PG Music Home
Posted By: John Conley Midi 2012 - 01/07/12 08:15 PM
So in the interest of knowing, jump in with your 2Cents worth or pence or .1 of a euro even.

BUT here's the rub:

The MIDI guys are having an official meeting at NAMM winter 2012 to decide something like the replacement for MIDI.

What is happening? Are there exciting new midi products?

Does anyone actually have inside information that goes beyond speculation?

Will Midi work on USB3 and the next apple thing which is MEGA I/O like 10gigbytes per second?

Will the promised MIDI over ethernet ever take off?

Are keyboard manufacturers cutting corners by eliminating 5 pin midi connectors and using usb 1 technology which is wonky? (Not my words, but I read that)

This is not about RealTracks/Drums. PRETEND those do not exist.

Should I develop that Midi Tuba? Is someone making a 5 pin connector for the Ipad yet? Enquiring minds must know.
Posted By: MitchC Re: Midi 2012 - 01/07/12 08:21 PM
I like the MIDI Tuba idea for sure !
Posted By: DrDUBose Re: Midi 2012 - 01/07/12 08:24 PM
Just hope it can be set up to be backwards compatible...
Posted By: KeithS Re: Midi 2012 - 01/08/12 02:48 AM
Development of a version of MIDI for new products which is fully backward compatible is now under discussion in the MMA. First announced as "HD-MIDI" in 2005and tentatively called "HD Protocol" or "High-Definition Protocol" since 2008, this new standard would support modern high-speed transports and allow device discovery and enumeration, provide greater range and/or resolution in data values, increase the number of Channels and Controllers, support entirely new kinds of events, such as Direct Pitch in the Note message and a Note Update message, and at the same time decrease the complexity of messages. Various transports have been proposed for use for the HD-Protocol physical layer, including calls for Ethernet-based protocols such as IEEE AVB and ACN to be used as the sole or primary transport in show control environments. As of January 2012, a draft of the HD Protocol and an UDP-based transport is being reviewed by MMA's High-Definition Protocol Working Group (HDWG), which includes representatives from all sizes and types of companies; the final specification should be completed later in 2012.
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: Midi 2012 - 01/08/12 03:47 AM
I thought it was going to be an expansion/extension of MIDI as we know it now, to make it 32 channels, etc....
Posted By: MarioD Re: Midi 2012 - 01/08/12 02:51 PM
Quote:

I like the MIDI Tuba idea for sure !

Me too.

Hey John maybe you could do a remake of Martin Mull’s “Dueling Tubas”!
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Midi 2012 - 01/08/12 02:55 PM
Keith,
where do you find information like this?
Posted By: rharv Re: Midi 2012 - 01/08/12 03:13 PM
MIDI.org is one place ..
http://www.midi.org/aboutus/news/2010pr.php
Posted By: Rob Helms Re: Midi 2012 - 01/08/12 04:05 PM
As usual, guess who is to blame for all this! ...
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: Midi 2012 - 01/08/12 07:22 PM
Quote:

MIDI.org is one place ..
http://www.midi.org/aboutus/news/2010pr.php

thanks!
I like the plans to include video control! Eventually I'd like to do that
Posted By: KeithS Re: Midi 2012 - 01/09/12 01:54 PM
Quote:

Keith,
where do you find information like this?

Wikipedia after I googled the info in the OP
© PG Music Forums