PG Music Home
Posted By: silvertones Trying tofigure out Facebook - 02/21/11 01:11 PM
This is new to me. I'm familiar with all of the privacy settings and have not given out anything but my name, throwaway email & a little bit about what I do.
I think I have this right but maybe not. Let me know please.
Each person has a WALL. I can write on my wall. I can write on FRIENDS wall. FRIENDS can write on my wall.So far so good?
1.If I write on my WALL it shows up on all my FRIENDS NEWS FEED?
2.IF a FRIEND writes on his WALL it shows up on my NEWS FEED?
3.If a FRIEND writes on my WALL it shows on all my FRIENDS NEWS FEED?
4. If I write on a FRIENDS WALL it shows up on all his FRIENDS NEWS FEED?
Those 4 things are what I need to know if I have right. I appreciate any other thoughts.
Thanks
Posted By: Ryszard Re: Trying tofigure out Facebook - 02/21/11 01:39 PM
Post only what you don't mind the whole world knowing on FB. No matter what your security settings, FB will randomly and, effectively maliciously, change them for you.
Posted By: silvertones Re: Trying tofigure out Facebook - 02/21/11 01:55 PM
Quote:

Post only what you don't mind the whole world knowing on FB. No matter what your security settings, FB will randomly and, effectively maliciously, change them for you.

The only thing in my profile is my name, a gmail email,and the name of my band. No phone numbers,addresses,locations etc. I do not blindly accept friends. What I'll probably find out is that it's just another waste of time.I only signed up because the Restaurants I play at have a page so I'm able to post when I'll be there.
Posted By: Oren Fisher Re: Trying tofigure out Facebook - 02/21/11 04:02 PM
Quote:

It's a tool, John, but a slippery one... For a guy like me with family spread all across the country, it's a handy way to share photos and keep up on family events. Plus, musicians who use the web can shoot ideas back and forth... Like Ryszard says, however, privacy (anywhere on the web) is an illusion.
Posted By: BlueAttitude Re: Trying tofigure out Facebook - 02/21/11 04:05 PM
The answer is "Yes" to all of your questions, assuming that under your privacy settings you have "friends only" set for the line "your status,photos, and posts". You can also set this to be "friends of friends" and "everyone".

It is worthwhile to spend some time going through that privacy settings screen and making sure that everything is set the way you want it.
Posted By: John Conley Re: Trying tofigure out Facebook - 02/21/11 04:15 PM
I have a number of disabled friends and we share photos and grumble about the weather, (Another foot of snow last night),

My band has a page. Hopefully I can continue to play with them.

Right now she's shoveling snow, the big plow went by. The local farmers are cleaning up, totally huge John Deere with 6 tires and a plow, makes 2 fast passes and it's done. Then clean out the end of the drive where there's now 4 feet of snow.

Facebook, a good way to complain about the weather.
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Trying tofigure out Facebook - 02/21/11 04:22 PM
John,

Bite the bullet and get a website. Just a bit more professional IMHO, as everyone has a facebook page but not everyone has a website. Besides you and only you have 100% control of what goes on your site. Another plus is that some of the info you do not want to put on FB(for the obvious reasons) will not only enhance your chance of getting hired but might just be the exact information a potential client needs to know. I think I am paying something like 25.00 per year for Gdaddy to host my site . . . but as our own "Mac" the kinfe might say, your mileage may vary.

Just my 5 cents(adjusted for inflation)worth.

Later,
Posted By: furry Re: Trying tofigure out Facebook - 02/21/11 04:45 PM
Don't go near the games, they're far too addictive
Posted By: John Conley Re: Trying tofigure out Facebook - 02/21/11 05:04 PM
There's a hidden X where you can set it so your 'friends' start playing games it doesn't announce to you every few minutes that Furry just got a new rooster and you need one too.

You can tell facebook to NOT show you all about someone's farming habits, or chess addiction.

