PG Music Home
Posted By: Charlie McG Years & Years Ago - 07/21/11 05:16 PM
Just did a new video of an original song. Any input is appreciated. This one is a little personal.

Years & Years Ago
Posted By: Ryszard Re: Years & Years Ago - 07/21/11 05:28 PM
You know, I was prepared to not like this. I didn't want to like it. Except that it's fascinating, and now I can't get it out of my head.

I have no suggestions for you. You nailed it--whatever "it" is. Srsly.

R.
Posted By: Curmudgeon Re: Years & Years Ago - 07/21/11 05:44 PM
Quite Unique, Charley. Nothing cookie cutter about you.

Don S.
Posted By: Charlie McG Re: Years & Years Ago - 07/21/11 06:13 PM
Ryszard, thanks a lot. Glad you liked it. Worked really hard on this one. Appreciate your comments.

Don, thanks very much. I consider that a high compliment.
Posted By: MarioD Re: Years & Years Ago - 07/21/11 08:16 PM
What an excellent tribute!

You are becoming a musician and a video expert! Great job on both!

I also had a flashback to my “good old days”!

Two thumbs up!

PS – excellent guitar chops also!
Posted By: Brallan Re: Years & Years Ago - 07/21/11 08:26 PM
Charlie:

Another wonderful, truly unique offering.

You say, "a little personal," and I say for me as well, more than a little. All of your background videos and icons are etched on my memory... I saw Buddy Holly perform a week before he crashed. I bet you and I are almost exactly the same age. And I have also lost dear friends in probably much the same ways as you. Tear to my eye, and all that... Be Bop a lula.

Keep on truckin'.
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: Years & Years Ago - 07/21/11 08:31 PM
Charlie,

I always enjoy your videos, this one included.

My favorite is still “You Make Me Wanna Move”.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H22-7M_7ZBk&feature=related

Edit: I just watched "Waitin Around" for the first time. That one's a hoot too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWIzOPRGbPk&NR=1

Posted By: Charlie McG Re: Years & Years Ago - 07/21/11 08:57 PM
Mario, thanks a lot for watching and for your comments. I was hoping others could relate as well.

Brad, thanks a lot for watching and for your comments. Like you, I'm sure most of us have lost friends and family along the way. I'm 66 and have lost a lot of musician friends that I would have liked to have included in the video. But didn't have room or time to do all that I would have liked. Thanks again.
Posted By: Charlie McG Re: Years & Years Ago - 07/21/11 08:59 PM
Thanks, Bob. 'You make me wanna move' may be my favorite as well. The 'Waitin' Around' is, as one my friend says, a little over the edge.
Posted By: Danny C. Re: Years & Years Ago - 07/22/11 12:39 AM
Charlie,

Top notch as always . . . I think it was said earlier but it also brought back memories of my own as well.

Later,
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Years & Years Ago - 07/22/11 12:46 AM
Crazy Charlie, nice stuff, i really liked the video, and the cool guitar licks.
Posted By: Ryszard Re: Years & Years Ago - 07/22/11 06:31 AM
Charles,

This is the first time I've encountered your work. OMG. Just listened to and watched "You Make Me Wanna Move." KICK. ASS. MIX. And that was over my LITTLE speakers. I've never heard such solid bottom end out of them, and I listen to a LOT of program material through them. I'm in awe.

I know nothing about modern video production, so what you are doing is sorcery to me. Yeah, it's cheesy, but you're very good at it and it WORKS. Don't change a thing.

BTW, I figured out what "it" is. The two videos are reminiscent of Mike Nesmith's Elephant Parts, the seminal video album upon which MTV was based. Yup, the ex-Monkee is responsible for that, and it made him quite the wealthy man. (It runs in the family; his mother invented White Out.) Half comedy and half music, this volume is virtually unknown.

Search on "Elephant Parts video" and you'll find the various tracks on youtube. But "Sunset Sam" (may not be the actual title--it's listed on youtube as "Cruisin'") is what brought the comparison to your work, both music and video, to mind. Watch and enjoy.

R.
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: Years & Years Ago - 07/22/11 06:52 AM
Charlie,

Quote:

Thanks, Bob. 'You make me wanna move' may be my favorite as well. The 'Waitin' Around' is, as one my friend says, a little over the edge.

Whoever told you that “Waitin’ Around” was a little over the edge is being a little too “PC”, (aka politically correct). You vids are fun, and you should continue to do whatever you think is good. You’re batting 100% as far as I can see.
Posted By: ZeroZero Re: Years & Years Ago - 07/22/11 07:48 AM
VERY nice work, your wife (?) is good too!

Charlie
Posted By: Charlie McG Re: Years & Years Ago - 07/22/11 10:35 AM
Danny, thanks. Glad it stirred some memories.

Robh, thanks for watching and for your input.

Ryszard, thanks again. Your comments are very kind. I saw Bob's thread and will check out Nesmith. Was aware that he was a Monkee and knew he was in business but not of these accomplishments.

Bob, thanks again. Going to check out your thread next.

ZeroZero, thanks a lot. That lady is just a friend not my wife. She'a a DJ at my home town's radio station. She loves western swing. Very nice person and singer.
Posted By: Mick Emery Re: Years & Years Ago - 07/22/11 12:26 PM
I could watch your vids every day.
I happened to notice the pic of Jerry Lee Lewis. I didn't think he was dead...
Nice work.
Posted By: Ryszard Re: Years & Years Ago - 07/22/11 12:36 PM
Charlie, in case you missed it, the words "Sunset Sam" in my previous post are a link to a Nesmith video. I hope you decide to watch. I think you'll enjoy it.
Posted By: Mac Re: Years & Years Ago - 07/22/11 01:28 PM
'Nuther good'un, Charlie, God Bless.

--Mac
Posted By: Callie - PG Music Re: Years & Years Ago - 07/22/11 02:50 PM
Charlie - I think this song is absolutely GREAT!
Posted By: jford Re: Years & Years Ago - 07/22/11 03:24 PM
Hi, Charlie -

Love your sense of humor in your songs; keep doing tongue-in-cheek, it serves you well. I loved listening to Years and Years Ago. Went back and listened to I Want To Touch You, also.
Posted By: Charlie McG Re: Years & Years Ago - 07/22/11 05:22 PM
Mick, thanks for watching and your comments. Jerry Lee is still alive. I didn't really mean for all my influences to be dead but it turned out that way. Except for Jerry Lee. I realized that before I posted but let it go.

Ryszard, I will look at that video. I looked at two of them and they were very good. Thanks.

Mac, thanks a lot. Man, it's a cooker this summer.

Callie, thanks a lot for a great compliment.

John, thanks for watching and your comments. Glad you liked it. I actually tried not to be funny in this one. Guess it's just in my demeanor.
Posted By: gibson Re: Years & Years Ago - 07/23/11 05:39 AM
Excellent as usual Charlie, your little brain cells worked overtime again.
Keep up the good work

Alyn
Posted By: Charlie McG Re: Years & Years Ago - 07/23/11 01:48 PM
Alyn, thanks a lot. Glad you liked it.
© PG Music Forums