PG Music Home
Posted By: Mick Emery Focusrite VRM Box - 02/03/12 08:10 PM
Has anyone used this for referencing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-u_7DWP8Ng&feature=uploademail
Posted By: MitchC Re: Focusrite VRM Box - 02/03/12 09:18 PM
First I'm hearing about this. Sounds interesting ! Curious about the hook-up and compatibility with various interfaces etc.

Another review / demo of the VRM:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSXImtMhIWY

...for those looking for price, Amazon has it for 82.98:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/cart/view-upsel...43SQXEUU9FA%2C1

Posted By: 90 dB Re: Focusrite VRM Box - 02/03/12 09:29 PM
That really looks interesting. Thanks for the heads-up.

Bob
Posted By: MitchC Re: Focusrite VRM Box - 02/03/12 09:48 PM
What the heck...for a guy who mixes exclusively with phones, for $83 and free returns, I'm in ! Thanks for pointing out this unit !
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Focusrite VRM Box - 02/03/12 10:28 PM
I have it. It does work as advertised; there is a considerable difference in the various models provided. For someone who must mix using headphones, this would be very helpful.
Posted By: MitchC Re: Focusrite VRM Box - 02/03/12 10:38 PM
Good to know Matt. Thanks for the confirmation !

So where does it hook up ? I have a Tascam US-144mkII (has S/PDIF in/out). Would I go spdif out of the Tascam to the in of the VRM ? Does the VRM also need power from a USB port.. Headphones into the VRM... can still use rca outs of the Tascam to my Logitech speaker system ?

I'll find out soon enough but would be good to know I'll be able to use it with my current set-up.
Posted By: PRearden Re: Focusrite VRM Box - 02/03/12 10:46 PM
Please.

Your actual environment is going to color your sound even if you are listening through this box. The dude in the video even admits that your mileage may vary depending on the quality of phones you use.

This is just eq folks. Speaker modeling is not exactly new tech.

There is no way your 500$ laptop and an 60$ pair of phones is going to sound like a professional studio.... even if you add an 80$ box to the mix.
Posted By: MitchC Re: Focusrite VRM Box - 02/03/12 10:50 PM
Noted. But please... I'll trust Matt's opinion on this if you don't mind.

Sony MDR-7520's here BTW.
Posted By: PRearden Re: Focusrite VRM Box - 02/03/12 11:13 PM
Quote:

Good to know Matt. Thanks for the confirmation !

So where does it hook up ? I have a Tascam US-144mkII (has S/PDIF in/out). Would I go spdif out of the Tascam to the in of the VRM ? Does the VRM also need power from a USB port.. Headphones into the VRM... can still use rca outs of the Tascam to my Logitech speaker system ?

It plugs into a USB port and acts as a separate out from your 'puter. It will likely sound worlds better than ur Tascam... they don't exactly build high-end equipment.

Here is a link to the Owner's Manual

http://www.tufts.edu/programs/mma/mrap/VRM%20Box-User%20Guide.pdf
Posted By: dcuny Re: Focusrite VRM Box - 02/03/12 11:35 PM
It looks interesting. But it doesn't simulate the most critical listening environment: my car.
Posted By: Mick Emery Re: Focusrite VRM Box - 02/04/12 12:30 AM
I don't know that I would necessarily mix with it...but to reference the mix under different simulated conditions, things might "pop out" that needed to be fixed. (Rather than making a CD, going to my car, then to my home stereo etc.)
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Focusrite VRM Box - 02/04/12 01:15 AM
PReardon is correct about the hookup.

Mick has the right idea about using this. I would never recommend someone use only headphones for mixing. However, for checking a mix, headphones are a necessity (particularly for the stereo imaging) and one of the benefits of this equipment is the ability to try different approximations of monitors. Of course it isn't going to replace the real thing, but that doesn't mean it can't be useful. And we are talking about a comparison to Logitech computer speakers, not studio monitors, unless I missed some detail.

I like David's point, since one must always test a mix in the car, too. Listen to a bass solo disappear, for example. No monitor or headphone can simulate that.

The knock on some Tascam equipment may be justified, and I'm no fan of their customer service, but there is nothing low end about my Tascam FW-1884.
Posted By: MitchC Re: Focusrite VRM Box - 02/04/12 01:35 AM
I look at this piece of gear like any other... it's just a tool. It has a certain function that in my environment will be a plus. Different speaker models to run a mix through. Some models will reveal what other's don't. An advantage I don't currently have.

Gave up my prized Dynaudio speakers when I dissolved the home studio, so now it's more a 'serious enthusiast' approach vs pro quality production gear.

As for interfaces, I had the M-Audio Fast Track, FT Pro and both, while OK, caused more than enough crashes, access violations etc with BIAB / RealBand. While on a support call with PG Music, they mentioned having great results with the Tascam. Got the US-144mkII and it's been stable as a rock, and the sound quality is very nice. Also have the Focusrite Saffire 6 which has fairly good mic pres for a low cost unit, and overall good quality.

