PG Music Home
Posted By: BIABguy Notation software - 07/17/11 07:32 PM
Hi Folks,

I recently discovered a Youtube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nKtxQaIw6Q&feature=related)
that has some cool music software.

It shows the guitar fretboard, guitar tab, and music staff notation all on the same screen.
Does anyone know the name of this software and the platform(s) it runs on?
It looks Mac-like, but I'm hoping it's available for the PC too.

TIA
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: Notation software - 07/17/11 08:01 PM
I'll re-post your link for you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nKtxQaIw6Q&feature=related

I'm not sure which program that is, but Guitar Pro is very good.

http://www.guitar-pro.com/en/index.php

I have Guitar Pro 4 and 5, but not 6. I haven't found a better TAB/notation program.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Notation software - 07/17/11 08:06 PM
Quote:

Hi Folks,

It shows the guitar fretboard, guitar tab, and music staff notation all on the same screen.
It looks Mac-like, but I'm hoping it's available for the PC too.

According to Gilles it is a MAC application,

"...I use Logic For guitar neck and score and IShowYou for Screen Capture"

However, +1 for Guitar Pro - it is very powerful.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Notation software - 07/17/11 08:07 PM
Does it print sheet music if you import a MIDI track or a WAV? I have Finale but have not yet spent enough time with it. That's what I am trying to make it do so I don't have to chart horn parts out by hand. Play it in on a keyboard and have it print a chart for me.
Posted By: BIABguy Re: Notation software - 07/17/11 09:10 PM
Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nKtxQaIw6Q&feature=related

I'm not sure which program that is, but Guitar Pro is very good.

http://www.guitar-pro.com/en/index.php

I have Guitar Pro 4 and 5, but not 6. I haven't found a better TAB/notation program.

Thanks for re-posting my link properly!
From what I have seen of Guitar Pro it won't show the guitar fretboard lined up with the tab and music notation as in the link I provided. Maybe it can?
Posted By: BIABguy Re: Notation software - 07/17/11 09:13 PM
Quote:

According to Gilles it is a MAC application,

"...I use Logic For guitar neck and score and IShowYou for Screen Capture"

However, +1 for Guitar Pro - it is very powerful.

Thanks, it figures it's Logic!
Those guys are so thorough in their programming skills! (are you listening PGMusic? )
Too bad they abandoned the PC.

Maybe it will arrive in BIAB next year?
Posted By: BIABguy Re: Notation software - 07/17/11 09:16 PM
Along the same lines...

Does anyone know of music software that will allow the user to input their own chords onto a guitar
grid (six strings)?

Chords.exe is a bare bones program along these lines, but you can only input one chord per file.
I'd like to input an entire song onto one sheet/file.

So, a series of guitar grids (same page) where you can paint your own chords and name them.

TIA
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: Notation software - 07/17/11 09:33 PM
Eddie,

I’ve never imported a wave file into Guitar Pro, but I’ve imported a lot of midi from BIAB and it handles those quite well. When importing, you can choose which instruments to import, (I usually only import guitar, bass and drums), and then it creates TAB and std. notation for each instrument on separate channels. You can print any channel you wish.

BIABguy,

I’m not sure what you mean by “lined up”, but it does show a fretboard above the TAB. I turn this feature off, since I don’t find it useful. (Actually, it’s distracting for me.)

You can download a demo if you want to try it.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Notation software - 07/17/11 09:40 PM
Quote:

Thanks for re-posting my link properly!
From what I have seen of Guitar Pro it won't show the guitar fretboard lined up with the tab and music notation as in the link I provided. Maybe it can?

I have GP v6 running and it does show Guitar neck, Tab and Notations all three on the same screen. And you can enter any of the three to compose.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Notation software - 07/17/11 09:42 PM
Quote:

Along the same lines...

Does anyone know of music software that will allow the user to input their own chords onto a guitar
grid (six strings)?

GP v6 will do this.
Posted By: BIABguy Re: Notation software - 07/17/11 11:11 PM
Quote:

I have GP v6 running and it does show Guitar neck, Tab and Notations all three on the same screen. And you can enter any of the three to compose....

GP v6 will do this.

Thanks very much, I guess I will have to check out the demo now!
Posted By: multitracker Re: Notation software - 07/18/11 01:57 AM
Quote:

Does it print sheet music if you import a MIDI track or a WAV? I have Finale but have not yet spent enough time with it. That's what I am trying to make it do so I don't have to chart horn parts out by hand. Play it in on a keyboard and have it print a chart for me.

