PG Music Home
Posted By: Curmudgeon Yamaha DGX-500 sticky key - 07/02/11 06:33 PM
Hi all,

I have a Yamaha DGX-500 keyboard that has a key that quite often fails to sound, It's not worth paying repair cost. I'm hesitant to open the thing up. Any ideas? Could this be something as simple as dirty contacts?

Thanks,

Don S.
Posted By: silvertones Re: Yamaha DGX-500 sticky key - 07/02/11 06:56 PM
More then likely.If it was broken contacts it probably wouldn't play at all but could be.
We'res your adventure.Open her up!
Posted By: Curmudgeon Re: Yamaha DGX-500 sticky key - 07/02/11 07:03 PM
John,

I was thinking more on the line of dirty contacts that I could perhaps clean with acetone. I guess I've had too many mishaps opening up the unknown, that I'm super cautious.

Don S.
Posted By: Muzic Trax Re: Yamaha DGX-500 sticky key - 07/02/11 08:23 PM
Don,

I know on the other PSR Arranger keyboards, there is a felt pad that needs replacing every so often. People have done their own service/replacements of those. I think they come in a strip?

You can get instructions on how to do it @ PSR Tutorial website, or ask members there where to order/replace the pads. That site is friendly like this forum.

There may even be pics of an opened keyboard there with a step by step guide.

Have you tried compressed air first? Usually, when the key does not make sound, one of the pads has worn out or slipped out of place.

I don't think it is that hard to replace though?

I remember about 2 or 3 years ago the felt strip pads were about $20-$25 from Yamaha. I can't remember if that was for a set (2) or if it was one long one? They will have the info you need there. If you have a problem finding it, send me a pm and I will contact someone for you there.

Trax
Posted By: Curmudgeon Re: Yamaha DGX-500 sticky key - 07/02/11 09:15 PM
Thanks Eddie, I'll check it out. Happy 4th.

Don S.
Posted By: Mac Re: Yamaha DGX-500 sticky key - 07/03/11 01:48 PM
Don't expect to find the old wire-crossing-wire key contacts inside the MIDI keyboard.

Most use conductive "rubber" pads that are pressed onto a plated section of circuit board contacts.

First thing I try is a wee small spray of Deoxit contact cleaner at the base of the pad.

Give it time to soak in, then excercise the key.

This is easier than disassembly of the keybed and all those pads, believe me.

If the first application of Deoxit doesn't work after an overnight sit, try it one more time.

Avoid the urge to saturate the area with Deoxit, this is NOT a case of if a little bit works good then a lot works better. Too much Deoxit here is not a good thing.

Don't use ACETONE! -- Acetone can instantly melt plastics.

Common rubbing alcohol is better than acetone, but in the case where a liquid has gotten spilled into a keyboard, the most common cause of this kind of failure, use of alcohol and lint-free cotton swabs necessitates a total disassembly of the keybed to get down to the circuit board and conductie plastic contacts, which is a real bear and should be avoided by the average user.

--Mac
Posted By: Curmudgeon Re: Yamaha DGX-500 sticky key - 07/03/11 08:06 PM
Thanks Mac,

I'm not sure just what I'll do. I'm not sure that I have the physical dexterity to fool with it.

My present workaround is to play in a key that is not affected.

Have a good 4th.

Don S.
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: Yamaha DGX-500 sticky key - 07/03/11 09:21 PM
other don, your suggesting acetone scared the life out of me! that means your wife's fingernail polish remover and lacquer thinner, same animal!
Posted By: Muzic Trax Re: Yamaha DGX-500 sticky key - 07/03/11 10:06 PM
Don,

Here is a link with pics of how to replace the contacts on a PSR 3000. I'm not sure if the DGX has the same innerds or not?

Trax
Posted By: Curmudgeon Re: Yamaha DGX-500 sticky key - 07/04/11 01:36 AM
Don,

I guess you can tell that it's been a long time since I fooled with any electronics. Do they still use tubes.

Thanks Trax for the link.

Other Don
© PG Music Forums