My nephew has a band and the band has a facebook page and he's got lots of friends who follow them around. A very cheap way of advertising. Pass out business cards for your 'band' with the facebook information and an email. No home address or phone number.
Posted By: silvertones Re: Trying tofigure out Facebook - 02/21/11 06:17 PM
Quote:

There's a hidden X where you can set it so your 'friends' start playing games it doesn't announce to you every few minutes that Furry just got a new rooster and you need one too.

You can tell facebook to NOT show you all about someone's farming habits, or chess addiction.

My nephew has a band and the band has a facebook page and he's got lots of friends who follow them around. A very cheap way of advertising. Pass out business cards for your 'band' with the facebook information and an email. No home address or phone number.

That's exactly what I'm doing.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Trying tofigure out Facebook - 02/21/11 08:15 PM
Hey John,

Here's an article I just saw fwiw.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/41693130/ns/today-today_tech/?gt1=43001
Posted By: rubberball103 Re: Trying tofigure out Facebook - 02/21/11 08:17 PM
Quote:

That's good advice for all kinds of forums and e-mail.
Posted By: rubberball103 Re: Trying tofigure out Facebook - 02/21/11 08:21 PM
Sometimes I delete all my info. Sometimes I enter absurd stuff. Never do I put in the real thing. Once my jobs was president of the US, later a fry cook. I've been a double-naught spy and lived on all continents. I figure FB sells this info so I do my part to make it garbage.
Posted By: silvertones Re: Trying tofigure out Facebook - 02/21/11 08:27 PM
I haven't filled in anything.
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: Trying tofigure out Facebook - 02/21/11 09:35 PM
I find Facebook to be kind of a strange phenomenon. I created an account several years ago, and then never logged back on again until 3-4 months ago. I logged back in solely because I knew my son had an account and I thought maybe I should see what he’s doing on there.

Since it had been about 3 years or so since I logged in, I had ump-teen friend requests from family, friends, enemies, ex-girlfriends and people I didn’t even know. I accepted the friend requests from the people I knew, (except for my enemies and ex-girlfriends, LOL).

What I soon discovered was that people will post the most mundane sh*t in the world and think that other people will be interested, (i.e., my niece posting via iPhone that she’s stuck in traffic at the mall).

Now unless my niece is in labor or being attacked by a lunatic while stuck in traffic at the mall, I really don’t care or need to know about it.

But you can edit this so you only receive updates from certain friends on your homepage.

And obviously, no personal info besides your name and maybe some photos.
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: Trying tofigure out Facebook - 02/21/11 10:01 PM
Just thought I’d add that Facebook can be kind of creepy on friend suggestions. For example, it keeps suggesting that I add my ex-bosses wife as a friend, when he’s not on my friend list, nobody in the company is on my friend list, nobody in that STATE is on my friend list, and she doesn’t know any of my friends, nor does he.

Oh yea, I’ve only seen her twice, for about 2 minutes each time, and she’s not requesting me as a friend. Considering there’s no personal info on my site, how did this thing come up with her?????????????
Posted By: silvertones Re: Trying tofigure out Facebook - 02/21/11 10:10 PM
I'm finding it sort of interesting in a weird way. Now that I'm playing in a couple places in town I'm trying to drum up business with it.I can see though were the more friends you get the harder it becomes to keep what you want on top of your wall.I deleted it once before.Something tells me I'll do it again but I want to see how it works out.Is the ultimate goal to be friends with every human on the planet?
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: Trying tofigure out Facebook - 02/21/11 10:34 PM
John,

Quote:

Is the ultimate goal to be friends with every human on the planet?

Seems to be. He who dies with the most friends wins ???
Posted By: rharv Re: Trying tofigure out Facebook - 02/21/11 10:58 PM
He who Facebooks loses seems to be more the point. Too many intrusions for me.

Plus, stuff like that ex-boss' wife thing with Flatpicker makes me wonder how much they are sharing, whether I wanted it or not.
Then keeping up with the mundane posts, keeping an eye on the privacy changes .. I chose not to participate. Give me a call, a PM or an email and I'm there. FB removes 'personal communication' and makes things 'herd communication'.

