PG Music Home
This is part of an original done by my friend in the 70's. I ran it through the ACW and then added RDs & a sax RT. I did this when RB first came out a couple years back. I also did the bass part.
The ACW is a wonderful piece of programming. Hope Jeff and James keep up on it so it reaches full potential. As far as I know it can still cause issues with the new Elastique, right?
Quote:

The ACW is a wonderful piece of programming. Hope Jeff and James keep up on it so it reaches full potential.

at it's full potential what are some af the things it will do that it doesn't do now

That's all I got from the link

"Sorry, we are unable to retrieve this document."
Yeah, link is failing, may need to be on a list to retrieve it(?)

I explained in my post, pgboemike; I think the new Elastique stretching is having issues in RB with generating tracks that have tempo changes. Since one of the cool things about ACW is ability to line up tempos to existing recordings pretty exactly (down to thousandths of a second) it lost some usability here. Unless this got fixed and I missed it. Previous versions have the full potential.
I think it's time to get rid of Google Docs. 95% of the time there's a problem with sharing.
See if this is better
One Night Lady
Quote:

See if this is better
One Night Lady

that link worked and...

MAN, what a great sounding song! Reminded me of something from Huey Lewis and the News SPORTS CD! Good job, John!
Sounds great, John.

--Mac
Very nice indeed.

Later,
Okay, newbie time again.

What are you all talking about?

American Communications Workers? Accessibility Control Wizard? American Championship Wrestling?

Okay of course I know it is audio chord wizard, but again I have no idea what it is supposed to do. Chord wizard? I know my chords an my chord wheel. What is this? What does it do? How do you use it? Another plug-in thing that requires you standing on one leg while holding down 4 specific keys to load it? Does it correct sloppy play or what? Would it pull my awful singing up those couple of cents I am flat? There's a glitch in the matrix. The world's not right. MOMMY!!!!
+1
Just ran a song through it, and even after ACW, I still sing a little flat.... ;-)

On a serious note, ACW screen is up and my song is playing. I see a button above that says "OK- Send to RB." What is that going to do, overwrite the song as it was before I did this? I really like what I had and this doesn't sound any different so there should be no harm if I do this, but I just wanted to check.
ACW allows you to (for instance) open an mp3 in RB, use the ACW to get the chords, and set the tempo to the mp3 (or wav or whatever) and send it back to RB, so you can then generate additional parts, or just have the chords and record more parts, or finish a piece you started years ago.
Very powerful.
OHHHH!!!!! THAT'S what that is all about. You mean I could import an MP3 of a Yes tune and it would detect the chords??
Eddie,

For a guy who already knows the chords, or can listen to most tunes and surmise what the changes are, the ACW may not seem to be of much value, something for folks that don't have that knowledge or ability. Nothing could be further from the truth, as I have found out, using the ACW when you are tasked with building a chart or a recording for a tune that is already recorded somewhere can be invaluable. If for no other reason than you can start by hitting New in the program, load the audio file into the ACW, get things straight there and hit the 'send' button to get a full layout of the song in one button push. Even if it does identify some of the chords wrong, correcting a few chords is a LOT less hassle than filling out chordsheet from the gitgo, plus no measure counting, etc.

I've often thought that the thing would be a great tool for someone who is tasked with the making of sheets or fakebooks or the like, for the above reasons. Likely there are some out there doing just that.

--Mac
Quote:

OHHHH!!!!! THAT'S what that is all about. You mean I could import an MP3 of a Yes tune and it would detect the chords??

Correct. It's not perfect by a long shot but it's very good. The example I did was a song my friend recored back in the 70's. He sent me the MP3 minus the bass. I ran it through the ACW to get the chords. Did a little fixing. Then in the chord sheet I added the BLUE & GREEN part markers. OH. Before sending to RB I sat there with the F8 key tapping in the tempo for a few measures. Once the tune was in RB I just chose a RD part and generated. Then a sax part and generated. I could have gone on with as many parts as I wanted . All in perfect time and the right chords.
Playing with it now. Looks interesting and cool at the same time.

So far it isn't even close, as I am loading a song from my old band's CD that I know.... but this is why we play and how we learn. I am already at a loss where to set bar 1. At -1, 0 .... because the first chord is already wrong and I can't see the pattern of the intro even if it is just a transposition issue. But hey, this is song one.
Well you know Bar 1 is like: 1,2,3,4 Bar1 not counting any pick up phrases.
Very under-rated tool, another thing PGMusic has that is better than other DAW's. Not perfect; none are. But having the ability to *quickly* create a seq file from an existing recording is awesome. Then being able to add or generate tracks to it. Should be a huge feature in the advertisements in my eyes, but instead it seems a little discussed feature.

There's a video around here somewhere showing a quick tutorial on using it.
Quote:

What are you all talking about?

Eddie, my friend, my buddy and I say that seriously because you remind me so much of a very good friend of mine. Have you ever heard of the manual or forum search? The ACW has been asked and written about extensively and Rharv even did a great tutorial about it. It's in the Tip and Tricks forum. Oh yeah, have you looked at that forum lately? If others want to explain the thing in detail here great but I'm not going to except for this, imagine you have an old recording of your sister playing guitar and singing from 20 years ago. You think it would be cool to put some Biab tracks to it but as you know you have to set the tempo and an old recording done without a click will have wandering tempo so you're lucky if you get more than 5 bars lined up properly until the tempo wanders so bad it's unusable so what to do? Put the recording into the ACW, it will create a tempo map so the new tracks will follow the tempo changes in your sisters recording. Of course it's not that easy, there's some hoops you have to jump through but Rharv gave the whole thing to you on a silver platter. Cool eh?

