PG Music Home
Hi folks,

Got one of these guitars cheaply many years ago at a pawn shop. Its a yamaha fg 140, nice tone and all but the action is terrible past the 5 fret. I took it to a guitar shop once in London to get it adjusted, but the guy said it wouldn't be worthwhile or practical to do, but funny thing is he wanted to buy it from me.

I did a google and it seems its from the early 70's.

Anyone ever got the action sorted on one of these?

many thanks

All really depends on the reason why the action is now raised.

Most common reason - and can indeed be an expensive repair -- is that the belly of the guitar has been pulled upwards by string tension. This can be easily determined by sighting across the top of the guitar from the side to see if it is "bellied up". This condition is often created by an owner leaving the guitar somewhere that is too hot, such as in a hot automobile in summer, which results in a weakening of the typical hide glues used in assembly, the top plate will no longer be held to the underlying braces by the compromised hide glue and the thin top is then pulled upwards by string tension. The problem is also "permanized" once the guitar is allowed to cool down again in that state.

Another possibility for high action like that could be a loosened neck joint. This one is easy to spot and not as expensive to fix as the above.

That particular model of the Yamaha is nice, but not a super-expensive one, many were made. I wouldn't read too much in the luthier's offer to purchase the guitar in that condition, maybe they intended to repair it or maybe they wanted it for parts, you never can tell. The luthier may also simply have wanted to "save" it from a worse fate.

--Mac
Thanks very much Mac for your reply. Just had a look at the guitar again, doesn't seem to be anything to do with the belly of the guitar warping under string tension or neck either. I have just this feeling this is the way it was made, measured the action and its about 3mm at 5 fret and 5mm at 12 fret, also seems to be well enough in tune throughout the fingerboard up the neck and the harmonics are all sounding right at 12 fret. Its ok for strumming up the the 5 fret but above I find the action to be too high.

Take it to a guitar tech that you feel you can trust, have the neck tension adjusted and possibly the saddle lowered. A decent tech should have no problem with this set up if the belly is ok. If you've never done this type of work before, and want to learn, there's lots of stuff on Google and this guitar is not a real expensive one that you have to be concerned about. Most amature mistakes are correctable by a tech anyway.

Rob
What Rob said.

And it also pays to get a second or third opinion if the cost seems high.

--Mac
the Yamaha fg 140 , 160 & 180 all have very high actions, they were built like that. Its a shame BUT they are very good sounding guitars & many studios around the world have one in the corner just in case they need a better sound that the musicians own guitar. I have a 160 & its has a wonderful sound.
I have one I bought (first guitar purchase) over 40 years ago and it still sounds great. I have had the action adjusted a couple of times but its still a high action. Does anyone know if its possible to change out the neck completely?
I would consider a different neck altogether with a better action but I do love the guitar sound and want to be able to play it without my hands straining so much
A little off topic but I have a Yahama FG 335. It is really a great sounding instrument. I friend of the family found it sitting in a closet and gave it to me. Anyone know anything about this model?
musiclover:

There's a guy at the Larrivée forums (www.larriveeforum.com) who goes by username 'Sneaky'. He lives in Japan. He has acquired countless Yamaha classical guitars for dirt cheap, and has likely seen whatever issue you are pointing to on that specific model of guitar and would likely respond to a PM if you have photos.

He might even be able to answer your neck swap question.

Some of the FG series from that era ARE desirable, if I recall Sneaky's many posts on the topic. (He is always sending shots of his latest score in the forum).

-Scott
Originally Posted By: Miracleroom
I have one I bought (first guitar purchase) over 40 years ago and it still sounds great. I have had the action adjusted a couple of times but its still a high action. Does anyone know if its possible to change out the neck completely?
I would consider a different neck altogether with a better action but I do love the guitar sound and want to be able to play it without my hands straining so much

Why change the neck completely?

If all else is fine -- and a qualified luthier or technician ascertains that the high action is due to neck mounting -- the original neck can be removed and repositioned to lower the action.

--Mac
© PG Music Forums