Eddie,

I've played in a horn band for the last couple of years (covers of Tower of Power, Chicago, etc), and have been able to use Realband to create some charts for the various horn players. I started by charting out the basic chord structure of the song and had RB create some basic background tracks. Once I got a useable background generated for the song, I played the individual horn parts into RB tracks with a midi keyboard. With some minor editing of the resulting tracks, and tweaking the printout paramaters, I was able to get decent results. I would then print the charts (individual tracks) one at a time. Works quite well. Main test was passed when the horn players indicated they were happy with the resulting charts.

Terry
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Notation software - 07/18/11 03:47 AM
Okay so it is possible with Real Band. Cool. The charting I need to do is for some old stuff that none of these guys have heard, much less played. Not nearly as complicated as Mr Toad's Wild Ride (with that INSANE tenor solo by Brandon Fields)...... Buckinghams, Grass Roots, Rascals.... these young whippersnappers!!! Missed the whole white soul era!

Now your next step is to move to Cleveland and play in MY horn band.....
Posted By: Flatfoot Re: Notation software - 07/18/11 01:35 PM
>>>...It shows the guitar fretboard, guitar tab, and music staff notation all on the same screen...>>>

BiaB can do all this, and more. There are a few unique tricks in the BiaB notation arsenal. It will do things no other notation program does.
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: Notation software - 07/18/11 05:38 PM
Yeah, it's not just Real Band Eddie, Biab does it to.

Bob
Posted By: multitracker Re: Notation software - 07/18/11 09:39 PM
Quote:

Okay so it is possible with Real Band. Cool. The charting I need to do is for some old stuff that none of these guys have heard, much less played. Not nearly as complicated as Mr Toad's Wild Ride (with that INSANE tenor solo by Brandon Fields)...... Buckinghams, Grass Roots, Rascals.... these young whippersnappers!!! Missed the whole white soul era!

Now your next step is to move to Cleveland and play in MY horn band.....

Buckinghams, Grass Roots, Rascals, now that is some cool stuff. But I think you said you already had a keyboard player ....

Good luck with it, there's nothin' more fun than playing in a band like that, especially if you have some outstanding players. Sadly, our horn band broke up. Hard to hold a band together that big. Two or three guys end up doing all the heavy lifting.

Terry
Posted By: BIABguy Re: Notation software - 07/20/11 04:31 AM
Quote:

>>>...It shows the guitar fretboard, guitar tab, and music staff notation all on the same screen...>>>

BiaB can do all this, and more. There are a few unique tricks in the BiaB notation arsenal. It will do things no other notation program does.

I sure hope I'm wrong, but after playing around with the fretboard/staff notation/Tab it appears that BIAB cannot do what Logic does.

To start, the Youtube video is playing audio taken from an early 1960's recording.
The person has then input the chords onto the fretboard so that when the audio chord changes the fretboard shows the exact chord being played.

The 1960's audio and the fretboard are in PERFECT sync.
Melody notes are also thrown in as well.

The staff notation and tab are perfect too.

How the heck do you accomplish this with BIAB?
TIA
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: Notation software - 07/20/11 06:09 AM
Quote:

In short, you can't. BIAB isn't notation/TAB software and it can't do what even the most basic level notation program can do.

But on the other hand, those programs can't even begin to do what BIAB can. But the two can work hand in hand.

Two totally different animals though.
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: Notation software - 07/20/11 06:55 AM
As a side note, you'll see that PG actually sells Finale. I don't have it, but I understand it's "primo" notation software.

PG doesn't market itself as a notation/TAB program, and it's definitely not, so I'm not sure why flatfoot said what he did.

http://www.pgmusic.com/finale.win.htm
Posted By: BIABguy Re: Notation software - 07/20/11 06:10 PM
Quote:

Quote:

In short, you can't. BIAB isn't notation/TAB software and it can't do what even the most basic level notation program can do.

Thanks, that's what I thought.
I don't know why Flatfoot said you could.
Because of his affirmation, I spent over an hour last night trying to make it work with no success.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Notation software - 07/20/11 07:45 PM
Quote:

I don't know why Flatfoot said you could.