Why send someone to my FB page to see what anybody else wants to say about me (or what their dog did), when I can send them to my website to see how I present myself?

Two weeks ago we were at my grandmother's funeral and my parents house got broken into. Coincidence? I think not. Did they see it in the obits, or FB? FB crowd has much more likely chance of knowing where their house was than some random person reading the obits... locations were not given. Friend of a friend of a friend and all that.

Privacy; protect it. It's hard enough as it is.
Just my explanation of why you won't find me there.
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: Trying tofigure out Facebook - 02/21/11 11:08 PM
rharv,

All good points. As I mentioned, the only reason I logged back into the thing after 3 years was to see what my son was up to.

I'm very leary of it. It's obviously capable of coming up with more personal info than what you give it.
Posted By: John Conley Re: Trying tofigure out Facebook - 02/22/11 12:05 AM
My friend Jim has severe cerebral palsy. I had a very hard time understanding him before I came down with the profound deafness. We facebook about his motorized scooter and not being able to go out, my limitation that way so any ice and I stay in unless I have help. We discuss stuff like oreo cookies being smaller and ice cream getting whipped so it weighs half. My sister out west keeps me abreast of my nieces soccer, her son's construction job and the weather on the left coast. My overseas friends chirp in. My daughter posts something before work for her English fiancé.

My band has a facebook account and there are photos and posters. I guess in the old days someone could have found out who was in the band and gone to their house and ripped them off. Not much of that going on here.

It's what it is. And how you use it. Jim couldn't say motorized scooter so 20 percent could understand it. But he gets the typing done with a big old keyboard and lots of patience. I have lost 80 percent of my voice and I moved the printer upstairs so i can have conversations with my wife. Good thing for those typing classes in high school. I should have paid more attention to compound interest and I'd have cash, though I wouldn't be as rich as I am 'cause no one is after my money, they just hang out with me for my good looks.
Posted By: Ryszard Re: Trying tofigure out Facebook - 02/22/11 12:00 PM
Quote:

Sometimes I delete all my info. Sometimes I enter absurd stuff. Never do I put in the real thing. Once my jobs was president of the US, later a fry cook. I've been a double-naught spy and lived on all continents. I figure FB sells this info so I do my part to make it garbage.

For them as just has to know my demographics--for no reason whatsoever--I'm a 91-year-old Uzbekh woman who lives at 123 Noyb Street in Anytown, GA. NOYB = "None o' yo' bidness." I'll have to work on the occupational thing. I've always wanted to be a brain surgeon!
Posted By: silvertones Re: Trying tofigure out Facebook - 02/22/11 01:21 PM
Quote:

He who Facebooks loses seems to be more the point. Too many intrusions for me.

Plus, stuff like that ex-boss' wife thing with Flatpicker makes me wonder how much they are sharing, whether I wanted it or not.
Then keeping up with the mundane posts, keeping an eye on the privacy changes .. I chose not to participate. Give me a call, a PM or an email and I'm there. FB removes 'personal communication' and makes things 'herd communication'.

Why send someone to my FB page to see what anybody else wants to say about me (or what their dog did), when I can send them to my website to see how I present myself?

Two weeks ago we were at my grandmother's funeral and my parents house got broken into. Coincidence? I think not. Did they see it in the obits, or FB? FB crowd has much more likely chance of knowing where their house was than some random person reading the obits... locations were not given. Friend of a friend of a friend and all that.

Privacy; protect it. It's hard enough as it is.
Just my explanation of why you won't find me there.

These are all the reasons I'll inevitably delete my account once again.I just unfriended a bunch of friends.
Posted By: rubberball103 Re: Trying tofigure out Facebook - 02/22/11 02:48 PM
Quote:

John,

Quote:

Is the ultimate goal to be friends with every human on the planet?

Seems to be. He who dies with the most friends wins ???

