PG Music Home
Posted By: toucher Sound card vs midi / audio interface - 08/31/11 02:29 PM
In all my years of home recording and learning about midi, etc, I still have what I can only attribute to a mental block regarding certain signal flow issues. I know there are some Midi / Audio interfaces that are basically a fancy patch bay albeit some with fx and pre amps etc. These units basically direct signal flow from a guitar or mic and or midi keyboard into the computer sound card or VSC or Coyote.

I have seen write ups for midi / audio interfaces such as some focusrite models that sound as though they are complete recording systems in and of themselves and would work thru Real band or similar recording software such as cubase etc, even if my computer had no sound source of its own.

There are cards like the 2496 that have both midi and audio that plug into your computer so all of your sounds coming out of the computer speakers are coming from that card.

My confusion is this; Is there a stand alone sound source that will do both midi and audio so that I would not even need a computer except to operate the software program like cubase, or powertracks etc. Something with drivers that will allow me to switch between the computer sounds system if so desired or take it out of the loop entirely. I can do it with midi ie; the ketron,or similar, I can use a digital recorder arranger like the Boss or roland or even some of the new workstation keyboards.

What I am looking for is a sound module that will accept signal from Real Band etc both midi and audio and play it through speakers or phones, without coloring the sound. The realtec isn't all that bad but i'd like to upgrade somewhat and get better midi etc. All in one unit that also acts as an interface / mixer.

Whew./

Any input is appreciated.

Rob
Posted By: Mac Re: Sound card vs midi / audio interface - 08/31/11 02:38 PM
First, the AP2496 card does not have any MIDI sound capabilities of its own. Most soundcards do not have that anymore. The MIDI on most sound devices is just a MIDI connection port designed for the hookup of MIDI controller instruments and MIDI synths.

If I follow what you are after, the M-Audio USB Fast Track Pro sounds like what you may be after.

--Mac
Posted By: rharv Re: Sound card vs midi / audio interface - 08/31/11 04:31 PM
http://www.rolandus.com/products/productdetails.php?ProductId=897
Quote:

If I follow what you are after, the M-Audio USB Fast Track Pro sounds like what you may be after.

Please note that if you're using any operating system other that Window 7 64-bit, the Fast Track's ASIO drivers won't work with Band-in-a-Box. You'll be able to use ASIO with RealBand, but will be stuck using MME with BIAB. For some people, that's not an issue, but others find that to be a deal-breaker.

Cheers
Kent
PG Music
Posted By: DrDan Re: Sound card vs midi / audio interface - 08/31/11 08:11 PM
Quote:

Please note that if you're using any operating system other that Window 7 64-bit, the Fast Track's ASIO drivers won't work with Band-in-a-Box. You'll be able to use ASIO with RealBand, but will be stuck using MME with BIAB. For some people, that's not an issue, but others find that to be a deal-breaker.

Cheers
Kent
PG Music

Boy that is sure the information you want to know before a purchase. I don't think I knew that there was an issue. I would assume there is a "compatibility" thread somewhere with this info so we can direct newbees.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Sound card vs midi / audio interface - 08/31/11 08:34 PM
Isn't that right. I have one of these and never gave it any thought once the Windows 7 64-bit drivers came out, since it worked fine. This is important info, though, since there were other recent threads requesting info about Fast Track and BIAB.
Hi guys,

There was a thread a while back regarding ASIO compatibility using different interfaces, but everyone in the thread who was using the Fast Track also happened to be using Win7, so had no problems.

I've mentioned the compatibility issue a few times, but the Fast Track comes up a lot a lot... Luckily, Windows 7 is getting more widely adopted, so this issue has been coming up less and less.

Here's a link to that thread, if anybody's interested:
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=319047&an=&page=&vc=1

Kent
PG Music
Posted By: rharv Re: Sound card vs midi / audio interface - 08/31/11 10:20 PM
Thanks Kent.
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: Sound card vs midi / audio interface - 08/31/11 10:52 PM
This is very confusing and extremely difficult to nail down because of all the tradeoffs.

First, none of the modern interfaces have any on board sound except for the Sonic Cell. I have a SC and it works great. It's a full Roland hardware synth including a nice GM sondbank that retails for about $700. I bought mine used for $400. Things change so fast I probably shouldn't say none, maybe there's others now. Most are like you indicated, input/output devices. My $500 EMU 1820M has midi in/out, two XLR mic inputs and eight RCA ins/outs. This is for multitrack live recording. My SC is a good interface, the ASIO works fine but it's only got one combo XLR and 1/4" input with a line in and two 1/4" stereo outs. Not good for multitracking like my 1820M. The 1820M has no built in synths or other sound but it has a very complex and sophisticated PatchMix digital mixer. Not a physical mixer. I don't believe any of them come with a physical mixer but I think Tascam and/or Mackie have a fairly expensive physical mixer that will interface with their regular interface. I see the SC is now discontinued so I don't know if anything is available to replace it.