I don't know anything about this topic, but did anyone ask Flatfoot to give an example? Maybe he does know something we could learn from.
Posted By: MartinB Re: Notation software - 07/20/11 07:58 PM
I'm not a guitar player ... but it appears pretty simple to have BB show notes, tab and fretboard on one screen. Notes and tab are displayed properly for any guitar track. A fretboard pops up whenever you press the, well, fretboard button. Pressing on Play shows a similar appearance as in the Youtube video - up to the note stem gimmicks on the tab staff. Maybe I'm missing something, though ...
Posted By: MartinB Re: Notation software - 07/20/11 08:31 PM
Quote:

That's a -> comment from the creator:

Quote:

J'utilise Logic (sur Mac), il permet de faire défiler la partition et j'ai conçu un manche de guitare virtuel qui s'allume à la réception d'un signal MIDI dans la fenêtre Environnement de Logic.

Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: Notation software - 07/20/11 08:50 PM
Quote:

Maybe I'm missing something, though ...

Martin,

I think there may be some confusion about the term “notation software”. The simplest analogy would be to compare it to going to your local music store and buying a book of blank music staff. Nothing but lines. (I still have a partially used one laying around from many years ago, aka the bad ole days). It’s partially filled with music that I laboriously entered note by note with a pencil.

Fast forward a few years and you have music notation software. You start with a blank slate. You either enter everything manually, import it, or use some sort of MIDI device to enter each note and nuance. (Notice I didn’t say record).

You can either write your own music, or take sheet music and manually enter the whole thing into the program. The programs include options for standard notation and TAB. They will even play the music after you’ve entered it, and use whatever instrument you’ve assigned to each track. You can then print professional quality sheet music, and the sheet music you buy was actually created on a “notation program”.

Examples of “notation programs” are Finale, (which PG Music sells and even offers bundles with BIAB), Sibelious, Guitar Pro, and many others.

BIAB is not a “notation program”. That’s why they sell Finale.
Posted By: BIABguy Re: Notation software - 07/20/11 10:43 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Maybe I'm missing something, though ...

Martin,

I think there may be some confusion about the term “notation software”. The simplest analogy would be to compare it to going to your local music store and buying a book of blank music staff. Nothing but lines. (I still have a partially used one laying around from many years ago, aka the bad ole days). It’s partially filled with music that I laboriously entered note by note with a pencil.

Examples of “notation programs” are Finale, (which PG Music sells and even offers bundles with BIAB), Sibelious, Guitar Pro, and many others.

BIAB is not a “notation program”. That’s why they sell Finale.

Thanks Bob!
Yup, you definitely need to be a guitar player to appreciate the question(s) being posed.

BTW I downloaded and used the Guitar Pro 6 demo to do the job this time, but it was not easy/user friendly, nor did it have all the features that I hoped it had for the job.
Posted By: MartinB Re: Notation software - 07/21/11 12:44 PM
Quote:

I think there may be some confusion about the term “notation software”.

Thanks Bob, 'course BiaB doesn't hold a candle to dedicated notation programs, such as Sibelius. Thought it was more about emulating what was being shown on this Youtube video. In terms of emulating the Youtube stuff, BiaB could do that. Plus it was virtually always possible to enter notes or notation into BiaB and have it then played back much in the vein of this Youtube sample.
Posted By: Flatfoot Re: Notation software - 07/22/11 01:08 AM
>>>...PG doesn't market itself as a notation/TAB program, and it's definitely not, so I'm not sure why flatfoot said what he did...>>>

1. When I need to print lead sheets quickly, BiaB is my program of choice. While it is true that BiaB does not claim to be a full featured notation program, it fulfills the limited need for lead sheets really well. I can get a song printed in under half an hour, start to finish.

2. The interface-the way BiaB accepts mouse-click entries and figures out the note values is brilliant. Way more intuitive than any other program.

When I need more detailed charts I use Noteworthy, which was recommended by someone on these fora. Very happy with it.
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: Notation software - 07/22/11 04:03 AM
Flatfoot,

Thanks for clarifying that. I just wanted to make sure we didn’t mislead BIABguy into thinking he could use BIAB as “notation software”. I know we all love the program, but we shouldn’t misrepresent it as a “one stop” program for all your musical needs. That would just leave folks pissed at being misled. I know I would be. If we tell them it’s the BEST backing tracks software on the planet on WIN or MAC, they’d find it to be to be true.