Had to get a USB Hub though as I'm all filled up.

Looking forward to getting the VRM. Will report on it when it arrives and I've had time to play with it awhile.
Posted By: PRearden Re: Focusrite VRM Box - 02/04/12 02:04 AM
Quote:

The knock on some Tascam equipment may be justified, and I'm no fan of their customer service, but there is nothing low end about my Tascam FW-1884.

The "knock" was from experience. I own the Tascam US-144 <the older silver version>. I use it for "field" recordings. As I remember, several here use this unit -- it was cheap. It produces recordings I would classify as good <I've even captured some stuff that I'd say was of excellent quality <and with a cheapo MXL mic>>.

However, the unit sucks for monitoring as it introduces a buzz. I returned two to B&H before deciding it was just a design flaw and I'd live with it -- I didn't buy it to monitor. Also, the headphone amp is VERY sub-standard -- even cranked all the way up it is difficult to hear in moderately loud environs like between sets.

The Focusrite is bound to be much better for reference monitoring and perhaps even mixing than the US-144.
Posted By: MitchC Re: Focusrite VRM Box - 02/04/12 02:08 AM
My US-144mkII has no buzz whatsoever. And the ASIO drivers allow BIAB / RealBand, Windows Media Player all open at the same time...and no crashes ! Unlike any other low cost interface I've owned.
Posted By: PRearden Re: Focusrite VRM Box - 02/04/12 02:18 AM
perhaps the mkii fixed original's monitoring flaw... as opposed to being purely cosmetic. How's the phones amp on the mkii box?
Posted By: MitchC Re: Focusrite VRM Box - 02/04/12 02:23 AM
I don't use it for phone monitoring. Run the output to my Logitech 2.1 THX system and monitor through it. No complaints.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Focusrite VRM Box - 02/04/12 03:44 AM
I recall that Tascam would not support the original US-144 with drivers for Windows 7. Maybe they had a good reason for that? I think there are several on the forum using the mkII successfully.

Mitch, let us know if you find the VRM Box useful.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Focusrite VRM Box - 02/09/12 04:17 AM
So has anybody here actually tried this VRM yet?

Josie
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Focusrite VRM Box - 02/09/12 05:00 AM
Post #5, above.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Focusrite VRM Box - 02/09/12 06:30 AM
Matt,

I'm sorry I didn't read carefully enough....duh. I have a few questions if you don't mind...

Does it use a lot of cpu? ram?

Any specific practical hassles dislikes when using it???

Have you tried it with different headphones?

Thank you so much.

Josie
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Focusrite VRM Box - 02/09/12 06:48 AM
No, no, no and yes. The emulations made more of a difference in sound than my different headphones. However, I choose from headphones that do not color the sound as much as others might.
Posted By: MitchC Re: Focusrite VRM Box - 02/09/12 03:09 PM
Mine arrived. Tried all day yesterday to get it to work...with / without the Tascam... NO sound was ever passed to the unit/drivers. Reinstalled drivers etc.... nada. It's going back today.
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Focusrite VRM Box - 02/10/12 01:17 AM
Josie, some better answers to your questions from the Focusrite FAQ:

Which headphones was VRM designed to work with?

We used the Sennheiser HD 280/HD 650, Beyerdynamic DT 100, Beyerdynamic 770 and the PROline 650s to test VRM with, though during development the concept was tested on a wide variety of headphones of different designs (e.g. open and closed) and of varying cost and quality.
Obviously the better the headphones in terms of frequency response, the more the individual speaker's qualities will be discernible. However, the VRM system was not designed with one specific model of headphones in mind.

When considering headphone impedance, the general principle is that higher impedance headphones typically have a flatter frequency response, however they require more power from the headphone amplifier to provide the same output level as headphones with a lower impedance. Having said this, the VRM Box's headphone amplifier should be powerful enough to drive higher impedance headphones at a high enough level for most purposes.
2011-03-24 Views: 2721

How does the VRM Box work with my existing audio interface?

1. Using the USB cable provided, connect the VRM Box to the USB port of your computer
2. Connect the S/PDIF output on your audio interface into the VRM Box S/PDIF input
3. In your audio interface’s control panel, ensure that audio is sent to the S/PDIF output of your audio interface
4. With the volume control turned down, connect your headphones to VRM Box
5. Open the VRM software, check the icon in the bottom right corner of the VRM software that the VRM Box has locked to the S/PDIF signal
6. Start playing audio from your DAW software or any media player
7. Turn up the volume control on the VRM Box until you have the required level in your headphones
2011-01-12 Views: 4598

What latency is added to the audio by VRM processing?

