PG Music Home
Posted By: furry Platters Medley - 01/08/11 04:55 PM
Always loved the Platters. Stunning vocals & harmonies, so here's a medley of Platters songs I've done.
Only you, My prayer & twighlight time. Thanks in advance for comments.
I'll post details of real tracks used if anyone's interested.

The Platters furry style
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Platters Medley - 01/08/11 05:30 PM
graham, wonderful stuff! i like how you transitioned the tempo between numbers so smoothly. great keys, as usual. thanks for sharing. more please.
Posted By: Muzic Trax Re: Platters Medley - 01/08/11 07:13 PM
That was excellent Furry. I loved how you did the backing for this. Was that made with Biab or a midi file?

I enjoyed listening to your amazing talent friend. Way to go !!

Trax
Posted By: furry Re: Platters Medley - 01/08/11 07:48 PM
All tracks are real tracks. Can't remember exactly the ones I used as I havn't kept the biab file.
Don it was actually quite a tricky one to get the changes right.
Thanks for the comments
Posted By: Mac Re: Platters Medley - 01/08/11 09:24 PM
Nice, Graham, as always.

--Mac
Posted By: John Conley Re: Platters Medley - 01/09/11 05:12 AM
Great.

Hey, if I make it to April, I'm heading that way.

Going to Islay, probably hire a car in York. If we can swing it going to the wife's home in Colonsay, then off to Skye to make the trifecta.

Leave here the day before Easter Fri. to Heathrow. 4 nights in London. Need to go south to Dover to see the future 'inlaws.'. Then back to London and York by rail. Then Amsterdam, Belgium, Flanders, and Paris.

One Grandfather wounded badly in near London in WW2, the other near Paris in WW1. Want to visit both, plus the places from whence we came......hope it's a civilised as here.
Posted By: furry Re: Platters Medley - 01/09/11 06:29 PM
Thanks Mac, John pop in for a coffee / tea if you think you have time. We're about 7 miles east of Inverness. I'll PM you my ad if you fancy an eyeball
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Platters Medley - 01/09/11 06:58 PM
Listening as I'm typing, very nice indeed.

Later,
Posted By: jim111 Re: Platters Medley - 01/09/11 10:54 PM
Quote:

graham, wonderful stuff! i like how you transitioned the tempo between numbers so smoothly. great keys, as usual. thanks for sharing. more please.

+1, wonderful indeed. Yet another showcase example of what can be achieved with the RTs. Thanks for posting.
Posted By: WienSam Re: Platters Medley - 01/09/11 11:48 PM
Very professional, G, as always!
Posted By: The harpster Re: Platters Medley - 01/10/11 03:15 AM
I play a simular medly on a chromatic harp, but my BT's are bad comparied to yours, nice job...!
Posted By: Curmudgeon Re: Platters Medley - 01/10/11 04:18 PM
Enjoyed it very much as I do all of your stuff, also the slide show.

Don S.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Platters Medley - 01/10/11 07:51 PM
john c, i have a great book called "spikin doric" that you would really appreciate in the event that you should stray to far north, lol. if you want a few examples just post back. it's quite humorous.

yes, graham, i meant to complement your beautiful part of the world. btw, lochs look exactly like lakes.
Posted By: furry Re: Platters Medley - 01/11/11 11:04 AM
Don, The Doric is spoken in the North EAST of Scotland in Aberdeenshire. It's almost like its own language in a way. As you head nearer to Inverness-shire the Aberdeen ' twang' disappears and you'll find Inverness folk ( Invernessians ) have their own accent. Much of it has gone sadly with so many incomers from Eastern Europe.
As you leave Inverness and head westwards then the accent changes again. The people of Skye, Lochalsh and all along the west coast have a lovely soft spoken lilt to their voice, almost musical. Up in the far north of Scotland The accent changes again, in Shetland, it's almost like another country, even the dances are faster there than on the mainland. For such a small country, Scotland has a heck of a lot of regional variations, not just in their accents but in cooking, lifestyle and dress wear.
I'm not sure if it's on youtube, but this funny monologue IS on spotify by the late Andy Stewart. Andy pokes gentle fun at the various accents of Scotland.
Posted By: John Conley Re: Platters Medley - 01/11/11 01:02 PM
My great grandparents spoke Gaelic, and English when required. My grandfather understood Gaelic and went to the Gaelic services until they ended in '62. I do remember that my Mom's aunts and uncles all referred to the babies as "bonnie wee lambies". And they sang Gaelic lullabies, wish I remembered which ones. Ach weil.