Finale is probably gonna be the closest to what he’s looking for compared to the vid on a Windows platform. I suggested Guitar Pro as cheaper alternative, (taking into account that Finale costs 9 or 10 times what GP does, and stringed instruments in general), especially for TAB, which was a criteria for BIABguy.
Posted By: Flatfoot Re: Notation software - 07/22/11 04:16 AM
>>>.... I know we all love the program, but we shouldn’t misrepresent it as a “one stop” program for all your musical needs...>>>

Yeah,Bob, you are right about that. BiaB would never stack up if it were the only notation program I had.

AND make sure you give Noteworthy Composer a try before you buy any other notation program.

...I wonder if anybody here has both Noteworthy PLUS either Sibelius or Finale. Is there anything Noteworthy WON'T do?

Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: Notation software - 07/22/11 04:18 AM
Martin,

Quote:

Thanks Bob, 'course BiaB doesn't hold a candle to dedicated notation programs, such as Sibelius. Thought it was more about emulating what was being shown on this Youtube video. In terms of emulating the Youtube stuff, BiaB could do that.

I have to agree with the first part of your statement, "BIAB doesn't hold a candle to dedicated notation programs". But the second part is terribly misleading. PG Music could emulate something similiar to what he saw on the vid, but a user can't.

I try to encourage every musician or wannabe musician to try BIAB, but I don't misrepresent the product and say it can do everything you want in a music program. PG doesn't offer Finale JUST because they want to make a buck. They do it because it fills a void.
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: Notation software - 07/22/11 05:10 AM
I feel that I have to throw this into the discussion. I hope that PG Music DOES NOT incorporate “notation software” into BIAB, UNLESS they offer it as a separate product.

The cost of BIAB has already gotten prohibitively expensive with the introduction of Real Tracks and Real Band. I wouldn’t want to see it priced “out of reach” of the Joe Blow musician. I haven’t been able to upgrade since 2009 because of the price, and I’m a long time user. That sucks, especially since they’ve incorporated some of the things I’ve specifically asked for, such as treating 8th notes as 8th notes in bluegrass, and not 16th notes. That was a REAL big problem for me.

So I don’t want to see them do anything that will jack the price up EVEN HIGHER! I hope they stick to doing what they do best. Offering the best backing tracks that anyone could want in a user friendly format.

Hopefully someday I can upgrade to what I personally asked Peter Gannon to do in a lengthy thread in which he participated, (thanks Peter), and take advantage of BIAB treating bluegrass as it is written, and not as it’s perceived.
Posted By: MartinB Re: Notation software - 07/22/11 06:21 AM
Quote:

PG Music could emulate something similiar to what he saw on the vid, but a user can't.

Why?
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: Notation software - 07/22/11 08:15 AM
Martin,

Maybe you know something I don't about BIAB. That wouldn't be too difficult.

So please emulate something for us using BIAB in TAB and standard notation with the fretboard that includes backing tracks that don't use tracks from BIAB in any way, shape or form.

Or, ................., realize what this thread is about. Notation software.

P.S. Using a clip from a PG lesson doesn't count, ......, unless you created it. I'm trying to keep from misleading a BIAB user. You appear to be trying to keep telling him he can do what he's looking for with BIAB. Please teach us how to do it.

We'd all like to know.
Posted By: MartinB Re: Notation software - 07/22/11 11:09 AM
You might import or enter your guitar play into the melody track, and then make this track a guitar track (Melody|Track Type -> Guitar). Making sure you select 'Tab' in the Notations Window Options, you get your notation along with Tab. Then you'll just need to open up your floating fretboard, align your windows to your liking - and you're all set. Works here.
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: Notation software - 07/22/11 05:49 PM
Martin,

I’m going to take one more crack at this. Most musicians who play fretted stringed instruments prefer TAB to standard notation, If you import midi into notation software the standard notation will be correct but the TAB almost certainly will NOT be the way the music is actually played, although it will be plausible or technically correct. What you created may look similar to you, but the TAB and fretboard will almost certainly be wrong.

Why does this matter? For example, an open G string sounds different than a D string fretted at the 5th fret, or an A string fretted at the 10th fret, or a low E string fretted at the 15th fret. But they are all the same note and same octave, yet they sound different, especially on an acoustic guitar. Midi and std. notation treat all these notes the same. Here is an excerpt from something I wrote several years ago concerning TAB vs. std notation.

