PG Music Home
Posted By: MitchC BIAB - Use it for originals or covers ? - 02/16/12 10:56 PM
Do you use BIAB to do (primarily) original music or cover tunes ?
Posted By: Kemmrich Re: BIAB - Use it for originals or covers ? - 02/16/12 10:57 PM
I don't do covers. If I was a really good singer I might, but I'm not, so I don't.
Yeah I would have said that same thing a month ago, but I just got a midi win controller and have been creating backing tracks for some of my favorite flute peace's that I played when I was playing the flute way back when.
I still mostly use BIAb for original songs though.

To be honest if I actually thought I had a for sure hit on my hands I'd send my song to a pro recording studio and have them do the arrangement and vocals.
Don't get me wrong I think BIAb's great, but I sure ain't no singer and as good is BIAB is I think most of the time a pro studio would do a better job.

Tim
You probably wouldn't recognize the original when I'm done. But it still is a cover of a sort.
Posted By: MarioD Re: BIAB - Use it for originals or covers ? - 02/17/12 02:23 AM
Mitch, you need to add another item to vote on and that would be both.

I use BiaB for cover tunes and originals.

Of course maybe I’m the only one. But I doubt it!
Quote:

No Mario...you're the only one!
Posted By: Danny C. Re: BIAB - Use it for originals or covers ? - 02/17/12 05:16 AM
Quote:

Quote:

I was going to say no your not, but then I thought again . . . yes you are!

Later,
Posted By: 90 dB Re: BIAB - Use it for originals or covers ? - 02/17/12 09:55 AM
Hi Mitch.

Originals for me. I want to do some covers to play out with, but I'm having too much fun writing with the program.

Since I got it I've done about a dozen new songs, and re-recorded some old songs. It's also great for writing jingles. We've had about a half dozen BIAB jingles on the radio, and are working on a TV spot now. BIAB is the greatest writing tool I've ever used.

Regards,

Bob
Mitch, Likewise.....both. My versions of Jazz Standards.....I suppose you would class these, as "covers"? And I also write a lot of my own stuff, both as instrumentals & vocals.
Regrd, Joe G.
Posted By: MikeK Re: BIAB - Use it for originals or covers ? - 02/17/12 04:11 PM
All original here as well. I've done one "cover" (or new original, if you will since it's quite a different arrangement)of Nights In White Satin. But, that wasn't done with BIAB.

Cheers,
Mike

Edit: to add that the above mentioned cover IS licensed through the Harry Fox Agency and can currently only be listened to on my www2.mixposure.com/mike_kohlgraf page - for those who might be curious)

Mitch - All originals here.

Were I still doing bar gigs, I might be tempted to do covers although I doubt they would be faithful
instrumentation - too much work!!

But I'd rather put the effort into originals and deciding which genre best suits which song. That's why BIAB is so great - all that flexibility.

Ian
BiaB for original tunes, and Rb for covers.

Not really what you ask, but what i do.
Posted By: MarioD Re: BIAB - Use it for originals or covers ? - 02/17/12 08:57 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I was going to say no your not, but then I thought again . . . yes you are!

Later,

OK, you guys have convinced me that my next cover will be Gilbert O’Sullivan’s “Along Again, Naturally”
Quote:

OK, you guys have convinced me that my next cover will be Gilbert O’Sullivan’s “Along Again, Naturally”

After that, you can do his other one..."Alone Again, Naturally" ROTFLMAO!!
Posted By: MarioD Re: BIAB - Use it for originals or covers ? - 02/17/12 09:08 PM
Quote:

Quote:

OOPS - typo

Good catch!
Posted By: Danny C. Re: BIAB - Use it for originals or covers ? - 02/18/12 01:22 AM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

OOPS - typo

Good catch!

Hmmmmmm. maybe you are not the one after all.

Later,
Posted By: mglinert Re: BIAB - Use it for originals or covers ? - 02/18/12 07:53 PM
Originals, but I only really use biab in the early phases of composition.
Generally nothing left of it by the time the final version is ready.

Marc
Posted By: MarioD Re: BIAB - Use it for originals or covers ? - 02/18/12 08:30 PM
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

OOPS - typo

Good catch!

Hmmmmmm. maybe you are not the one after all.

Later,

I am the one Danny

I'm the one who can't spel fir beens
Covers only. I wouldn't know where to start with composing and don't know what I would do with the originals. At the last count I had 500 covers, all typed into and arranged in BIAB. Plus every one has a copy of the sheet music with performance notes arranged in binders - it's been a life's work!

Tony
Posted By: MitchC Re: BIAB - Use it for originals or covers ? - 02/24/12 02:14 AM
Thanks guys. I guess I was trying to see what the main audience is for BIAB and how that may influece PG on what kind of styles and Real Tracks they offer in the future.
I am not suprised at the result of your survey and would expect most of the active posters on these forums to be more into composing than the average user. I suspect however that more than 1/3 of the users who aren't active on the forum are using BIAB for covers otherwise PG is in trouble. The whole premise and promotion of BIAB is based on it being an accompaniment program.

That's the trouble with internet forum surveys. The results depend heavily on how the question is phrased and who bothers to answer.

Tony
© PG Music Forums