PG Music Home
Posted By: seeker File houskeeping for BIAB and RB - 01/08/12 05:18 AM
I have a folder 2012 Songs for my BIAB Wav files(separate tracks for each song also).
There is currently 4.3 gig in that folder.

Am begining to move into the RB part of the ballgame.
The Raw RB.seq files are/will range from 200meg to 300+ meg.

Have 150 gig left on my HD, but can see right now wont take
long to Eat that up.

How do you folks do your file housekeeping.

Would think the .MGU files should be kept.
For future work how far should this be carried out?

I'm not a studio working for folks, only me, but like
reference files.

Thank you.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: File houskeeping for BIAB and RB - 01/08/12 05:36 AM
The .MGU files are probably the smallest music files you have, and you need them to reconstruct a song if all else is lost. I consider them to be my most valuable files, and they are backed up all over the place (and in some other places).

If I delete one Bluegrass Banjo (for example) from the RealTracks, I would have enough space to store all the BIAB songs I could ever write.
Posted By: seeker Re: File houskeeping for BIAB and RB - 01/08/12 06:05 AM
Matt,

Point well taken, didn't think of it that way.

Have done a little Video work in the past, it eats hard drives.
This music not quite as bad, but could see getting backed into a corner.

Again thank you.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: File houskeeping for BIAB and RB - 01/08/12 01:11 PM
Hard drives have gotten very inexpensive, so I just added a terabyte drive for storing all my data. Most programs automatically load to C:\program files\, so I leave drive C for programs and the operating system. It's the project directories that really start to grow... especially with RB

I also use the USB drives from previous versions for backing up projects.
Posted By: rharv Re: File houskeeping for BIAB and RB - 01/08/12 02:47 PM
Like Pat, I use external drives often to keep projects safe.
I also have 6 hard drives in the music system now so I'm hoping I'll have plenty of space for a long time to come.
I found a deal where I got 4 - 500gig SATA drives for $200. Not bad for a couple of terrabytes of fast drive space.

I also run only OS and programs from C:\ (IDE drive) and everything else is stored on other drives.
I use one drive for the temp audio stream in RB, another for song storage, another for backups (including the BB HDD and all RTs), and another for sharing (backups for other systems in the house). That leaves the one other IDE drive that holds the VST plugins and older seq files that have already been backed up externally.
I have almost three terrabytes onboard and a small stack of other drives on the desk.
I value my data.
Posted By: seeker Re: File houskeeping for BIAB and RB - 01/08/12 04:02 PM
Pat,

Yes they "Were" inexpensive, but with the drive shortage the prices have jumped.
But still in the ballpark for purchase.

I have a "bag full" of misc USB's will clean up one of them and backup my MGU files
there. Good tip.

rharv,

I have 3 USB drives 2nd PC on the network and also sometimes a third PC laptop
on the net.

I currently use them all for some backups.

Dont have the capacity you have tho.

I will look into getting another external specifically for backup of the PG music
goodies.

No meals missed, but kinda short of "mad" money for a little while after MY
presents to myself and then others over the holidays.

Thanks folks.
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: File houskeeping for BIAB and RB - 01/08/12 06:58 PM
I've found that just one of the USB drives from a previous BIAB distribution can hold a LOT of project files! An added benefit is, if you decide to gig with your notebook, the drive is portable enough to take all your finished products to the gig without having to copy them onto the notebook's hard drive. That in itself was my original reason for storing them on a small portable drive. The fact that it also freed up space on my computer's drive was a bonus.
Posted By: Sundance Re: File houskeeping for BIAB and RB - 01/08/12 07:07 PM
Pat that is a good idea. Do you delete - erase the old files first? I know that is a dumb question but I've never done it.....I'd like to use one of my old usb drives.

Josie
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: File houskeeping for BIAB and RB - 01/08/12 07:19 PM
Quote:

Pat that is a good idea. Do you delete - erase the old files first? I know that is a dumb question but I've never done it.....I'd like to use one of my old usb drives.

Josie

yep, after I had accumulated about 3 drives in the closet, I figured I wasn't going to back up my new version onto them .. so I picked the oldest one and deleted everything on it, and started using it as my project drive.

and if it gets full... I HAVE MORE!

(and I'll probably get even more before I fill up the ones I've already got)
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: File houskeeping for BIAB and RB - 01/08/12 07:24 PM
I have a terrabyte in the box and a 2 terrabyte external, but once you know you won't suddenly have the urge to revert to a 3 revision old BIAB, sure, format the thing and recycle it.
© PG Music Forums