I thought it was the most toys?
Posted By: rubberball103 Re: Trying tofigure out Facebook - 02/22/11 02:52 PM
I closed my account once. Not just quit logging on - closed it. A few weeks later I opened it anew. Most of the friends I had before, were automatically still my friends. Seems FB really doesn't delete your account even if you close it.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Trying tofigure out Facebook - 02/22/11 05:00 PM
rubberball, you are right. FB doesn't delete your account when you close it. You have to jump through some hoops to get it deleted - do a google search. I signed up last year for about a day and decided it wasn't for me. I don't remember exactly what I had to do now but I did get mine deleted.

It's nice to know I'm not the only one on the planet not on FB. LOL.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Trying tofigure out Facebook - 02/22/11 05:18 PM
Yes, the directions (well-hidden) to delete an account are different from deactivating it, or at least they were when I looked at this issue a year ago.

In my area, Facebook has become the best way to advertise a gig.
Posted By: silvertones Re: Trying tofigure out Facebook - 02/22/11 05:37 PM
Quote:

That's the reason I have it.
Posted By: Mick Emery Re: Trying tofigure out Facebook - 02/22/11 05:50 PM
Quote:

There are some venues, in this area, that require bands to have a website and FB site to be booked. Clubs, today, expect you to have your own following & to bring them with you.
Posted By: rharv Re: Trying tofigure out Facebook - 02/22/11 05:57 PM
We had an email list, gathered from our website, of a few hundred people. This usually accounted for showing our following and crowd anticipation.

Requiring FB for a gig? That surprises me. They probably don't care if you are in the union, but want a FB name ...
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Trying tofigure out Facebook - 02/22/11 06:03 PM
As a 40-year union member, I can tell you that being in the union has often become a disadvantage. I'm hoping the newly elected AFM leadership can turn this around.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Trying tofigure out Facebook - 02/22/11 06:41 PM
FB is definately the place to be now - why I don't get but you have to do what you have to do to keep working and/or promote yourself. Learning to use and keeping up with all these social networking sites including FB is just so time consuming. Do you guys do it yourself or enlist someone else for help?

John, this is a very interesting topic.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Trying tofigure out Facebook - 02/22/11 08:04 PM
You're right, Josie; this topic is something musicians need to revisit regularly, since so much changes quickly. Even the Facebook settings I am comfortable with can get 'flipped' somehow and periodically without warning, the site cannot be trusted. That was nicely discussed here.

My various music sites are probably not typical because I was a comp. sci. prof and always do all my own programming, if it's allowed. Before Facebook, I had a really nice MySpace page that was highly customized (and not by one of their ugly templates, either). At the end of 2010, MySpace "standardized" the look of their pages, overwriting and destroying much of my work. Thanks for that. So, I modified it to be minimal and left it, probably never to return. I rarely go to MySpace anymore, even though MySpace always was better for musicians and audio file promos than Facebook. Facebook by comparison is extremely limited in what you can customize.

No matter what the site - MySpace, Facebook, SonicBids, SoundClick, LinkedIn, YouTube, AFM Go Pro, NuMuBu, Reverbnation, etc. etc. - my goal is to have a minimal presence and steer traffic to my own website, which I can control.
Posted By: rharv Re: Trying tofigure out Facebook - 02/22/11 08:09 PM
One company I do web work for has an employee that does articles and social networking for the company; facebooking all day long <grin> I can say it HAS generated a few jobs for them, but nowhere near as much as other sources. It all adds up I guess.
Posted By: Mick Emery Re: Trying tofigure out Facebook - 02/22/11 08:19 PM
Quote:

Requiring FB for a gig? That surprises me. They probably don't care if you are in the union, but want a FB name ...

Like Matt, I spent many years in the union. It's almost non-existent anymore.
Most of the musicians around here aren't even aware that there was a union!

I use EVERYTHING at my disposal to advertise. FB, myspace etc., is free advertising that works 24/7. Just finding 1 more person is worth it, each time it happens.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Trying tofigure out Facebook - 02/22/11 08:29 PM
Quote:

... an employee that does ... facebooking all day long

Good scenario for a horror movie?
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: Trying tofigure out Facebook - 02/22/11 08:42 PM
Quote:

Good scenario for a horror movie?

