PG Music Home
Posted By: seeker SONAR X1 Essentials, Should I purchase ? - 10/28/11 10:24 PM
I currently own 2011.5+pak and RB of course, along with Power tracks 2011.
Exceedingly happy with all of the software and anxiously waiting for Christmas.

Have Cubase LE-5, which to me was complex beyond the amount of time
wanted to spend to learn it. Seemed overly complex. PG has spoiled me.

Cakewalk has a $69 special with few extra free goodies-Title of post.

Have a lot more to learn about PG products, but.

Is this Special offer something that would substantially enhance my toolbox ?

For recording, mastering(yet to handle well) and creating music.

Again not in lieu of PG stuff, but to compliment it.

Some of you folks already own Sonar, so would appreciate your
guidance, as always.

Thank you,

Seeker
Sonar is a great package, but my question is what do you need that RB does not do?

Are you missing some feature, or process? If you are at the limit with RB, maybe, but if you have not tapped all that RB can do, then wait and see.

Mastering is a deep subject, and can be done in just about any DAW if you have the knowledge, skills and tools. RB can do it, just as Sonar can, but you have to know what and how. Just buying Sonar will not give you or I that skill set. Do a lot of research, and see what it is you think you need, and discuss it here.
Posted By: MarioD Re: SONAR X1 Essentials, Should I purchase ? - 10/29/11 01:00 PM
Hi Seeker, (a possible Terry Goodfind fan?)

The only reason you would need to upgrade to Sonar X1 Essentials would be if you have some time/tempo based VST or VSTis as RB can not handle them. Essentials is only 32 bit so you would not gain anything ram wise, this is of course assuming you are running a 64 bit OS. IMHO eventually every DAW will be 64 bit and that’s a good thing. Ram is beautiful!

My advice would be to pick a DAW that currently suits your needs, that maybe RB don’t know, and learn it inside and out. Constantly jumping from one DAW to another can get very frustrating.

PS- I have been using Cakewalk DAWs for years and currently am running 64 bit SonarX1 Studio. I hope to upgrade to Producer soon as I used Sonar 5 Producer for 6 years without upgrading and I hope to do that with Producer.
Posted By: seeker Re: SONAR X1 Essentials, Should I purchase ? - 10/29/11 02:18 PM
RobH, MarioD,

Very good advice. I already have some very nice plugins for RB
and have not fully learned about them. Thanks to all you folks.

RB...tapped out, not hardly, your right on having too much in front of me.
Ownership or possession of many things does not make an expert.
Not trying to be expert, just want to have decent knowledge.
Am extremely happy with the BIAB, RB, PT tools and the really "free" pro type
plugins. Also my PSR 3000 is a joy to operate with all these tools.

Not missing any meals, but try to watch where the $$$ go. Am planning on
PG upgrades around Christmas, so will stick to those plans.

Most of you folks have been on this journey for quite awhile.

I certainly appreciate your guidance.

Thank you,

Seeker
Seeker,

I find that when I am in "tool accumulation mode" I don't get anything else done but buying stuff.

Once I settle on the tools I'm going to learn and get down to the business of learning them, simplicity is golden. Too many options = brain freeze.

After reading your posts in this thread, you strike me as a guy who is already well-positioned to "grow into the clothes you've got "

The time to buy new stuff is when you've maxed out your possibilities on the old stuff. Speaking for myself, each new version of BIAB keeps me learning longer than the upgrade cycle. I'm more productive focusing my limited play time on one package rather than dividing it between many.

YMMV
© PG Music Forums