You said this:

Quote:

I have seen write ups for midi / audio interfaces such as some focusrite models that sound as though they are complete recording systems in and of themselves and would work thru Real band or similar recording software such as cubase etc, even if my computer had no sound source of its own.

This is confusing. If you installed a softsynth like the VSC or Forte DXi, then your conputer has an internal sound source, right? Every computer has a built in sound chip on the mobo so they all have a built in "sound source".

I mentioned tradeoffs. The biggest one is do you like being able to do direct rendering or not? Direct rendering requires software VSTI or DXi synths, it won't work with external hardware synths. If you're using hardware then you have to route the audio output from a synth like my SC, back into your interface, the 1820M in my case, route it internally to Real Band or other DAW and record your finished song in real time as it plays back. A five minute song takes five minutes while a direct render may only take 20-30 seconds.

The way you worded your conclusion sounds like you need a good multi in/out interface similar to my EMU. With that you can use either your internal softsynths or external hardware. Something like my SC with a full synth plus multiple ins/outs that also acts as an interface may not exist.

Bob
Posted By: DrDan Re: Sound card vs midi / audio interface - 08/31/11 11:42 PM
Quote:

This is very confusing and extremely difficult to nail down because of all the tradeoffs.

You said that right.

Quote:

sounds like you need a good multi in/out interface similar to my EMU. With that you can use either your internal softsynths or external hardware. Something like my SC with a full synth plus multiple ins/outs that also acts as an interface may not exist.

But you don't seem confused at all, this is my understanding also.
I was going to say there was no device with a built in synth that also is an audio and midi interface but rharv shot that down. It's not that confusing except win 7 64 has thrown a mankey wrench into things.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Sound card vs midi / audio interface - 09/01/11 01:56 AM
I get really lost in these discussions only because until VERY recently I never used anything other than the Cakewalk soft synth that came with Sonar, and very little of that. I played parts in through a controller and played them back through my synthesizers. Granted I could get a lot of studio space back by not doing it that way but there's just something about the sounds in those old Ensoniq synths that I can't let go of. The warmth of those strings, the bite of the pianos....
Posted By: toucher Re: Sound card vs midi / audio interface - 09/01/11 03:07 AM
Wow!!

To sum it up, it sounds like the market is wide open for an external device that can do it all with quality results. I've found lots of options with trade offs, but no magic super device as of yet.

Although I still have to check out the link posted by Rharv.

Thanks for the input guys, I thought I must be really out to lunch not being able to find the magic button, maybe it only exists in my wishful thinking.

Rob
Robert - there's really not a big demand for this because soft synths rule the roost in the recording world these days. The computers are way more powerful than necessary to make this a reality.

I'm guessing Roland doesn't sell a whole bunch of those devices.

Another much more expensive option, but is truly a one box solution is to buy one of the workstation keyboards that has the whole audio interface built in, a PC built in with access to all of the soft synths you need, etc.

I haven't recorded the sound of a hardware synthesizer to disk in over 6 or 7 years. No need. I have way better sounds at my fingertips in soft synths for nearly zero financial outlay than my hardware synth; an Ensoniq VFX SD.

Most DAW software works with these very very nicely; with some elbow grease. Less grease than hauling them all over the place and maintaining them. Seriously. ASIO is what makes this a reality.

ASIO can be problematic, but most interfaces and recording software crossed the bridge to functioning ASIO many many moons ago. This isn't to say there aren't issues now and then, but truly working ASIO became part of my stable of tools in the mid 2000's, and I would never, ever want to go back. No way, no how.

Once your brain makes the jump that you don't have to have a dedicated hardware synth, to get synth sounds, you will drink the Kool-Aid and join. It's o.k. to do so.

In fact, it's getting to the point that what you seek is available with an iPad and some very clever interfaces for the iPad. I know Alesis just dropped an announcement a week or so ago. http://www.alesis.com/iodock

See that - no hardware synth and definitely some GM midi synth is available for the iPad is already out there. I haven't looked, I'm just sure that this happened probably long ago. But General Midi is not what you hear with today's songs. You are hearing immense sample playback synths/samplers, dedicated software synths that mimic old-school electromechanical keyboards and synthesizers etc. Guitar amps are very often amp simulation, in the box.

