PG Music Home
Posted By: rsdean I Don't Want To Talk About It - 02/06/12 02:04 AM
Hi All,

This is a song from an upcoming album that Josie and I are working on. It was written by Danny Whitten and covered by Rod Stewart in the mid 70's. In terms of production, we played the guitar parts and added "real strings" from GarageBand; where the song was also mixed.

Thanks for listening - we hope you enjoy it. Click here: I Don't Want To Talk About It

Bob
Posted By: Muzic Trax Re: I Don't Want To Talk About It - 02/06/12 03:49 AM
I love his duet with Amy Belle on this one. Spectacular as a duet, imo.

You two did a good job covering it. I don't know if it's these cheap ear plugs, but the vox over power the backing of the music? These are $10 plugs, so it might be them.

Josie's voice sounds amazing on this, wow. Very beautiful vocal!

I am digg'n the backing on this, nice! Tempo seemed a lil slow for my taste, but it sounds very good. Some tasty guitar chops all throughout the song though.

The String section really adds that extra harmonization "umph" as well.

Was there no Bass used in this? The earplugs again? Gotta get me some decent ones. Yup, I stepped on the cord again for the umpteenth time and broke my last pair AGAIN.

Very nicely done you two. Two thumbs up here !!

Trax
Posted By: Kevin Woolley Re: I Don't Want To Talk About It - 02/06/12 05:24 AM
Is the timing of your vocals purposely out on the verses? It is a little unsettling.

The backing is wonderful and very tasteful for this song and I love Josie's handling of the chorus.

Kevin
Posted By: dcuny Re: I Don't Want To Talk About It - 02/06/12 06:27 AM
I'm going to agree with Kevin here - I think you're more "outside" the beat than you think. You might want to set it aside for a bit and have another listen later. I suspect it's one of those things that you get used to after repeated listening, but the initial effect is rather jarring.

Same thing with the guitar when the vocals kicked in - it didn't really "click" for me.

And I thought the same thing about lacking in the low/middle frequencies.

Dang, I really hate to be writing this, especially after the post about not giving feedback when not asked for. I just think you might need fresh ears here, that's all.

OK, enough of the bad. The your guitar playing really makes the song stand out from other versions. The duet is very effective, and I've never heard Josie sound better - she really is outstanding here. As usual, you've got some really nice bits in the song.

I hope this helps. If I've overstepped here, sorry!
Posted By: Sundance Re: I Don't Want To Talk About It - 02/06/12 07:09 AM
Trax thank you! That was vocal take six using my Blue Encore 200 microphone.

I love the arrangement Bob did - he played all the guitars and mixed it on his Mac. All I really had to do was sing on this one. On my phones and speakers here the vox don’t seem to be too far out front….

Kevin/David - the around the beat timing in the second verse is very close to RS's version in his duet with Amy Belle as opposed to how RS sings it in other versions. If it's that unsettling we do want to know.

David, feedback helps us and I hope you know by now how much we appreciate each of you taking the time to listen and share your thoughts.

Josie
Posted By: mglinert Re: I Don't Want To Talk About It - 02/06/12 09:57 AM
Josie, Bob,

A really beautiful song. Always was.

I still have a problem with Bob’s vocals and that, unfortunately is my overwhelming impression of this track.

Josie is just great. very expressive and sincere.

Guitars sound a bit tinny to me.
That said, clearly a lot of work has gone into those guitar parts to get them to sound just so.

The ending here is not the best, but I love the intro!

I also get the feeling there is a timing problem in the verses. It’s as if there is no consistent beat underpinning both the vox and the backing track.

For information, many regard the finest version to be not the rather MOR Rod Stewart cover, but the ETBG version that you will find on their album, Idelwild (which by the way is heartily recommended)

Finally, and without wishing to be a killjoy, isn’t this post in breach of forum rule #8?

Marc
Posted By: rsdean Re: I Don't Want To Talk About It - 02/06/12 12:13 PM
All,

Thanks - we certainly do appreciate all the feedback. For my vocal part, which was singing the verses, I purposely sang a bit outside of the arrangement. I actually like the way it sounds - too me, this song is about emotion and is very haunting and I was looking to portray that overall in this version.

And yes, Josie sounds absolutely incredible on this...

Again, thanks for taking the time to listen and comment.

Bob
Posted By: MarioD Re: I Don't Want To Talk About It - 02/06/12 02:15 PM
LOVED IT!