Especially if it has a "Big Brother" theme to it.

If Facebook removed the "creep" factor of linking you to people when it has NO data provided by either person in order to establish a link, I would think it was a good thing.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but there's no doubt in my mind that Facebook is using something far beyond what they publicly acknowledge to establish these these links.
Posted By: John Conley Re: Trying tofigure out Facebook - 02/22/11 09:09 PM
If you join facebook, make sure you give someone trusted your password. A former friend of mine died a year ago. Tragically he was a good friend at one point, but got into a spiral. Separated, then lost his job, his legacy money ran out, and so did his time.

But my daughter knows his daughter on facebook. He's my age. And for some reason once a week his face comes up with the suggestion that I 'friend' him. He can't reply. I wish there was a way to 'freeze' him out, for sometimes I think I should have tried to do more to help. I made several attempts at that but he had weakened to the point of no return. Sad.

We have no organization in common, except one men's club no one knows about. I've never published anything to connect me to that thing. Club had no name. Cigars and tuxes, once a month. 2 single malts, and a cigar. We had no executive, no rules. I don't get it.

My wife is to post a notice when I go, put a mail notice to return emails, and a week after kill my facebook.

I'd like to figure out a way for someone to put my ashes in the soup of The Leader of Her Majesty's Loyal Opposition. He can bite me. (For the yanks that means the head of our Democratic Party.)
Posted By: rsdean Re: Trying tofigure out Facebook - 02/23/11 06:05 PM
"No matter what the site - MySpace, Facebook, SonicBids, SoundClick, LinkedIn, YouTube, AFM Go Pro, NuMuBu, Reverbnation, etc. etc. - my goal is to have a minimal presence and steer traffic to my own website, which I can control."

Matt, totally agree. That's exactly the reason I decided to put up my own site. It's been up now since November of 2010 and I am getting a fair amount of traffic on it.

Bob
Posted By: Curmudgeon Re: Trying tofigure out Facebook - 02/24/11 12:40 AM
I trust that I'm not too far off subject, but: I goggled a place under "medical supplies" and ordered an abdominal compression belt. Now I'm getting email offers for a scooter and other mobility equipment. Coincidence? I don't think so.

Don S.
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: Trying tofigure out Facebook - 02/24/11 12:51 AM
Quote:

I trust that I'm not too far off subject, but: I goggled a place under "medical supplies" and ordered an abdominal compression belt. Now I'm getting email offers for a scooter and other mobility equipment. Coincidence? I don't think so.

Don S.

I agree. But i still can't figure out why I'm getting "hip replacement" spam!
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: Trying tofigure out Facebook - 02/24/11 12:58 AM
And back to the topic, here's a 1 min. 45 sec. video of Facebook facts set to music.

http://wimp.com/facebookfacts/

And off the topic, here is a high def cartoon of the most recent Coyote and Roadrunner cartoon:

http://wimp.com/looneytoons/

Watch it in full screen, ...... it's a hoot.
Posted By: rharv Re: Trying tofigure out Facebook - 02/24/11 01:17 AM
Don,
Google knows everything
More than likely the place you actually bought it from is the culprit.
Posted By: John Conley Re: Trying tofigure out Facebook - 02/24/11 04:24 AM
If you order baby anything on a credit card here the smart guys at the credit card company sell your profile to anyone. Then you get (remember this is Canada) offers for little snow gizmos you pull the kid in, playpens, Registered Education Funds (you get tax credits for Little Johnny and pay no taxes on the interest thing), etc. Ad nausem.

The thing is if you buy a car on your credit card (they only let me put 10 grand on it, but I got the air miles), you get car related stuff in the mail.

I have a shredder. Paper in, shredded paper out. I recycle about 3 pounds of paper a week, most of it flyers for automotive stores, best buy, Staples, etc. Furniture, I guess I need a fancy new arm chair soon, I wear one out every 3 or 4 years.

