PG Music Home
Posted By: John Conley Flute-Mic - 11/23/11 02:03 AM
I have a Bose Model 1 with a bass module and tonematch.

I have an audix om5 mic going through a voicelive which is fed via midi from the computer through the Ketron Sd2.

I can have my wife play the flute through the conventional mic.

I can buy an audix adx10-flp or equiv.

I want an airy flute sound, wispy or distant, reverb like off the hills etc.

Suggestions?
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Flute-Mic - 11/23/11 03:33 AM
John, head ye over to get a copy of ariesverb for the reverb. Get this free one and use preset one.

http://www.ariescode.com/srv.php?t=downl...mp;a=7177659937

Can't speak to the mic - only used AudioTechnica lectern mics repurposed for instruments to good effect. Don't know the model.

-Scott
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Flute-Mic - 11/23/11 04:01 AM
John, I've tried a bunch of things with my flute, including an Audix that has a ring clip and mounts a small condenser near the mouthpiece; also another one that mounted in place of the headjoint cork. I did not care for the tone of either, and they gave too much key click noise.

In case it is of any use, what I have now is a Rode S1, which is what they call their stage mic. It's hyper-cardioid, so it's highly directional and resists feedback (which, with a Bose stick, could be a problem). This mic goes into my TC Electronics Voice Live Touch, which has phantom power and has a volume control. I can set any kind of reverb, delay, octaves, even distortion and have six presets ready to go. Then there is the Talk button, for announcing with no effects. This has been my setup for about a year, and it's superb.
Posted By: John Conley Re: Flute-Mic - 11/23/11 10:24 PM
Thanks Matt, I'll have a look at that setup. I'm not yet anywhere yet on what I'm maybe doing, but I'm leaning towards a Celtic / Hebredian journey using my photography behind us using a projector, some lighting and special effects.

All in compensation for the off and on again voice. Since the original post, my docs are kicking me out of the cancer program more or less with just the pain mgmt. department seeing me once a month.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Flute-Mic - 11/23/11 10:38 PM
Sounds interesting, John. Hope my info helps you.
Posted By: silvertones Re: Flute-Mic - 11/23/11 10:44 PM
Quote:

Since the original post, my docs are kicking me out of the cancer program more or less with just the pain mgmt. department seeing me once a month.

John,
I don't know quite how to take this. Is this good news or bad news? I do hope it's good news!
Posted By: Muzic Trax Re: Flute-Mic - 11/23/11 11:01 PM
John,

Do you have a room with natural reverb there you could use? Garage, bathroom etc . . . You'll need a portable recorder too. Mic the room in approximation to the Flute.

Or,

Use a completely dead room and use an artificial reverb post edit, but you'll need a VERY dry signal on the Flute capture during recording.

Did you get those "Blue Cat Audio" plug ins PG pointed us too a loooooong time ago? They work very well with Biab. I use the Chorus one from them when I need to fatten up an electric piano or bass. I'm sure it will also fatten up the Flute as well. A little dab will do ya.

Trax
Posted By: John Conley Re: Flute-Mic - 11/24/11 02:02 AM
John, thanks.

The two docs did a lot a laughing, but they told me that there is no indication from all the scans that any further cancer exists at this time. We all know that dance. I will take what I can get.

The pain is from chemo damage. Burning fire on my legs and feet, feet that don't feel right at all, no feeling in my knee joints but at least the fire end there. My hands don't hurt much but I can butter finger anything from a light bulb to the prime rib roast we are having for supper that is now on the floor. I just laugh, what else can you do?

Fun is a bit tough, I sure could use without my brain taking the high A and E (the second from the top on a piano) and making them so loud I can't hear anything else at times.

So I am hanging around to be a future annoyance for the immediate future.
© PG Music Forums