So, while Roland is making it, I doubt there will be many copycats simply because of the dominance of soft synths and the available computing horsepower in today's multi-thread processors.

I realize that I am in the minority here in PG world, but that is simply because most that post here SEEM to still be using MME, because PG products still are dodgy with ASIO.

This is not the case in the rest of DAW software world.

This doesn't mean I don't like hardware synths and keyboards. I really do - I lust for a Nord Stage like you wouldn't believe, or a Roland V-Combo to a lesser extent - but I can't afford it with 4 kids, the mortgage, a minivan with 181,000+ miles on it, etc. However I can crank away some very authentic B3 and Rhodes and Minimoog sounds way better than most dedicated hardware synths and it cost me exactly zero dollars. The VB3 emulation I won in a songwriting contest, the rhodes in a different contest, and the Minimoog sounds have come from the freebie MinimogueVA softsynth. It simply rocks.

Drums, fuhgetaboutit in a hardware box. All the kids are using EZDrummer or Jamstix, etc. on their computers. Many times you don't even know they are programmed drums. Have a listen to Dimitar Nalbantov's stuff for some great progressive rock drum programming on Youtube. Here's a tasty one just to get the feel for what EZDrummer can do in the hands of a talented home-recordist and ridiculously good instrumental rock guitar player. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCbxeO32Nj4&NR=1

Because the computing power of an iPhone or iPad or certainly many laptops currently provide a flexible solution to your 'magic button' you just will not likely see companies clamoring for an all-in-one standalone box.

-Scott
Posted By: toucher Re: Sound card vs midi / audio interface - 09/01/11 07:04 PM
makes sense. I guess I need to educate myself more with softsynths, samples etc. My old yamaha harware piano still sounds like a real piano compared to some of the software, but I must admit to having listend to ony a few, and not willing to lay out big bucks at this stage in life.

Thanks for the detailed info Scott
Posted By: jazzmammal Re: Sound card vs midi / audio interface - 09/01/11 09:15 PM
At lot of this Toucher is based on what you plan to do with this stuff. If you want to treat this like you're in a real studio like Scott and others do then you record and work with each track individually using many different synths or hardware for it. you might spend several hours on one track. Each step along the way could involve a different synth, custom patches, different plugin's for effects etc. You can spend half a day just auditioning patches from say 4 or 5 different soft synths then plug a few of your keyboards or sound modules and try those sounds too. Then spend another half day just messing around with effects both plugins and hardware. Just for one track. Then when you've finished the basic redording of all your tracks you may spend many hours or days massaging everything to finally arrive at a final mix using a completely different set of plugins or outboard hardware just for mixing. That's what they do in a real studio and if you want to get close to that level of sound quality then that's what you have to do as well. This is what I meant by saying 'could be confusing'.

A lot of others on this forum like to keep it simple. They may use one basic GM synth like the VSC or Forte DXi and that's it. Do the song in Biab using one synth, maybe move it over to RB to add a couple of things and burn it to a CD or wav file and done. You could do one song in an hour.

What you intend to do will determine if you need a $500 interface like my 1820M or will a basic Rockfish PCi card for $30 work, and synths, plugins, mixers and all that stuff. On the one hand it's pretty basic and simple but on the other it can get incredibly complex.

Bob
There's also a middle ground - where you use a choice few soft synths to carry the load. That's my routine. I don't have time to fiddle forever - I have a trusty stable of about 6 or 7 softsynths that I use for specific sounds and tasks. I know them well. I'm not doing film scores where I have countless tracks. I'm pretty much a folk/rock/R&B focused composer, and for that, I don't need GM's 128 voices. I play my own guitar and bass and keyboard tracks.

I don't do brass parts. To my ear, to get a non-casio sound for brass requires way more finesse in programming the midi than what I'm willing to invest in to get a realistic sounding part. No harmonicas or reed instruments either. Either the real deal or nothing. I've heard some Ketron stuff that sounds pretty darned good, but I can't take the time to finagle the controllers to get it that close.

So I stick with keys, guitars, drums and outright bonafide synth sounds. I do have to bone up on programming strings - I'm on the hook to do some short film underlayment bed tracks that need strings. A Kontakt sample library is likely in my near future for that stuff.

BTW - I'm not in a real studio. I'm in my basement with all it's warts.