Fact of life.

At least my hospital didn't sell my medical diagnosis to funeral homes. Yet.
Posted By: rubberball103 Re: Trying tofigure out Facebook - 02/24/11 05:26 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Don S.

I agree. But i still can't figure out why I'm getting "hip replacement" spam!

Somebody must think you're not hip enough!
Posted By: mglinert Re: Trying tofigure out Facebook - 02/28/11 04:51 PM
Like all tools, FB is only valuable if you learn how to use it.

The private messaging is indeed private and the filtering capability for deciding who gets to see what can be managed down to the level of each 'friend' and works perfectly.

If you find that one of your 'friends' has a tendency to post updates which are of no interest, you can hide either the post in question or all posts from said 'friend'.

It's like all of these things. Read the help pages. Read the forums. If you're going to use it, then learn how to make the best of it.

one tip for free.
A good place to start is to organise your 'friends' into lists (close family/colleagues/bandmates/ex-wives/people I've only met once/....). This makes it easier to customise distribution of your posts.
Posted By: Ryszard Re: Trying tofigure out Facebook - 02/28/11 06:26 PM
Quote:

. . . the filtering capability for deciding who gets to see what can be managed down to the level of each 'friend' and works perfectly . . .

. . . Unless FB changes the security settings, which they have done regularly enough that I consider it deliberate and malicious.
Posted By: rharv Re: Trying tofigure out Facebook - 02/28/11 09:40 PM
+1
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: Trying tofigure out Facebook - 02/28/11 10:17 PM
+2

If anyone thinks Facebook is nothing more than a "safe" networking site, you're being terribly naive.
Posted By: silvertones Re: Trying tofigure out Facebook - 02/28/11 10:20 PM
Well I'm finding it helpful already. I have over 115 friends and I don't know a one.LOL. I've been able to set up "events" and then invite all of my friends. I'm getting responses that they are coming.What I'm doing is just gathering friends based on other friends friends and their friends. Before you know it there's a list of everyone in town. Now I've been going through these lists and based on the picture I'll send out a friend request. I don't send out to kids or teens as they don't come to bars. The place in town were I play is known for Rock Bands on the weekends.This has helped me get the word out that now during the week there is something other then Rock.Because of the great response on Tues & Wed, evenings I've been asked to play on Sundays from 12-3PM for Brunch.Another restaurant is interested for Sat evenings in another town.That'll be 4 nights a week. I hope this 60 year old goat don't burn out.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Trying tofigure out Facebook - 03/01/11 05:01 AM
John,
You are one inspirational and determined old goat LOL. Seriously. When I think back of how difficult a time you had starting out again there ..... even finding a place to play within reasonable driving distance..... Now you've got FB working to bring you even more work! SALUTE!
Posted By: silvertones Re: Trying tofigure out Facebook - 03/01/11 12:59 PM
Quote:

John,
You are one inspirational and determined old goat LOL. Seriously. When I think back of how difficult a time you had starting out again there ..... even finding a place to play within reasonable driving distance..... Now you've got FB working to bring you even more work! SALUTE!

Thanks!
Posted By: Ryszard Re: Trying tofigure out Facebook - 03/01/11 02:04 PM
Be sure to let us know if you do another north Georgia gig. Truth is I didn't make the first one, not because of the two-hour drive to get there, but because I didn't want to find my way home on back roads in the dark. I have since gotten a GPS, which makes all the difference in the world. Love to meet and hear you.
Posted By: mglinert Re: Trying tofigure out Facebook - 03/01/11 02:45 PM
There are some posts above from guys I respect and listen to on pretty well every subject. But in this case, I think you may be being just a shade paranoid.
FB is successful - hugely successful, in fact - not because it is satanic, underhand, deceitful or lacking in transparency but because it has first mover advantage (ok first mover to attain critical size) in a field, social networking, which has proved extremely popular.

