PG Music Home
Posted By: Ron Becker Toshiba Satellite users - 04/03/11 10:25 PM
Surely there must be some key command to open/close the CD tray. Or did toshiba skip that function so they could get more of their marketing crap crammed in here? It would have been nice to have it on one of the F keys. But I'd settle for anything. The button on the tray is a PITA to find and push with out bending over nearly horrizontal. Thanks

Ron
Posted By: rharv Re: Toshiba Satellite users - 04/03/11 11:00 PM
Dunno of a shortcut, but you can click Windows Explorer, select Computer, then the CD drive, right-click and 'eject' ... so you don't have to bend over.

Could probably drag a shortcut to that drive onto your desktop so you could right-click once and have the eject option.
Posted By: Lawrie Re: Toshiba Satellite users - 04/03/11 11:18 PM
A quick google search popped up the following - I haven't tried either but they look OK:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/create-a-shortcut-or-hotkey-to-eject-the-cddvd-drive/

http://www.codeguru.com/cpp/w-p/system/cd-rom/article.php/c5775
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Toshiba Satellite users - 04/03/11 11:32 PM
On all three Toshiba Satellite laptops I have used, the CD eject button is raised so that you can press it by feel.

What does bundled software have to do with the function of the CD/DVD drive?

Anyway, you can make a shortcut to your drive. Right-click on the desktop, New, Shortcut, D: Then double-click on the icon and the empty drive pops open.
Posted By: Lawrie Re: Toshiba Satellite users - 04/04/11 01:25 AM
Quote:

... Anyway, you can make a shortcut to your drive. Right-click on the desktop, New, Shortcut, D: Then double-click on the icon and the empty drive pops open.

Hey Matt, doesn't work on my HP running XP
Posted By: raymb1 Re: Toshiba Satellite users - 04/04/11 01:27 AM
I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop and have no problems at all opening or closing the CD/DVD drive. It's so easy, I don't know why the complaint. Later, Ray
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Toshiba Satellite users - 04/04/11 01:46 AM
Ray, I don't know why the complaint, either.

Lawrie, sorry - it works in Windows 7.
Posted By: liveoakk Re: Toshiba Satellite users - 04/04/11 03:01 AM
+1 Same here. Hopefully the original poster get's his drive issue fixed.
Posted By: John Conley Re: Toshiba Satellite users - 04/04/11 10:48 AM
Depending on the operating system there have to be command line things you can do to eject the cd.

In Linux one opens the terminal window and types eject.
Works great. When I was using the thing on a regular basis I had a batch file containing that command, and assigned it to ALT J. Thus alt j popped it out. This is a Sony laptop, and the button is flaky, but I never put that into my system when I switched to 10.10, but I just checked and it works great.

Good luck, I'm sure from the past I messed with this in XP and found a script on-line, and put an icon on the desktop to eject the cd. Then it changed with Vista due to permissions or something.
Posted By: Ryszard Re: Toshiba Satellite users - 04/04/11 12:04 PM
Navigate to the CD/DVD drive in Win Explorer, right click and select "Eject," works on my Satellite L305-S5937 running Vista Home Premium 64. Don't have much trouble finding that button, either, though.

Richard
Posted By: silvertones Re: Toshiba Satellite users - 04/04/11 12:44 PM
I have a shortcut to the drive down in the tray. Rt click/eject. Very quick. My older Toshiba button is hard to find by feel also.
Posted By: Mac Re: Toshiba Satellite users - 04/04/11 08:05 PM
There is also a gag piece of software called, "Cupholder" that opens the CD drive tray.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Others/Home-Education/Cup-Holder.shtml

Check it with your virus scanner before running it or installing if it does that, just to be safe.

--Mac
Posted By: Ron Becker Re: Toshiba Satellite users - 04/06/11 08:10 PM
Quote:

My older Toshiba button is hard to find by feel also.

Same story here. Plus I play with fingers on ballads and chord melody stuff so there are calluses on right hand fingers like the left hand and I assure you there is no raised button. Good solutions except the ones that involve wading thru jello to get a simple task done.

I hit my forehead at the short cut suggestion! I already knew how to do that and and even did it once for something else on this computer I just never made the connection before I started typing. Thanks to all for the help. Even the the clicking/window opening orgy, thanks for taking the time.

Ron
Posted By: lindamartin88 Re: Toshiba Satellite users - 04/08/11 11:34 AM
There is a button on the cd tray which can be felt. But you can always eject by going to MyCompiuter, CD drive, right click and press eject. Hope it helps.
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Toshiba Satellite users - 04/08/11 07:30 PM
Borrowing a pretty new Satellite from work. Eject button is pretty difficult to locate by feel - It's not raised at all. The surface of the case, including the surface of the CD rom, has a raised bumpy pattern making it difficult to locate the button.
© PG Music Forums