-Scott
And for the KISS process, very soon it will likely be the iPad thing with the Alesis type interface that is the simplest thing to go with.
Posted By: Muzic Trax Re: Sound card vs midi / audio interface - 09/03/11 05:47 PM
Toucher,

The Roland Sonic Cell looks like an awesome piece of gear. It will make Biab sound like a whole new band and program. You won't be limited to just the Real Tracks for making music with that sounds authentic. Some of the best styles in Biab are midi and they need a good sound source to do them justice. The soft synth route doesn't cut it for my taste.

Check with your local music dealers and see if they might have one in stock to demo. Try before I buy has always been my motto when looking for new gear.

I think the Sonic Cell also touts a vocal harmony feature, if I remember correctly?

Trax
Trax,
What soft synths have you tried? Unfortunately, here on pg world mostt folks seem to think that means forte dxi. Fact is, a good portion of tv show and movie soundtracks these days are using soft samplers with samples from vienna or east west. The beauty of the soft synthis that one is not limited to the computing power in a hardware synth. While the roland vsc is a softsynth it is meagre in capability compared.to whaybisnon the market today.
Apologies for all of te fat finger mistakes in my previous post. Typing on a nook color in the dark while trying to keep from squishingnthengnat that is attracted to the backlit screen!
Posted By: Gary Curran Re: Sound card vs midi / audio interface - 09/09/11 05:31 AM
Rob,
It's all about sounds. It always has been, and always will be. Where the sounds are don't matter. If they're outside of your computer, you need to get them into your computer, if they're in the computer, you need to get them out to your speakers.

You need a way to control those sounds. If the sounds are outside of your computer, you may 'control' them by playing a guitar or your piano. If they're inside the computer already, you may need to use something like a keyboard controller, or software like Band In A Box, or Real Band.

So, let's break this down. You've got a song you want to record. Let's say we're going to do a jazz standard as a quartet. We want drums, bass, guitar and piano. We'll use Band In A Box to generate the drums, bass and guitar parts. You've been here long enough to know how BIAB works, and I will assume that you can and have figured out the Real Tracks and Real Drums to make a backing track the way you want it. So, once you get those three tracks exactly the way you want them, you drag and drop them into Real Band. Now, we want to use your Yamaha piano to do your part.

On your song 'Bassics' it does not sound at all like a real piano, so you probably used a soft synth, like Scott was talking about. But, not all soft synths are the same, some sound much better than another, primarily because of the time the engineer put into recording the actual instrument, and how big the sample data is. The sax is also a soft synth and it's easy to tell that.

Let's say that you want to redo this song. You want to use a real piano. We have to find a way to get the piano into the computer. For that, you will need an audio interface, but you'll need a little bit more than that, too. I'm assuming your piano is a true acoustical instrument, and not a digital piano, because if it was a digital piano, that would make things so much easier. With your piano, you'll need at least one, maybe two microphones, if you want a stereo sound. Micing a piano is not even something I'm going to get into here. In addition to the microphones, you'll need a mic pre amp for each one. Mixers are a great place to find mic pre amps! So, get a small 12 channel mixer. The Behringer ones aren't too bad, I still use mine. Now, the output of the mixer will end up going to the input of audio interface. This could be the RealTek sound card in your computer (please don't) or something like the M-Audio 2496, or something really expensive. The 2496 will work just fine, thank you. Next, you'll need something to hear the OUTPUT of the sound card, which usually means a set of monitors. Now, remember, we've dragged the Real Tracks and Real Drums from BIAB over to Real Band, so we have all that great audio already there. There's no need to re-record it. Now all we need to do is get the piano into Real Band. Depending on how your mixer works, you may be able to route the outgoing signal from your audio interface to your headphones without sending it back into the mix, something we don't want to do. In your headphones, you'll hear the tracks already in Real Band, and again, depending on the routing options, you should also be able to hear the piano you're playing at the same time. But, only the piano will get recorded.

So, you'll have one track of audio for the drums, provided by BIAB, another for the bass, another for the guitar, again by BIAB. You can also put in a sax track, too, provided by BIAB. Arm a track for recording, press Record, and the mic'd piano will be recorded to that one track.

When you're finished, turn on the monitors, and play back the entire song, and each instrument should be on it's own track and therefore controllable individually.