Parallels with that other 'evil empire', much beloved of conspiracy theorists - Microsoft -spring to mind.

FB, perhaps more than any other corporation, knows the power of good or bad publicity. I would argue that, if for no other reason than to protect its reputation, it is not up to the kind of skullduggery suggested by some contributors above.

if you’re wondering why such a high value is attributed to the corporation, then just take a look at the figures

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Facebook
Posted By: Ryszard Re: Trying tofigure out Facebook - 03/01/11 03:49 PM
Quote:

"Never ascribe to evil that which is adequately explained by stupidity." -Robert Heinlein

Marc, you make good points. Prolly not malicious after all. Howmsoever, the last two upgrades that were pushed on me dropped my shields, as it were. All of a sudden anybody could look at things that were only supposed to be seen by selected individuals or groups. Each time I learned of it only when a friend pointed it out.

What's the difference? It is simply not a secure app. I only use it casually so it is not at all important, but the more I use it the less I trust it.
Posted By: rubberball103 Re: Trying tofigure out Facebook - 03/01/11 05:14 PM
Quote:

+2

If anyone thinks Facebook is nothing more than a "safe" networking site, you're being terribly naive.

If it were, there wouldn't be offers of $50,000,000,000 to buy it.
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: Trying tofigure out Facebook - 03/01/11 07:23 PM
Believe it or not, I'm not trying to rag on Facebook.

I'm just saying you should be very cautious with your personal info. And because of my personal experience I mentioned early in this thread, I don't trust it.

However, if I was a working musician like John, I would use it because it's a very good way to promote yourself.
Posted By: rubberball103 Re: Trying tofigure out Facebook - 03/01/11 08:51 PM
I use it. But I think of it a big sign I put up in a public place.
Posted By: WienSam Re: Trying tofigure out Facebook - 03/02/11 12:08 AM
Quote:

I use it. But I think of it a big sign I put up in a public place.

Which is why it is great for artists! If you want to add me, just do a search on 'Heathcote-Parker' and add me
Posted By: rharv Re: Trying tofigure out Facebook - 03/02/11 02:53 AM
I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member.

(usually credited to Groucho)

I also wouldn't announce my username on a public forum .. maybe I'm just too safety oriented.
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: Trying tofigure out Facebook - 03/02/11 02:59 AM
rharv,

Quote:

I also wouldn't announce my username on a public forum .. maybe I'm just too safety oriented.

Or maybe you're just being smart! Or as we say in WV, you're using your head for something besides a hat rack!
Posted By: WienSam Re: Trying tofigure out Facebook - 03/02/11 03:13 AM
Quote:

I wouldn't join any club that would have me as a member.

(usually credited to Groucho)

Isn't your username rharv?
Posted By: rharv Re: Trying tofigure out Facebook - 03/02/11 03:41 AM
funny

I should have worded differently.
Just be careful, friend. That's all I'm trying to say. I know lots of people do it, with no problems, but I work on the web a lot. I've done quite a bit of website building and maintenance. So I read a lot of stuff about security issues.
Like I said, maybe I'm overly safe, but it hasn't failed me yet.
Posted By: WienSam Re: Trying tofigure out Facebook - 03/02/11 04:35 AM
I still haven't been hacked yet, Bob. And neither has anybody I know (I have 1600 friends on FB).
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Trying tofigure out Facebook - 03/02/11 05:01 AM
I've seen two FB friends hacked. They appear to send you "inappropriate" posts and links.
Posted By: WienSam Re: Trying tofigure out Facebook - 03/02/11 05:37 AM
Quote:

I've seen two FB friends hacked. They appear to send you "inappropriate" posts and links.

That IS possible but to hack an account you need to know what email account the user has, their login name AND password... Somebody could hack into an acount here on the forum too if they wanted. Just a thought

BTW, I have SEVERAL different email accounts - all with different passwords, AND my login details are different for all the forums I am involved with. Even I can't always keep up with them all so I would doubt VERY much that anybody could hack any of MY accounts
© PG Music Forums