Quote:

Tablature vs standard notation for stringed/fretted instruments. It’s frequently maligned and often misunderstood by people who don’t play stringed instruments, (and occasionally by those who do play them).

For anyone who may not be familiar with tablature, the number of lines = the number of strings. For example, a guitar has 6 strings and therefore has 6 lines in the notation. A banjo has 5 strings and therefore has 5 lines. A bass guitar has 4 strings and 4 lines, etc. A 0, (zero), on a line means an open string. A number on a particular line means you fret that string on that fret.

In the following, I have given 8 examples of a G major scale, all played in the same octave, in 8 different positions on the guitar. There are other positions you could play this scale in this octave, but “Eight Is Enough”. (I’m showing my age here). Tablature and standard notation are shown.

So TAB doesn’t just tell you what note to play, but where to play it.

Since you don’t play guitar, you might ask “why does it matter which one you use?” It some cases it may not, but each position opens up different possibilities for phrases or licks or ease of fingering. And they sound different when played on an instrument vs. playback of a midi file.

When “pickers” create music notation, they usually aren’t going to be importing a file, but manually entering the notes in TAB instead of std. notation, unless they’re a classical or jazz musician.

While it may be possible to create something that looks similar to the original post in BIAB, it’s extremely unwieldy, time consuming and impractical. And the sheet music when printed is definitely not professional quality, or as Finale calls it, “engraver quality”. Lets add track limitations to the list of reasons.

BIABguy came to the forum for help. Trying to steer him to use BIAB as notation software isn't helping him.

I hope this clears things up. Whew!!!
Posted By: MartinB Re: Notation software - 07/22/11 07:47 PM
Thanks for the tutorial, Bob. The whole rigmarole makes a whole lot more sense now. The BiaB virtual fretboard allows in principle entering notes to the melody track via clicking on virtual fretboard strings. Notes looking identical on the standard staff indeed show then up at the correct and potentially different fretboard positions when pressing Play. In principle it appears thus possible with BiaB to achieve what was shown in the Youtube example.

BiaB does not seem to be particularly user friendly with this mode of operation, though. Dedicated programs may provide more comfort here.
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: Notation software - 07/22/11 09:04 PM
Quote:

Thanks for the tutorial, Bob. The whole rigmarole makes a whole lot more sense now.

You're welcome Martin. Take care.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Notation software - 07/22/11 09:28 PM
That was interesting, Bob. With jazz charts, I never see TAB notation. Thanks.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Notation software - 07/22/11 10:12 PM
Quote:

That was interesting, Bob. With jazz charts, I never see TAB notation. Thanks.

Matt, Tab is everywhere for us guitarist - even in jazz charts. While, not so much for straight comping, it is very prevalent over in chord-melody tracks (which was actually the examples at the start of this thread).
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: Notation software - 07/22/11 10:24 PM
Matt,

I’m glad you found that interesting. I decided to save it in case I ever needed to explain it again.

With fretted stringed instruments, and the numerous ways available to play the same thing in the same octave, TAB is IMHO far superior to std. notation.

When I played piano for a year or so, and fiddle, I obviously used std. notation. But one of the great things about fiddle was that you could take mandolin TAB and use it for fiddle, since they are tuned exactly the same. So the songs I already knew on the mandolin instantly were available on the fiddle, with the exception of dealing with the bow and no frets. Fiddles can be screechy little bastards if you're off by the slightest amount on fingering or bowing.

TAB is an extremely versatile way to convey to someone precisely what’s being played.
Posted By: Flatfoot Re: Notation software - 07/22/11 10:25 PM
>>>....Most musicians who play fretted stringed instruments prefer TAB to standard notation...>>>

This is not true at all. I have been playing all my life and I do not use tab at all. Dozens of musicians of my acquantiance would say the same thing.

Tab is way to limited to be useful to me. It not allow for changing keys or even positions on the neck. It does not allow for playing the same tunes on guitar, banjo fiddle and mandolin, which I frequently do. At bottom, I am just not interested in learning to play the way another might do it. Tab just in not flexible enough.

I too am surprised to read that jazz guitarists use tab. Just does not fit with what I beleive jazz to be.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Notation software - 07/22/11 10:49 PM
Bob, has done a good job layng this topic out. Kudos to you guy.