I should start planning my Burns supper.
Posted By: furry Re: Platters Medley - 01/11/11 05:51 PM
I've got baked haggis in the oven for tonights dinner. Yummmmmmm
Posted By: Curmudgeon Re: Platters Medley - 01/11/11 07:53 PM
Quote:

I've got baked haggis in the oven for tonights dinner. Yummmmmmm

And, baked Haggis is?

Don S.
Posted By: furry Re: Platters Medley - 01/11/11 08:08 PM
you'd need to do a google & see what haggis is. It'd take too long for me to explain.
The traditional way to eat it is boiled with mashed potatos & turnip.
I've cooked up my own way of having haggis.
Fry some good fatty bacon with onion. Add the haggis and some ketchup some sliced pickled beets, soy sauce and cook for a few mins. Into a casserole dish and let it cool.
Cook some potatos carrots & turnip ( swedes ) and let them get cold. Spread over the top of the cold meat mixture and into the oven for about 30 mins till it browns.
Posted By: John Conley Re: Platters Medley - 01/11/11 08:18 PM
My local has it on the menu all year. Only about 3 pounds 50. Big portions. Maybe Wed. nite, the wife is going to take me out...
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: Platters Medley - 01/11/11 08:20 PM
Furry,

I googled it. I wonder how they would do shipped on dry ice to WV?
Posted By: Curmudgeon Re: Platters Medley - 01/11/11 09:19 PM
Alton Brown Haggis Video

No offense but I think I'll pass.

Don S.
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: Platters Medley - 01/11/11 09:28 PM
Don,

I now present the award for the most hiliarious video of the day, ........ (drum roll), ............

It goes to........Curmudgeon!!!!!!!!
Posted By: Curmudgeon Re: Platters Medley - 01/11/11 09:32 PM
Quote:

I now present the award for the most hiliarious video of the day, ........ (drum roll), ............

It goes to........Curmudgeon!!!!!!!!

I humbly accept.

Don S.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Platters Medley - 01/11/11 10:20 PM
i'm waiting forrrrr grrrraham and georrrrge nelllllson to weigh in on this one. very hilarious, otherrrr don. thanks forrrr the chuckle.

graham, me wee mum was scot so i intend no offense, just clean fun.

please post your recipe.
Posted By: furry Re: Platters Medley - 01/11/11 11:09 PM
It's one of those meals that a small amount goes a very long way. It's definately an aquired taste. You can get haggis in cans in certain parts of the US. Quite decent too from what I've heard.
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: Platters Medley - 01/11/11 11:12 PM
Furry,

I don't want it from a can! Fresh from a Scottish grill!
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Platters Medley - 01/11/11 11:35 PM
seems that every race/nationality has a dish that calls for an 'acquired taste' such as chitterlings, norwegian krube, korean kimchee, finnish mooyaka, etc. i find it interesting that, once we acquire a taste for them, they become a sort of delicacy. i can't confirm this but i'm told that chop suey originated in san francisco and means leftovers. lol

* i spelled those dishes phonetically, cut me some slack.
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: Platters Medley - 01/11/11 11:50 PM
Don,

Quote:

seems that every race/nationality has a dish that calls for an 'acquired taste' such as chitterlings, norwegian krube, korean kimchee, finnish mooyaka, etc.

That's chit'lins! I ain't familiar with the other'ns.
Posted By: furry Re: Platters Medley - 01/13/11 10:52 AM
Bob did you say Scottish Grill or GIRL hee hee hee
Posted By: furry Re: Platters Medley - 01/16/11 01:09 PM
Definately not offended,but very amused at the poor attempt at the Scottish accent, it's as bad as some of us lot attempting American accents it just doesn't work. LOL LOL LOL LOL.
It's sad how some folk on youtube can be offended by the least little thing and seem hell bent on causing trouble with every post they make. Believe me I've blocked a number of users over the last three years.
Posted By: John Conley Re: Platters Medley - 01/17/11 01:53 AM
Furry, don't know how far the Brit slang goes north but this conversation happened on the way home, fittingly in my Mini Cooper. I read way too much, like a book a day, and a lot of English books...