Soft Synths

Soft Synths come in a couple of varieties, DXi, VSTi, AUs and RTS (for Pro Tools) Primarily, we'll deal with DXi and VSTi. VSTis are the defacto standard for non-Pro Tools applications. The last time I played with Real Band, it did not do well with them, but I haven't used it in a while, so maybe the later versions have tightened up VSTi integration. The sounds of the DXis and VSTis are stored in your computer, just like the Coyote Forte and Roland VSC, or Roland TTS-1. Some of them actually will generate the sounds on the fly. A good software synth is very difficult to tell from a real instrument. Go to http://www.garritan.com/ and look for the Personal Orchestra 4 link on the right side of the page, and listen to 'Rhapsody in Blue.' This is what a software synth *can* sound like, although it takes some real work.
Unlike something like the Forte, the VSC, or the TTS-1, which are 'multi-timbral' synths, meaning that you can play 16 channels on them at one time, most software synths are single channel instruments. This means that you have to have multiple instances of the synth running for each channel or track you want to use. Since BIAB has not, to my knowledge, supported multiple software synths or MIDI interfaces, you are stuck using a multi-timbral synth. Most times the sound quality falters because of that. But, provided you have the computer horsepower, memory and hard drive space, that isn't really too much of an issue today.
So, let's go back to Bassics and say you want to add a B3 track to it, complete with bass and both manuals. You want a REALLY good B-3 emulation, and since you want to play all three parts, only the guitar and drums from BIAB are going to be playing. You're not going to edit the B3 Real Tracks, so you need an organ synth. You might be able to find a really good soft synth for free, or you might purchase one from a company, like Native Instruments. You can download, for Free, their Kontact 5 sample player, and then for like $120, you can purchase the Vintage Organs sample library. You can even alter the sound in real time just by playing with the drawbars! You will need a keyboard controller to play this, of course.

However, all soft synth sounds will still come out of your audio interface card to your monitor speakers. The nice thing is that in Real Band, you can 'render' them, which means you can create the audio track for them (because they're still MIDI) just by pushing a button, and they will automatically take the MIDI data you've recorded and then by using the computer processor, turn it into audio data. This is one of the biggest reasons why soft synths are so popular. I have ONE keyboard. It cost me $2,800. I could purchase a controller keyboard an a LOT of software synths for that price, but my keyboard gives me features that a soft synth won't, like being an Arranger keyboard. Yes, I can program all my songs into BIAB, but for those times I just want to sit down and play, nothing beats an Arranger keyboard. Plus, I have some very nice sounds on it.

So, with your piano, you could purchase the following to get into really recording good sounds. I assume you already have the latest version of Band In A Box with all Real Drums and Real Tracks.

A mixer, a Behringer UB802. I've had one of these for years, and I still use it:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/behringer-eurorack-ub802-mixer/631238000000000

I couldn't find a 'two set' combo pack, but you can get three mics for $130. They have stands and cables, and you'll only be using two at a time, so you'll have a back up.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/akg-d-9000-with-cable-and-stand-3-pack/486188000000000

Finally, you need something to listen to your mixes with. I have two of the Generation 1 Rokit RP5s, and I just love them. They are priced at 'each', so $300
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio...o-monitor-each.

Of course, you'll need the Audio Interface, and there's nothing better in the price range than the M-Audio 2496, IMHO.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio...701341000000000

Lastly, you'll need some sort of MIDI Controller to control your soft synths in real time. Something like Oxygen 61 will give you a keyboard that not only inputs MIDI data, but can also control software synths, like the Vintage Organ drawbars, in real time.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/keyboards-midi/m-audio-oxygen-61--usb-midi-controller

It's a bit of money to lay out all at once, at least for the hardware, but you can get some really great sounds just by switching to Software Synths, recording your acoustic piano, and using Real Drums and Real Tracks.

Hope this doesn't confuse you any.

Gary
Posted By: Shastastan Re: Sound card vs midi / audio interface - 09/10/11 02:17 AM
Hi Gary. Great Post! Nice to see you're still hanging out here. I've put all of the valuable things you told me about to good use. Thanks heaps!

Stan
FYI - real B3 sounds can be had for much less than $120. VB3 is the answer, http://www.genuinesoundware.com/?a=showproduct&b=24

This is like the B4, in that it is a physical emulation of the circuitry of the B3. Listen to the demos.

-Scott
Posted By: Gary Curran Re: Sound card vs midi / audio interface - 09/10/11 02:58 AM
Stan,
Been a while since I've been here, not sure that I'll be back as much as I used to be, my 'new' hobby takes much of my time and money. If anyone ever tells you shooting .22LRs is cheap and inexpensive, tell them to come talk to me! It IS addictive, though.