To a jazz guiatrist it is all about voicings - so many way to play the same notes that if you want to communicate the "fingering" you have to show the Tablature (Tab). Of course the Tab does not show the note duration and many other musical itesm, so the standard notation is needed also. Then having an application which shows the animated fretboard display synched with the Tab is the cherry on the cake - if you are making a video.

Don't understand the problem stated with Guitar Pro, this program does all this very nicely. I suspect there was a bit of a learning curve which had to be achieved.
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: Notation software - 07/22/11 10:55 PM
Whoa flatfoot,

I didn’t say ALL fretted stringed musicians. You are personifying what I said about “frequently maligned and often misunderstood “.

Since almost all TAB includes standard notation, everyone gets what they need to learn to play.

I also play several instruments, but I think harping against TAB is an elitist thing. Telling a budding musician that they have to learn an inferior method of notation, (std. notation), is the same as telling them they aren’t welcome to the “club” unless they learn to read it. (If you need clarification on “inferior”, just look at my post using a G scale as an example!)

I use both, but I think you’d be hard pressed to find a majority of any fretted stringed instrument musicians to say they prefer std. notation outside of classical or jazz. Why make learning an instrument any harder than it already is?
Posted By: DrDan Re: Notation software - 07/22/11 11:02 PM
Quote:

>>>....Most musicians who play fretted stringed instruments prefer TAB to standard notation...>>>

This is not true at all. I have been playing all my life and I do not use tab at all. Dozens of musicians of my acquantiance would say the same thing.

I too am surprised to read that jazz guitarists use tab. Just does not fit with what I beleive jazz to be.

Good points. There is actually a very funny video (can't find it now) of several recent (70's) Guitar Gods playing their licks. then the "...little numbers on the lines " are taken away and they can't play at all.

Then the famous joke; "How do you stop a horn player from playing?, - take away his sheet music". followed by "how to you stop a guitar player from playing?, - put the sheet music in front of him".

And finally, several years back I completed a certificate course in Jazz Guitar from Berklee School of Music - ~50 % of the course material was in Tab.
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: Notation software - 07/22/11 11:06 PM
Dan,

Quote:

Of course the Tab does not show the note duration

All the way through GP4, the TAB had note stems and values. When GP5 came out, they adopted what you see now. I had numerous email exchanges with the guys at Guitar Pro, and they promised me they would "fix" it in the next release. They didn't. Even tho I have GP5, I still use GP4. It's better in a whole host of ways.

Quote:

Thanks Dan. I appreciate that. I tried to be very thorough in that last explanation.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Notation software - 07/22/11 11:15 PM
Quote:

All the way through GP4, the TAB had note stems and values. When GP5 came out, they adopted what you see now. I had numerous email exchanges with the guys at Guitar Pro, and they promised me they would "fix" it in the next release. They didn't. Even tho I have GP5, I still use GP4. It's better in a whole host of ways.

I am working on GP v6 right now and have never seen note stems on TAB? Perhaps there is a button to push which I have never used? Otherwise, as you know, it is very common to lay out both Tab and Standard Notation together.
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: Notation software - 07/22/11 11:36 PM
Dan,

Just look back at my post on the G scale, #325100. That's GP4 and you'll see the note stems. GP5 and GP6 don't have it. GP4 is also customizable on spacing between ....... , well, everything.... and font size of whatever you wish to change. GP5 and 6 aren't.

I increase the spacing between the TAB lines and increase the font size of the numbers and make them bold.

You can also turn off std. notation or TAB. Whichever you prefer. (In GP4).
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: Notation software - 07/23/11 12:07 AM
flatfoot,

Which one these better conveys to the student what they should play? The TAB or the std. notation?

(Note: I didn't "doctor" the std, notation. That's just the way it came out.)

Dan, Take note, (pun intended), of the note stems on the TAB. That's GP4.
Posted By: lkmuller Re: Notation software - 07/23/11 01:30 AM
No doubt about it, for the student, tab is the easiest and fastest way to convey to him what you want him to play. Many of the transcriptions I have are in tab. Easiest way to learn them. I like the the stems on the tabs, too. Never seen them before. Very cool.

That being said, I've never had a gig, and there have many over the years, where the MD gave me my part in tab, and if I had asked for it in tab, I suspect they would have gotten someone else. Now that's a completely different situation from practicing. It's work, and you're paid to play what the arranger's written.