Wife.."Oh Dear, I want to look fit when we go to England"

Daughter (who's spent about a year in Kent) "Giggle..Giggle..."

Me.."Mom needs some new kit then..." Now we both are LOA'sO. A lot.

Wife is getting mad...and so the daughter tells her.."Mom fit means for you ..sexy!"

Wife "and kit....????"

Daughter.."well like clothes...gear..."

Now I have to take the wife shopping, I think I'm just sending the two of them and footing the bill..."!

You gotta excuse the wife. 1/2 Scots and 1/2 French. I gotta get her to Colonsay on a Wednesday. 27 of April, or we miss the weekly ferry. You can stay 6 hours though! I hope the other MacNeils appreciate it. I've got the MacDonalds to thank for burning our house and putting us on a boat, just like the Nicholsons did to the rest on Skye. Turns out they did us a favour. I hope we can get haggis in seaweed, there's no seaweed here!
Posted By: furry Re: Platters Medley - 01/17/11 05:41 AM
Depends John. This time of year the Haggi tend to be scurrying round the waters edge, once April May comes in The wee b*ggers are up on the hills chasing the stags LOL LOL LOL
Their two left legs are shorter then their two right ones. That means they don't run around the hills lopsided Hah hah. In the year 1275, they gave the Scots a choice of oil or haggi, the oil will run out eventually, but the Scots will aye have their Haggis.
Anyone mad enough to read this and believe it had better get medical help quick
Posted By: John Conley Re: Platters Medley - 01/17/11 11:07 AM
Nothing I've not heard before...the stories of the wild haggi. Some friends of mine, one in particular who's from the West Coast of Scotland has developed a thicker accent in Canada according to others. And he's an expert at the Burns Supper. Wee Willy, the ode and such. Ya canna unnerstand him 'e anglish let alone e bonnie auld scots my trusty frere.

I'm doing my best to harden my legs to walking for our trip. Not much progress, I'm gonna use a stick. Ach well...I'll see some sights anyway.

Once done in the highlands we are headed to France see if it's true that French Ragout makes you spew.

But, mark the rustic, haggis-fed;
The trembling earth resounds his tread,
Grasp in his ample hands a flail
He'll make it whistle,
Stout legs and arms that never fail,
Proud as the thistle.

You powers that make mankind your care,
And dish them out their bill of fare.
Old Scotland wants no stinking ware,
That slops in dishes;
But if you grant her grateful prayer,
Give her a haggis!

Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Platters Medley - 01/17/11 03:17 PM
john, i certainly hope you get to meet graham over in that beautiful part of the world. i know you want to walk it but consider one of those electric scooters in the event you tire out. they are reasonably priced, about 300 loonies, for an adequate model. that would keep you on the ice longer. please take lots of pics to share with us. if you jam with graham, get us some good audio on your digital recorder.
Posted By: John Conley Re: Platters Medley - 01/17/11 04:05 PM
I'm supposed to go over to the shopping mall today for a 'stroll' It's -3F this morning so I'm waiting. A storm is coming and it's going up to 30F by supper. You should see all the Canuck seniors who use the mall as a way to walk without dealing with the snow. The plow went by during the night and the road is smooth now, but I can't get my feet cold or I have problems. Why did I ever think I needed to save all that money so I could have a good time and then find out I have these limitations. Always wanted to see Paris in the springtime, and we are almost there. I just need to get some mobility back. I finally have accepted the deafness. I have quit telling people I'm sorry for not getting what they say, why am I sorry? I've learned the art of quizzical facial expressions. The not feeling my fingertips or feet and the associated burning is driving me mad. Only about 10 percent of people who had my type of cancer make it a year, and I'm 2 months short of a year now, so I'm hoping things keep on the level. And I've people to visit in England, Scotland, the Netherlands and France. Very cool. I've got the tickets, the first hotel booked and all the maps and guidebooks.
© PG Music Forums