I really like Josie’s vocals on this one, great job. Super guitar work here Robert! Plus this is one fantastic mix IMHO.

Personally I really liked the Dylan style of phrasing in the
“If I stand all alone
Will the shadows hide the
Colors of my heart
Blue for the tears
Black for the night fears
The stars in the sky
Don't mean nothin' to you
They're a mirror” section.”

Personally I would not change a thing on this one.
Posted By: Tim Lawrence Re: I Don't Want To Talk About It - 02/06/12 02:16 PM
Bob and Josie,

Hey guys, this sounds great. I'm quickly becoming a fan of your stuff.

Bob your voice actually sounds a little like Rod Stewarts, and Josie has such a pretty voice.
You guys sound good together.

Looking forward to hearing more of that album.

Tim
Posted By: MikeK Re: I Don't Want To Talk About It - 02/06/12 04:53 PM
Perfect all the way with the exception of the verse vocal timing. It is a bit bothersome.

Other than that, this is a STELLAR performance. Kudos!!!

Cheers,
Mike
Posted By: rsdean Re: I Don't Want To Talk About It - 02/06/12 11:40 PM
Mario / Tim,

Thanks so much for your kind words. We appreciate that.

Mike,

Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment. I addressed the vocal timing on the verses in a post above.

Bob
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: I Don't Want To Talk About It - 02/07/12 12:12 AM
Bob,

I've gotta agree with Kevin, David and Mike on your vocals. The timing is "unsettling", "jarring" and "bothersome". It makes it difficult to even get through the whole song.

It gives the impression to the listener that you're totally unaware of where the beat actually falls.

Josie's vocals are very good on the second verse and and her timing is also very good.

I tried twice to listen to the whole song and I had to stop it early in the third verse when you started singing again after Josie's vocal.

If you re-sing it in the proper time, I'd say it would be a very nice song.

The guitar work on the parts I was able to listen to was good.
Posted By: Danny C. Re: I Don't Want To Talk About It - 02/07/12 01:49 AM
I can only echo much of what was already said . . . . but to some it up I'll say "IMHO" other than the timing issues, already discusssed this could you guy's best effort to date. Particually liked the acoustic guitar work and Josie's heartfelt vocal.

Later,

Edited some spelling . . . had my glasses on when I re-read it this time.
Posted By: John Conley Re: I Don't Want To Talk About It - 02/07/12 04:04 AM
The song title says it for me. A lot of proverbial guns get pointed when people are honest or have an opinion. Refer to the title. I give 2 thumbs up quite liberally just if you wanted to know, which you don't I think.
Posted By: rsdean Re: I Don't Want To Talk About It - 02/07/12 11:34 AM
Bob / Danny / John,

Thanks for listening. We appreciate you taking the time to comment.

Bob
Posted By: FrederickPenson Re: I Don't Want To Talk About It - 02/08/12 05:12 AM
Nice song. You guys are working really amazing
Posted By: Brallan Re: I Don't Want To Talk About It - 02/08/12 05:57 AM
Hi:

I am late to the party here, but finally gave a listen, and I must say, I am floored... this is just very beautiful, and not just because it's a beautiful song. The mix, the Garageband orchestration, and especially the acoustic guitar playing moved me. It's really true, you guys are making huge progress, and I hope you sell some music (maybe you could keep us all posted as to how it is going in that regard.)

The voices are superb. Bob's voice is better than ever, but,

(Here, I posted some comments about the timing, but I just edited them out, so as not to provoke further defensiveness... sorry).

.... other than that, kudos, guys!
Posted By: Jan Romanoff Re: I Don't Want To Talk About It - 02/08/12 12:49 PM
Hi Bob & Josie

Good guitar work, nice feel, excellent cover. Josie’s singing was spot on, better than ever IMO. Bob, yes I agree what have been said about the timing issue.

// Jan
Posted By: Sundance Re: I Don't Want To Talk About It - 02/09/12 01:34 AM
Thanks to each of you for listening and for all the comments guys.

Bob and I appreciate it.

Josie
Posted By: Tommyc Re: I Don't Want To Talk About It - 02/09/12 09:33 PM
I like it like it is.
Posted By: RichardWilliams Re: I Don't Want To Talk About It - 02/09/12 10:14 PM

Quote:

I like it like it is.

So do I.
Posted By: rsdean Re: I Don't Want To Talk About It - 02/10/12 01:29 AM
Tommy / Richard,

Glad you enjoyed it - thanks very much for listening and commenting.

Bob
© PG Music Forums