good chord books.

Anyone have a suggestion for a good book for learning scales, please advise me.
I can't do tab.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Wayne,
Posted By: MarioD Re: Any Guitarist Have this Book? - 11/22/10 10:12 PM
Hi Wayne, the best scale book for us guitarist’s that I have found is “The Gig Bag Book Of Scales For All Guitarists”. It contains 180 scales in both tap and notation. I bought it at Barnes n Nobles for $15 USD. You may find it cheaper on the internet. This will cover any scale you will need to know and then some.

I hope this helps – MarioD
Posted By: redguitars Re: Any Guitarist Have this Book? - 11/22/10 11:24 PM
Hi MarioD,
It looks like a good one. But I don't think it had caged fretboard diagrams. I'm not such a good reader.
I'm looking for something that has patterns. Like the way chord books are.
I'm still researching guitar books. But when I find something I think I'm getting The book you suggested as well. It's very reasonable.
Thanks, Wayne
Posted By: MarioD Re: Any Guitarist Have this Book? - 11/22/10 11:40 PM
Is this something like your're looking for?
Posted By: EightString Re: Any Guitarist Have this Book? - 11/23/10 12:41 AM
I had that book when I was a kid. I really wish I could find it, but it probably got lost in a move somewhere along the line.
Posted By: redguitars Re: Any Guitarist Have this Book? - 11/23/10 02:41 PM
I've searched a lot of guitar and Jazz forums and nobody knows what happened to Leon White Books. The only one in print is Sight To Sound, for reading music. I have that one, pretty old but great shape.

I remember going through this when I had to replace my Chord book. I had to buy a few and then send them back till I found the right one. If I only lived near a music store.

Any other scale/pattern books that helped guitarists?

Thanks, Wayne
Posted By: redguitars Re: Any Guitarist Have this Book? - 11/23/10 03:35 PM
Anybody have Ted Greenes' "Jazz Guitar Single Note Soloing" 1 or 2?

After this post, I promise I'll stop.
Wayne,
Posted By: DennisD Re: Any Guitarist Have this Book? - 11/23/10 06:31 PM
Wayne, how big a hurry are you for the books. I visit book sales and used book stores ad hoc, but my ex visits them frequently as she is a Winston Churchill and WWll historian. I would request she keep and eye out for them. My daughter had a basement flood three years ago and we are slowly replacing works of literature that were important to her. I found Ted Greene's Chord Chemistry in a used book store for $2.00!
Books can become old friends so let me know. DennisD
Posted By: Tchairdjian Re: Any Guitarist Have this Book? - 11/24/10 03:48 AM
Did you look here?
http://tedgreenebookeditions.com/Dalezdenek/LeonWhite/StylesfortheStudio/index.html

And http://www.guitarmethodbooks4less.com
Posted By: Tchairdjian Re: Any Guitarist Have this Book? - 11/24/10 04:01 AM
And this about it:
http://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/getting-started/2874-jazz-guitar-book.html
Posted By: redguitars Re: Any Guitarist Have this Book? - 11/24/10 12:36 PM
Thanks for the links. I've been to those sights and they don't have the book there. But I emailed them a couple of times and asked. No reply yet but, maybe they know how I can get a copy. Maybe they will brong it out again.

I found 2 sellers and they want over $95.00 for it. That's insane.

Thanks again, Wayne
Posted By: redguitars Re: Any Guitarist Have this Book? - 11/24/10 12:41 PM
Thank you DennisD,

Yes if you could be on the lookout for this I'd really be grateful.
Styles For The Studio, by Leon White.
There's a picture of it here, http://tedgreenebookeditions.com/Dalezdenek/LeonWhite/StylesfortheStudio/index.html
It really shoud only be a few bucks. I really don't understand the price of the private sellers I found. $95.00
Thanks again, Wayne

p.s. I did find my Ted Greenes books :-)
Posted By: Tchairdjian Re: Any Guitarist Have this Book? - 11/24/10 03:46 PM
Yeah, that is insane. I once say a book I wanted (even in current production) that Amazon wanted $90.00, then I found it on the 'net at Warren Buffet's bookstore for online for $19.99! So keep trying... I saw also a service that would scan the book for your too since the book is n longer in production...
Posted By: redguitars Re: Any Guitarist Have this Book? - 11/24/10 04:30 PM
Crazy, right?
The book cost $4.95 years ago, but still, his other book, "From Sight To Sound", new, right now is only $13.30.
I'm still baffled why this book has vanished.
I'm surprised no one has scanned it and put it on the internet, like in PDF. I'd pay!
Still no reply from the Publisher, we'll see.
Wayne,
Posted By: redguitars Re: Any Guitarist Have this Book? - 11/24/10 08:40 PM
Well, Dale Zdenek, the publisher sent me an Email saying it would take them up to 2 years to get it back in print.
Guess I'll just keep my eyes open for it.
Wayne,
Posted By: Mac Re: Any Guitarist Have this Book? - 11/25/10 01:30 PM
The World Wide Web is *inundated* with guitar teaching aid stuff.

Websearch.

Bookmark the ones you like.

Print out the html to have some scale guides to practice with.

Most of it is free.

The patterns, the TAB, etc.