But for the student, or someone who plays for his or her own enjoyment, or plays in a group where nobody reads, tab is the way to go, for sure. But at some point, if the student is serious about learning his instrument, he'll need to learn how to read.

And Dan, I know a few guitar players here who attended Berklee (I assume that's where you meant in your post) and they are excellent, I mean EXCELLENT readers. And the cats can blow. They never had tab when they attended back in the 70's. They had to learn how to read, or leave. It's different nowadays, and I mean that in a good way. The students learn faster. But believe me, before they graduate, they better know how to read.
Posted By: BIABguy Re: Notation software - 07/23/11 04:15 AM
Quote:

Yes he has!

Quote:

Don't understand the problem stated with Guitar Pro, this program does all this very nicely. I suspect there was a bit of a learning curve which had to be achieved.

I was hoping to be able to have a blank sheet of say 24 bars (no music in the bars) and then be able to take my chords that I created on the left side and drag them onto whatever beat in whatever bar I wanted.

I couldn't see a way to do that.

I also couldn't see a way to name the chords I created, using my own names.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Notation software - 07/23/11 01:21 PM
Quote:

I was hoping to be able to have a blank sheet of say 24 bars (no music in the bars) and then be able to take my chords that I created on the left side and drag them onto whatever beat in whatever bar I wanted.

Here is GuitarPro V6 with my attempt to reproduce what i remember seeing in the original link. This is standard notation, TAB and animated Guitar Fretboard all working as GP does it. Makes for a nice video.

this is simply for practice and teaching purposes. We have come a long way from working out in the woodshed.

Chord Melody in GP

Composing and arrangeing for Guitar does require some considerations, not all things go, as we only have four fingers and unless you have monster hands some intervals just don't work. This is best summed up here:

http://musicianwages.com/the-working-musician/music-notation-for-guitar/

Posted By: Flatfoot Re: Notation software - 07/23/11 01:41 PM
>>>...I didn’t say ALL fretted stringed musicians....>>>

Yes, Bob, I know. You said "most." This was the statement with with which I disagreed.
Posted By: Mac Re: Notation software - 07/23/11 01:52 PM
Those who have access to a good guitar MIDI pickup and controller can set pgmusic products guitar settings to Multichannel, which puts each string on a different MIDi channel and also automatically knows which "G" you play on which string. It will then notate accordingly.

If you don't have a MIDI guitar setup, you can still set the notation options to Multichannel and then be able to better designate these things, but it will take a lot longer to implement with the mouse and keyboard.

--Mac
Posted By: Flatfoot Re: Notation software - 07/23/11 01:54 PM
>>>...Which one these better conveys to the student what they should play? The TAB or the std. notation?...>>>>

When I want a student to use a certain fingering, I add the fingering to the standard notation. I can do this using notation software or by hand. Same for bends, ties and slurs.
Posted By: DrDan Re: Notation software - 07/23/11 02:01 PM
Quote:

Those who have access to a good guitar MIDI pickup and controller can set pgmusic products guitar settings to Multichannel, which puts each string on a different MIDi channel and also automatically knows which "G" you play on which string. It will then notate accordingly.

If you don't have a MIDI guitar setup, you can still set the notation options to Multichannel and then be able to better designate these things, but it will take a lot longer to implement with the mouse and keyboard.

--Mac

Of course, ala our man Carlos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VxCPlfV1lA&feature=related
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: Notation software - 07/23/11 03:40 PM
Dan,

Nice job on the video.
Posted By: BIABguy Re: Notation software - 07/23/11 07:41 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Sorry for the confusion here Dan.

My initial post was about reproducing the video I had mentioned.
But I also wanted to know if GuitarPro could allow a user to create their own sheet of guitar digrams, which comprised of custom chords, with custom names, and input over a staff on beats to their liking.
So first create say, 20 custom chords. Then drag the chords anywhere on the sheet at any bar/beat.

Quote:

Here is GuitarPro V6 with my attempt to reproduce what i remember seeing in the original link. This is standard notation, TAB and animated Guitar Fretboard all working as GP does it. Makes for a nice video.

Good job Dan!
It is different however from the video I posted.
In the video I posted the audio was from a 1960's recording.
In your video I believe you are taking the midi from the notation input, and using that to generate your sounds?

Quote:

Composing and arrangeing for Guitar does require some considerations, not all things go, as we only have four fingers and unless you have monster hands some intervals just don't work.