Ok, ok I was going to be a hard ass about it and not give it to you but just for you here's the link

ACW - setting the tempo

Really Eddie, all you needed to do was to hit "Search Forums>Tips & Tricks>Keyword "ACW"> make it a year and hit enter. Simple. Or make it "All Forums" and be busy reading for a week.

Bob
Concerning that video;
That piece is actually in 12/8. My intent was to follow up with videos showing how, if you change the meter (time sig) and then use the F8 key in ACW to re-layout the tempo to match, you can use 3/4, 6/8, and 12/8 styles with the same piece. But time (and the screen capture software trial) ran short. I should try to revisit this.

/wish they'd hire me to do this stuff, then I'd get to it sooner
//I'll get to it when I can
Quote:

Have you ever heard of the manual or forum search?

Sure! In fact I used to work with Manuel....

That post was my facetious way of saying "I have never heard of ACW because I never had a reason to look if there was such a thing.

I DID try it for about 30 minutes but the results were not good and I needed to get some other things done. And then someone called and I had to remote into their computer to fix some things. For 75 minutes (of billable time) on a Sunday night....

I likely wont have a lot of use for ACW so I won't spend that much time with it, but I will watch the demo to see what it can do for me.

I just love how the acronyms fly around this 200 mph get-it-done-an-hour-ago world of ours, and everybody walking into a room is supposed to know every acronym just by osmosis. It's like listening to NASCAR people talk and they never seem to say "car" or "crash".

"Yeah we was runnin' a little tight and I had Bubba tweak the drift panels and he tweaked too far and we was then runnin' a little loose and when I came out of number 4 there we drifted a little bit and impacted with the 17 and we touched and...."

Translation for northern people? "Bubba messed up my car and I hit another guy's bumper and we crashed into the wall and now I am here talking to you."

Similar in concept....

Load the VST and the DXi into your DAW and drop from BIAB to RB then go to your control surface...

I am a little slower minded. I still call a control surface a controller, a VST a soft synth... Then again I play buzzword bingo at the staff meetings, so... I won last week with "moving forward", "adding a resource" and "paradigm shift". I was sweating "adding a resource" but then I came out of the number 4 and there it was.... is it cheating if I asked a question that prompted the use of "adding a resource" in the answer?

But back to topic, I loaded a song from my band's CD that is in C and it came out in F and the chords were 75% wrong even in the wrong key. I was, however, quite amazed that it worked at all to take an MP3 and analyze it that fast to print chords on the screen. So I will play with it some more when my brain is not numb from a long day.

(You can probably tell from my posts that I don't take much very seriously... not at this age and this close to the finish line.)
rharv said "I explained in my post, pgboemike;"

i misunderstood

i thought in addition the Elastique, issue you were looking for additional features and just wondered what they were
Quote:

I explained in my post, pgboemike; I think the new Elastique stretching is having issues in RB with generating tracks that have tempo changes. Since one of the cool things about ACW is ability to line up tempos to existing recordings pretty exactly (down to thousandths of a second) it lost some usability here. Unless this got fixed and I missed it. Previous versions have the full potential.

You're correct rharv, this has not yet been fixed. It's an important fix, both from the standpoint of the ACW useability and because the slightest tempo change, even a simple ritard at the end of a song, will cause serious problems when attempting to re-generate portions of any of the realtracks. I really hope PG is spending some time on this.

Terry
Hi Eddie,
I know what you mean about all the acronyms. I get lost a lot, not just here. I remember asking what's IMHO?
I didn't know what ACW was for a long time either. I use it mostly for figuring out my old songs that I've forgotten what the chords are.
Some come out great, almost perfect, while others are a mess if the song is too busy.
But for the one's that work, it's a nice little feature.
Wayne,
Quote:

I am a little slower minded. I still call a control surface a controller, a VST a soft synth... Then again I play buzzword bingo at the staff meetings, so...

Buzzword bingo. I like that one. The thing with buzzwords is if they're industry standards then you pretty much have to learn and use them. To be brief, you mentioned VST and soft synth together. It's not VST it's VSTi. The 'i' stands for instrument. A VST with no 'i' means it's not a soft synth, it's an effect plugin. The reason this could be important in an internet forum discussion is there's lots of cases where a given plugin is giving some problem or other and sometimes the answer is first, to know what you're talking about, an effect plugin or a synthezier and if it is a dual VSTi/Dxi synth. Sometimes if you're using it as a DXi switching it to a VSTi will cure the problem or vice versa. It's not enough to ask in a forum my XYZ softsynth isn't working and here's what it's doing. You have to specify if it's a VSTi or DXi, is it only one of those or it's installed as both of those. Yes, it's a separate install for each and you can use either one in Biab/RB. As I've said many times, this stuff is complicated, you're prior knowledge of computers means nothing here and the PC manufacturers could care less about us musicians trying to work with digital audio.

So yeah, even though I completely understand you're reluctance to do so, you really need to know these digital audio acronyms bacause they are industry standard and that's the language everybody speaks.

Bob
Or we could all type everything out like this-
Audio Chord Wizard
Audio chord wizard
audio chord wizard
ACW
acw
nevermind.

We all use 'em cause they make things easier .. once you know what they are.
© PG Music Forums