The VRM Box processing takes place at a driver level on your computer. This process incurs a 64 sample latency (about 1ms). The VRM processing also uses a certain amount of CPU resources.
The VRM Box driver will also add additional latency. This latency will depend on how you use the VRM Box:

When using the VRM Box as your audio interface in your DAW, the latency you experience will be dependant on the audio buffer size you set in your DAW, and in most DAWs the actual latency figure is displayed in the preferences. If the audio buffer size is set to less than 64 samples, then the VRM processing does not have enough time to do the processing and no audio will pass. VRM CPU requirements are much higher when the audio buffer size is set too low, so it is recommended that a buffer size of 512 samples (Mac) or 10ms (Windows) should give the best starting point.

When using the S/PDIF input (receiving audio from another audio interface), the latency figure will be dependant on the audio buffer size you set in your DAW for that interface, PLUS additional latency from the VRM Box. In this case, there will be latency incurred from the transfer of S/PDIF audio sent from the VRM Box via USB using the VRM audio driver, through the VRM processing, then back to the VRM Box. The total round trip latency is likely to be in the region of 20ms (depending on computer specs)
2011-01-12 Views: 2639

Does the VRM box have DSP or does it use my host processor?

The VRM box uses the processing power of your host CPU to process the VRM. To see how much of your CPU the the VRM Daemon is using, you should check the 'Activity Monitor' on your computer.
2011-01-12 Views: 2227
Posted By: PRearden Re: Focusrite VRM Box - 02/10/12 01:21 AM
Quote:

Mine arrived. Tried all day yesterday to get it to work...with / without the Tascam... NO sound was ever passed to the unit/drivers. Reinstalled drivers etc.... nada. It's going back today.

That sucks! Too bad... thanks for the update.
Posted By: Sundance Re: Focusrite VRM Box - 02/10/12 01:31 AM
Thanks Matt. I went to their site the other day. Then did some googling too. That's why I was asking you for your personal experience with it.

Mitch,

Are you getting a replacement? That's really sad it didn't work at all.

Josie
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: Focusrite VRM Box - 02/10/12 01:31 AM
Well, interestingly, I'm having trouble, too.

I ran it on a Windows 7 Home 32-bit machine and it was fine. Now, in response to the renewed interest by this thread, I moved it to my production machine that runs on Windows 7 Pro 64-bit, and it's not working. Hmmm.
Posted By: MitchC Re: Focusrite VRM Box - 02/10/12 01:42 AM
Yep Win 7 64 bit here... not a peep outta the thing...and it wreaked havoc with my mouse also.

NO replacement...

Now looking into 5" monitors w/ sub. My mixes are turning out fine using the new Sony MDR-7520 phones... so I'll bite the bullet and look at monitors... Dynaudio would be my 1st choice as I've had them and know their sound.
Posted By: Steve Young Re: Focusrite VRM Box - 02/10/12 06:58 AM
I have the VRM for a few months now. But I just started using it. I just posted a song in the showcase that I mixed with it - All Alone. I did most of the mix with it, and gave a final listen on my near field monitors with only a few minor adjustments required.

I really like the VRM. It is not "just an eq". Of course, I would not recommend not using speakers, but for late night mixing, this is a godsend. What I try to do is get the mix to sound as good as possible on all the emulated speakers in the VRM. Takes a little doing.

I don't know what the problem is with yours, Mitch. Hopefully Focusrite will get it sorted out for you. They make good stuff. I've been using the Saffire 6 USB for a couple years now.
Posted By: MitchC Re: Focusrite VRM Box - 02/10/12 02:46 PM
Steve are you using yours with a Windows 7 x 64bit PC ? I was really looking forward to it but it just did not work.
Posted By: Steve Young Re: Focusrite VRM Box - 02/10/12 04:53 PM
Mitch, I have a Macbook that is Bootcamped. I use Mac OS X Lion, DAW is Logic Pro for actual recording. For BIAB, I run Bootcamp drive, Windows 7 Pro x32bit PC. No problems with either.

What DAW are you using? If you have the Audio Buffer set too low, that could be the cause for no sound passing through the VRM.
Posted By: Steve Young Re: Focusrite VRM Box - 02/11/12 10:06 PM
Mitch,

I just noticed that you said the VRM caused problems with your mouse. I overlooked that earlier. Obviously you had faulty device or usb cable or something that caused a conflict. Sorry you couldn't get it to work! BTW, I'm looking forward to hearing more music from you!

Steve
Posted By: MitchC Re: Focusrite VRM Box - 02/11/12 10:16 PM
Steve, maybe I got a faulty unit ? But I'm too old to fuss with stuff that doesn't work. I'm 'over it' and moving on without VRM.

I'm getting back in to fingerstyle playing after learning it, then moving on. Have to 'relearn' and get some calluses back !
© PG Music Forums