Yes it does.
I noticed in your video that there were some 'un-guitaristic' fingerings/chords.
Did you play them live, or did you construct them another way?

TIA
Posted By: DrDan Re: Notation software - 07/23/11 08:27 PM
I think I know what you want to do overall here, I have been there myself and still attempt to do this. I agree we have been all over the block with lots of good stuff in this thread but at the root is still the objective to TRANSCRIBE a recording (note for note) with a NOTATION SOFTWARE.

Bottom line, this is a chore - no canned-package will do this for you. Technology just ain't there yet. So we are left to attempt to simulate the old fashion way of using our ears with pen and paper - with what ever tools exist.

The effort I showed you in Guitar Pro V6 was all GPv6, including the sounds. The arrangement was the authors and the composing was - well who ever wrote Somewhere over the rainbow. with the program you can enter note for note the entire arrangement, in any of the three formats - Tab, Standard or Freboard. If you enter one form, all the other two are automatically completed. Then you can edit any of the three and all others adjust - exactly what a Notation Program will do for you. Besides being able to then print the score, most Notation programs (all modern ones) will then allow you to play the score as a midi file.

Many Notation Programs will allow you to store predefinded Chord structures and insert them. GP has a very good feature for this. Also Finale Notepad I believe has this feature so I think it is common. Personnaly, I would nOT begin this effort with BIAB. I think there a better designed tools for this job and BIAB's strengths lie in other areas.

Good luck, keep looking, let us know what you find. But in the meantime don't let the lack of the tool stop you from using your ear and pen and paper.

dan
Posted By: Cornet Nev Re: Notation software - 07/23/11 08:31 PM
Well I can't christen the software that did that, and I play around with a lot. However the original transcription was done by Gilles Rea. If any one can read French, you might get more information from this website.

http://web.me.com/gilles.rea/music/transcriptions/transcriptions.html
Posted By: DrDan Re: Notation software - 07/23/11 08:45 PM
Quote:

Well I can't christen the software that did that, and I play around with a lot. However the original transcription was done by Gilles Rea. If any one can read French, you might get more information from this website.

It has already been confirmed it is Logic on the Mac OS. ...long thread ain't it?
Posted By: DrDan Re: Notation software - 07/23/11 08:51 PM
How could I have forgotten about this. On the subject of Notation Programs, MusEdit is a monster Guitar Notation Program.

http://musedit.com/

Best of all

MusEdit is now free as of March 1, 2011.
To download the fully functional version of MusEdit, click on this link:
Download MusEdit 4.0.3
The MusEdit manual will be posted as a pdf document soon.

Guys, if you are looking, this is a no brainer
Posted By: Cornet Nev Re: Notation software - 07/23/11 09:05 PM
Quote:

Quote:

It has already been confirmed it is Logic on the Mac OS. ...long thread ain't it?

Woops. I didn't realise there were more than one page, senior moment at this end.
Posted By: BIABguy Re: Notation software - 07/23/11 10:04 PM
Quote:

I think I know what you want to do overall here, I have been there myself and still attempt to do this...

Bottom line, this is a chore - no canned-package will do this for you. Technology just ain't there yet. So we are left to attempt to simulate the old fashion way of using our ears with pen and paper - with what ever tools exist....

The effort I showed you in Guitar Pro V6 was all GPv6, including the sounds.... If you enter one form, all the other two are automatically completed. Then you can edit any of the three and all others adjust - exactly what a Notation Program will do for you.

...Many Notation Programs will allow you to store predefinded Chord structures and insert them. GP has a very good feature for this.... Personnaly, I would nOT begin this effort with BIAB. I think there a better designed tools for this job and BIAB's strengths lie in other areas....

Good luck, keep looking, let us know what you find. But in the meantime don't let the lack of the tool stop you from using your ear and pen and paper.

dan

Thanks Dan, you've managed to cover all the bases that I was interested in and have answered them perfectly!

I guess for the time being, the ol' pen/pencil and paper will still be called upon at least occasionally.
If I discover anything new, I will certainly keep you folks posted.
Posted By: Joe Gordon Re: Notation software - 07/23/11 10:05 PM
jazzmandan,
As you say " a no brainer".......especially for ANY fretted instrument player.
I've used Musedit for things that Sibelius couldn't do............. and it's very 'user friendly'.
A fantastic FREE programme now . Joe G
© PG Music Forums