PG Music Home
Posted By: bobcflatpicker New computer = 1 happy camper - 02/17/12 10:34 PM
As some of you are aware, (since you helped diagnose the problem), my motherboard and/or CPU fried on my old system a month or 2 ago. I've been using an old Dell shell with Ubuntu 11.10 to get by since then. I really couldn't afford a new system but I've been bummed not having BIAB and no video games!

I usually build my own systems, but I didn't have any current parts for a "base system" and it wasn't cost effective to start from scratch. So here's what I got:

Quote:

iBUYPOWER HS11

Intel® Core™ i5-2500K Processor (4x 3.30GHz/6MB L3 Cache)

Liquid CPU Cooling System [SOCKET-1155] - ARC Dual Silent High Performance Fan Upgrade (Push-Pull Airflow)

8 GB [4 GB X 2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair XMS3

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 - 2GB - Single Video Card - Zotac

Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 Motherboard

Thermaltake 850 Watt W0319RU Power Supply

1 TB Hard Drive -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive

Optical Drive (24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black)

3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium + Office Starter 2010 (Includes basic versions of Word and Excel) - 64-Bit

NZXT Tempest 410 Gaming Case - Black

iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion ([6-Port] NZXT Internal USB Expansion System + Bluetooth & Wireless N Modules)

3 Year Standard Warranty Service

It was a "configure your own" system so I made sure to get a MOBO with 2 extra PCI and 2 extra PCI Express slots for expansion. I'll probably add my old Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS to it and put my old 500 GB hard drive in so I can add XP 32 as a dual boot system, (I have music hardware and software that won't run on a 64 bit system).

I'll have to say that this is easily the quietest system I've ever been around. I guess the Liquid CPU Cooling system is worth considering for any recording musician, not just gamers.

I'd like to say thanks again to everyone who helped with the old PC. There's a bunch of good folks on this forum.
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: New computer = 1 happy camper - 02/17/12 10:49 PM
Looks good Bob. What's the geek bench score for that? http://www.primatelabs.ca/geekbench/
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: New computer = 1 happy camper - 02/17/12 11:09 PM
Peter,

I'd never used Geekbench, but since I know you're a trusted source I installed and ran it. (FWIW, it's FREE to try, 20 seconds to install and 60 seconds to run, in case anyone else wants to try it out).

I did get the message on the install that "64 bit benchmarks are disabled for tryout mode", so it ran it based on 32 bit benchmarks.

My score was 8,492. How's that?
Posted By: seeker Re: New computer = 1 happy camper - 02/17/12 11:25 PM
Bob,

Not Peter of course but:
Limited knowledge of Geekbench but my score on a pretty fast 3 1/2 year old Vista system
is 2895, hench your PC is literally 2.9 times faster perfomance than mine, its a screamer.

Based this on http://support.primatelabs.ca/kb/geekbench/interpreting-geekbench-scores

Hot damn, wish yours was sitting on my desk...
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: New computer = 1 happy camper - 02/17/12 11:38 PM
Frank,

Thanks for the link on interpreting the Geekbench scores. It helps me put it in perspective.
Posted By: Mac Re: New computer = 1 happy camper - 02/18/12 01:49 AM
happy for you, BobC.

*smile*

--Mac
Posted By: MitchC Re: New computer = 1 happy camper - 02/18/12 01:50 AM
Congrats !
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: New computer = 1 happy camper - 02/18/12 02:18 AM
Thanks guys. It feels good just having a computer that WORKS! Especially so fast!

Mac,

I really appreciate the phone conversations we had while I was trying to figure out the problem with the old computer. Thanks again my friend.
Posted By: PeterGannon Re: New computer = 1 happy camper - 02/18/12 03:00 AM
Yes, that's an incredibly fast GeekBench result.
Posted By: Curmudgeon Re: New computer = 1 happy camper - 02/18/12 06:23 AM
Happy for you, Bob. Looking forward to seeing you post some of that good ol mountain music.

Don S.
Posted By: Sundance Re: New computer = 1 happy camper - 02/18/12 06:38 PM
Congrats Bob!

