PG Music Home
Posted By: critter Midi controller - 01/02/12 07:41 AM
Instead of using the old Korg O1w-fd I am thinking of a midi controller, anyone have an idea what to get around the $100.00 range, have been looking at M-audio stuff. Just need the basic controller for inputting Garritan JABB stuff. Need one that works with windows 7. Also one that doesn't have problems loading with Biab etc. Thanks
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Midi controller - 01/02/12 11:42 AM
I'd check Craig's list first to see what's available. There seems to be an endless supply of people who needed the best instrument a year ago, but now they'd rather have a fraction of its value in cash.
Posted By: MountainSide Re: Midi controller - 01/02/12 01:36 PM
Critter, why would you not want to use the Korg as a controller? Its got velocity, after-touch, its capable of SysEx, local on and off, can support up to 16 channels, bank changes and has midi in/out and through. Coupled with BIAB / RT or another DAW you should be all set. I work with Garritan GPO and JABB, using a Yamaha DX7 II, and it controls everything just fine. What specifically are you trying to do?
Posted By: critter Re: Midi controller - 01/03/12 05:00 AM
First, it would be a long usb run, at least 15ft. and I've read that usb cords should be no more than 5ft.
Second, I have to get an midi to usb cable, another usb cable and junction to conect the two, and I just figured it would be cheaper just to get a midi controller I can put right in front of the monitor on my desk. The way things are arranged in my music room there is no way to rearrange anything. I figure it would be cheaper and more effective to spend $100.00 to just get the controller.
Posted By: Mac Re: Midi controller - 01/03/12 12:53 PM
Quote:

First, it would be a long usb run, at least 15ft. and I've read that usb cords should be no more than 5ft.

I've got a 12 foot USB cord for one of my keyboatds, never been a problem. Kind of difficult to find a USB cord that long, though.

But if you consider that you can use standard MIDI cables to go from a USB adaptor to a keyboard, then the MIDI cables can be the longer part of the necessary run. I've run standard MIDI cables from the stage all the way back to the sound booth in some rather large venues, not a problem.

--Mac
Posted By: MountainSide Re: Midi controller - 01/03/12 01:26 PM
Critter, I'm running a 15 foot USB cable with no problems. Mac is right though, I would recommend that you find it on-line as the local Radio Shack is less likely to have one that long. I still think that you would save money going USB and, more importantly, have a much better system by using the more capable Korg rather than a $100 controller.
Posted By: critter Re: Midi controller - 01/04/12 04:53 AM
Well I guess I will use the old beast, I have tons of midi cables around two for sure are long enough at least 20ft. which I used before with my midi patch bay. I will try and find a midi to usb connecter and update progress in the future. Thanks
Posted By: Gary Curran Re: Midi controller - 01/04/12 11:18 PM
Critter,
I can't answer your original question, but I can add something about the 'why' part of it. I have a couple of multi-thousand dollar keyboards, and an 88 key weighted Yamaha stage piano, and I'm now looking for a small 49 or 61 key controller!

Why?

Because although my main keyboard is not more than 8' away from me, when I sit at it, the computer is behind me, and it's a PITA to turn around and see everything on the screens, as well as reaching for stuff.

So, a small controller can be put on my computer table, or right in front of it, and I can enter melodies and stuff from there. So, yeah, I understand your need.

Gary
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: Midi controller - 01/05/12 04:22 AM
I've used two 25' usb cables in series with a coupler for an audio recording system that used USB 1.1 spec, with zero issues.

One thing to be mindful of: Key feel of cheap controllers feels pretty darned cheap. If that is not of concern to you then have at it.

I have an M-Audio Oxygen 49 that I paid just over $100 for it. Pretty crummy. I bought it on-line. Had I auditioned it, I would have saved my money.

If you must go cheap, then shop Craigslist for used Casio and Yamaha arranger keyboards with USB midi. There are loads of them in the 100$ range in most major cities. Make sure that they have velocity sensitivity. The Craigslist postings almost read like they are from a standard script. "I bought this keyboard to learn piano, but I just don't use it anymore." Make sure to compare price against new models with similar features.
© PG Music Forums