--Mac
Posted By: GDaddy Re: Any Guitarist Have this Book? - 11/25/10 02:28 PM
...or look in GDaddy's music closet...
"Styles For The Studio" was and still is one of my favorites.
"Three Sounds of the Triad" is another that is hard to find...by Billy Bauer a great jazz guitarist!

Posted By: redguitars Re: Any Guitarist Have this Book? - 11/25/10 03:52 PM
Hi GDaddy,
I asked a few people who have this book and haven't used it in30 years. Asked them what they thought of it and they said they really don't care for it. When I asked them if they would like to sell or share it somehow, they all said "Nope".
If you don't like something and don't use it anymore why not pass it on to someone who could use it?
It's not like I'm going to sell it and make money on it.

When we left NY City over 25 years ago and moved Upstate NY to a really small rural town, I went to a small local Music store and wanted to buy my Fender Jazzmaster Guitar. He wanted $300.00, so I said I'd take it. When he found out I was from the New York City he wouldn't sell it to me. He got really angry and said I was only going to bring it back to NY and sell it for a fortune. I sent someone else in the next day to buy it and got it for $250.00.

Oh also the publisher, Dale Zdenek sent me a Holiday Greeting Card. Very nice people.

Sorry, just rambling here, Wayne,
Posted By: DennisD Re: Any Guitarist Have this Book? - 11/27/10 01:11 AM
Wayne, I have sent the word out to my ex and my daughters to be on the lookout for the books: Ted Greenes' "Jazz Guitar Single Note Soloing" 1 or 2, Leon Whites’ “Styles For The Studio”. While I was out of town, I took a quick look in the store where I found Chord Chemistry but had no luck. We will keep looking for you, just let me know if you find it before we do, or when we can stop looking. Thanks. DennisD.
Posted By: redguitars Re: Any Guitarist Have this Book? - 11/27/10 12:00 PM
Thanks DennisD, I will tell you right away.
Leon Whitei sent me a message to contact Alfred Music publishing. If they can't get it for me Leon told me to let him know. Who knows? Very nice of him. He said someone told him about my search.
We'll see and I'll let you know right away. Thanks so much for looking. That's very nice of you.
Wayne, Thanks for all your help.
Posted By: Tchairdjian Re: Any Guitarist Have this Book? - 11/27/10 04:43 PM
Well now RedGuitars... you made me curious too. I'm now begining to want to see this book too! LOL. Maybe we need to scan it and publish it...and send some Royalties to the "owner" of the rights...
Posted By: redguitars Re: Any Guitarist Have this Book? - 11/27/10 05:04 PM
You would see that it's a common 70s type music book. It was what a lot of us needed when the Jazz/Fusion stuff was happenning. All the caged patterns are hand written.
I remember it was great then. There were better things later. But it was what I needed. I met a guitarist, Joe Ravo back then, he played Broadway and played with Stanley Turrentine. He was awesome. Clssical and Fleminco trained and unreal Jazz Player.
I just had the usual Rock by ear playing ability but wanted to play more. He told me to buy this book and then taught how to practice. To use all my fingers including my pinky and most of all how to pick correctly. It was relearning to play, but after 6-12 months of practice I could do anything I wanted musically. We spent a lot of afternoons one summer playing in his apartment. He changed my Musical life. It's funny how a little direction can really change someone's life. He was a good friend.
Wayne,
Posted By: Tchairdjian Re: Any Guitarist Have this Book? - 11/27/10 05:30 PM
"It's funny how a little direction can really change someone's life."

I know what you mean... I have been re-learning the guitar from scratch using the Internet for self-teaching (both free and paid lessons) but it's hard.. Some days I spend 5, 6, 7 hours a day on my guitars... I can see how a little wise direction from an experienced monster cat would go a long way.
Posted By: Leon White Re: Any Guitarist Have this Book? - 06/14/16 04:15 PM
Hello, Leon White here (the author). Thanks for the compliments!!

It was out of print for quite a while and a lot of people wanted it I guess.
5 days ago a new version was released with 100 backing tracks, 12 vids and stuff, and the book was re-edited and typeset. Should be easier to read then the old one. I hope I'm not breaking a forum rule, but the book should be cheap now.
Posted By: lambada Re: Any Guitarist Have this Book? - 06/14/16 11:29 PM
I have the book somewhere. I'll have a look through my collection. I lent a lot of books to some girl in Oz and she never returned them (sigh). When will I learn. From memory, this book was a really professional one. Basically, you've made the grade, now do your thing better..... grin
Posted By: lambada Re: Any Guitarist Have this Book? - 06/14/16 11:31 PM
I re-purchased Mickey Baker's Jazz Guitar books from Amazon. I love them. I accidentally bought two different editions of the same one.
Posted By: Guitarhacker Re: Any Guitarist Have this Book? - 06/15/16 09:39 AM
Books are priced on how many copies are available. If there's not many, the price can be high.

They are also priced on how much they are needed regardless of the number out there.... college text books are a fine example.

You should see the price of some of the books I need to get regarding Search & Rescue and training my dog as a cadaver dog.... ouch!!

If you want it or need it... you simply pay the cost and go on with life. If you can get by without it.... keep the money in your pocket and spend it on something else you really want.
© PG Music Forums