Josie
Posted By: mglinert Re: New computer = 1 happy camper - 02/18/12 07:48 PM
If you don't mind my asking Bob, how many of your US dollars did it take to get that thing humming (quietly) in front of you?

Curious regards,

Marc
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: New computer = 1 happy camper - 02/18/12 08:44 PM
Marc,

I don't mind. $1045 plus shipping. iBUYPOWER was having a Super Bowl sale on a "configure your own" system. There were several upgrades I got for free as part of the promotion.
Posted By: seeker Re: New computer = 1 happy camper - 02/18/12 10:00 PM
A newer PC is on my horizon the next few months.
Shopping a bit, and trying to learn more, and in process
found this link for PC Geekbench speed comparisons.
My current Vista system clocks out a bit faster
due to my Nvidia 9600 graphics card. The 2895 as
mentioned above. In June its about 4 years old.

Your system 8492 is right up there in speed.
Your processor can drive even faster system as noted
on this link. Its only 8 down from the top units
tested Nov 2011. You really have a hot system.

http://www.primatelabs.ca/geekbench/pc-benchmarks/

Make sure you have lotsa air movement around it.

Envy, Envy, Envy, Envious....think that is some kind of a sin.
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: New computer = 1 happy camper - 02/18/12 10:25 PM
Frank,

Quote:

Make sure you have lotsa air movement around it.

I should be in good shape in that regard. I had them add 2 large high performance silent fans to the case. The top of the case over the MOBO is essentially open as it has a mesh or grate to allow heat to rise, although I have yet to detect even the slightest bit of warm air coming out, even while playing games. I've never had a liquid CPU cooling system but it seems to be working very well.
Posted By: Mac Re: New computer = 1 happy camper - 02/19/12 04:11 PM
Even though I somehow suspect that you have plenty experience in the art and science of liquid cooling.

Now you can apply to the puter instead of just yer liver though...

Hey BobC, TRIED TO CALL YA and got someone else?

PM me.

--Mac
Posted By: Pat Marr Re: New computer = 1 happy camper - 02/20/12 04:54 AM
Bob,
does this mean we'll be hearing some new songs from you?
Posted By: Tchairdjian Re: New computer = 1 happy camper - 02/20/12 06:48 AM
I had a liquid cooling system on my PC, but it kept leaking and breaking down... finally the manufacturer suggested I switch to a heat sink with extra fans.... it's been running like a charm since then... keep an eye on it... it also kept frying my memory modules... and since they were guaranteed for life... they kept changing them for free, but it was a hassle... Ever since the heat sink, no problem there too.
Posted By: mglinert Re: New computer = 1 happy camper - 02/20/12 11:13 AM
Quote:

Marc,

I don't mind. $1045 plus shipping. iBUYPOWER was having a Super Bowl sale on a "configure your own" system. There were several upgrades I got for free as part of the promotion.

THanks Bob, I think you'd have to look very long and hard over here in Euro land to find a comparable system for under 800 EUR.

ENJOY!!
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: New computer = 1 happy camper - 02/20/12 08:06 PM
Pat,

Quote:

does this mean we'll be hearing some new songs from you?

Maybe, ... maybe not. It at least removes one of my excuses for not recording.

I've got a ton of originals that I'd like to at least do rough draft recordings of before I croak. At least a few of them are pretty good and potentially marketable.

But I still have the excuse of letting my chops get stale! It would take at least a few months to get even close to where they need to be.
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: New computer = 1 happy camper - 02/20/12 09:10 PM
Mac,

Quote:

I somehow suspect that you have plenty experience in the art and science of liquid cooling.

Now you can apply to the puter instead of just yer liver though...

Whatever could you be referring to ??? Hehe.
Posted By: Ryszard Re: New computer = 1 happy camper - 02/21/12 05:07 AM
I'll start another thread to post progress, but wanted to say that I have begun compiling a parts list for my new super-DAW based on Bob's mobo and processor and the list provided at mysuperpc.com (highly recommended!), which someone suggested in another discussion.