I don't remember if we can stick images in these posts, I'm pretty sure we can, I just have to remember how to do it.

If this works, this is a picture of my mom shooting one of my new addictions.

She didn't do too badly, either, for an 80 year old who's never shot aperture sights at 25 yards.

This is where my time is spent instead of in front of my keyboard or computer making music.

Gary
Posted By: Gary Curran Re: Sound card vs midi / audio interface - 09/10/11 02:59 AM
Hiya Scott,
It's been a while since I've been looking at Soft Synths, so excuse me for being out of the loop a little bit.

Gary
Posted By: Mac Re: Sound card vs midi / audio interface - 09/10/11 11:35 AM
She's grouping well.

25 yards is combat *handgun* range.

Good to start someone out at 25, but as soon as possible, move targets downrange, the rifle should be doing those kind of groups at the 50 or 100yd mark.

Ah, the smell o' cordite in the morning.

Enjoy.

--Mac
Posted By: Gary Curran Re: Sound card vs midi / audio interface - 09/10/11 04:48 PM
Mac,
Remember, she's 79 years old, she'll be 80 in December. She can barely see the targets.

I did set up some targets at 50 yards, and they weren't nearly as tight, they were all in the 9/10 rings.

With *HER* rifle, however, she'll group dime sized five round groups at 50 yards, and while not all the time, has done silver dollar sixed groups at 100 yards. She was shooting 4" groups at 200 yards the other day, as well. SHe has a 20 power Nikon scope on her CZ Lux.

Mom's been shooting for about 4 years now, my step father is teaching her. She has a Browning Buckmark with a red dot, a Sig Mosquito, her Ruger Single Six (which she absolutely loves) and a Sig P229. She knows how to use all of them.

Gary
Posted By: Mac Re: Sound card vs midi / audio interface - 09/10/11 06:01 PM
That's great, Gary.

Just keep on trying to move those targets back every now and again.

--Mac
Gary - just to admit my ignorance, the Native Instruments B4 is no longer for sale - seems Native Instruments gave up on it a couple years ago and now push samples only. I'm guessing it was too expensive to hire the programmers for the physical modeling synthesis.
Posted By: Gary Curran Re: Sound card vs midi / audio interface - 09/11/11 04:24 AM
Quote:

Gary - just to admit my ignorance, the Native Instruments B4 is no longer for sale - seems Native Instruments gave up on it a couple years ago and now push samples only. I'm guessing it was too expensive to hire the programmers for the physical modeling synthesis.

Scott,
Quite possible. I thought that it got incorporated into the Vintage Organs collection, and was still real time. Looks more like my ignorance, and not yours.

I never used it anyway, but I do like the link you posted earlier. If I was working in Soft Synths I would definitely be interested in some of the stuff on their page.

Gary
Posted By: Mac Re: Sound card vs midi / audio interface - 09/11/11 01:53 PM
AFAIC, the B4II was done and complete. There really wasn't *ANYTHING* to add to that program in order to emulate the tonewheel organs. Never understood why they discontinued it, perhaps the switch to new Windows Operating systems was the real reason, don't know.

As already noted in thie thread, there are now a lot of good options for tonewheel organ/rotating speaker simulators, some are even freeware/shareware now.

--Mac
Posted By: MarioD Re: Sound card vs midi / audio interface - 09/11/11 02:37 PM
Quote:

AFAIC, the B4II was done and complete. There really wasn't *ANYTHING* to add to that program in order to emulate the tonewheel organs. Never understood why they discontinued it, perhaps the switch to new Windows Operating systems was the real reason, don't know.

As already noted in thie thread, there are now a lot of good options for tonewheel organ/rotating speaker simulators, some are even freeware/shareware now.

--Mac

FWIW, if one is running 64 bit DAW one could use a bridge to run B4II. Korg is not updating their M1 or WaveStation softsynths as well as their MDE effects because they work using bridges in 64 bit machines. I use Jbridge and all of the above run perfectly in Sonar X1C.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Sound card vs midi / audio interface - 09/11/11 04:41 PM
Quote:

Remember, she's 79 years old, she'll be 80 in December. She can barely see the targets.

Is shooting like that HOW she got to be 79?
Posted By: Gary Curran Re: Sound card vs midi / audio interface - 09/11/11 10:21 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Is shooting like that HOW she got to be 79?

Actually, Eddie, it probably is. ROFLMAO

Mom has always been a 'take no prisoners' type of person, but she's always there for you if you need her. She refuses to act her age, and plans on living to 114.

Gary
© PG Music Forums