I like Bob's mobo for the PCI slots and parallel port, which will let me keep my Soundblaster 2 ZS Platinum Pro (assuming drivers work in Win 7) and run my antique version of Nuendo with the parallel port dongle. I also plan to get BIAB 2012 and Reason 6 to round out the software package.

Bob, thanks for sharing the list.

R.
Posted By: mglinert Re: New computer = 1 happy camper - 02/21/12 10:08 AM
Quote:

I'll start another thread to post progress, but wanted to say that I have begun compiling a parts list for my new super-DAW based on Bob's mobo and processor and the list provided at mysuperpc.com (highly recommended!), which someone suggested in another discussion.

Thanks for the heads up on this site Ryszard. I just wonder whether some of the tutorials could do with a little updating.

Marc
Posted By: Ryszard Re: New computer = 1 happy camper - 02/21/12 10:46 AM
Marc,

Don't know about the tutorials, but the parts list and prices were up to date as of that day when I checked it a few days ago.

I am compiling my list as a public Wishlist at Micro Center (microcenter.com) as "Richard L" and will compare prices once I have everything together. I'll approach MC about making me a package deal before I start piecing it out online.

MC is a regional chain which is pretty competitive and has a great selection. They also have a store near my house which has offered me great service over the last couple of years.
Posted By: Ryszard Re: New computer = 1 happy camper - 03/12/12 01:55 PM
Quote:

As some of you are aware, (since you helped diagnose the problem), my motherboard and/or CPU fried on my old system a month or 2 ago. I've been using an old Dell shell with Ubuntu 11.10 to get by since then. I really couldn't afford a new system but I've been bummed not having BIAB and no video games!

I usually build my own systems, but I didn't have any current parts for a "base system" and it wasn't cost effective to start from scratch. So here's what I got:

Quote:

iBUYPOWER HS11

Intel® Core™ i5-2500K Processor (4x 3.30GHz/6MB L3 Cache)

Liquid CPU Cooling System [SOCKET-1155] - ARC Dual Silent High Performance Fan Upgrade (Push-Pull Airflow)

8 GB [4 GB X 2] DDR3-1600 Memory Module - Corsair XMS3

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 - 2GB - Single Video Card - Zotac

Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 Motherboard

Thermaltake 850 Watt W0319RU Power Supply

1 TB Hard Drive -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive

Optical Drive (24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black)

3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium + Office Starter 2010 (Includes basic versions of Word and Excel) - 64-Bit

NZXT Tempest 410 Gaming Case - Black

iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion ([6-Port] NZXT Internal USB Expansion System + Bluetooth & Wireless N Modules)

3 Year Standard Warranty Service

It was a "configure your own" system so I made sure to get a MOBO with 2 extra PCI and 2 extra PCI Express slots for expansion. I'll probably add my old Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS to it and put my old 500 GB hard drive in so I can add XP 32 as a dual boot system, (I have music hardware and software that won't run on a 64 bit system).

I'll have to say that this is easily the quietest system I've ever been around. I guess the Liquid CPU Cooling system is worth considering for any recording musician, not just gamers.

I'd like to say thanks again to everyone who helped with the old PC. There's a bunch of good folks on this forum.

bobbyc,

I have begun collecting the parts for a system based on yours. I already have the mobo, processor, and graphics card. I'd like to discuss the rationale for some of the rest of it with you. Should we do that here, in a new thread, or offline?

First thing I want to know is, did you get your Audigy soundcard working? I will probably load mine with XP partly to save cost, but partly for compatibility.

Second thing is, that mobo is incredible, at least by my present standards. I have some questions about what they are saying about SSDs (and lots more). Can we talk?

Richard
Posted By: Matt Finley Re: New computer = 1 happy camper - 03/12/12 02:19 PM
Probably good to start a new thread on each major topic, like SSDs. I'll contribute to that one; mine made an incredible difference.
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: New computer = 1 happy camper - 03/12/12 09:56 PM
Richard,

When I bought the computer, each component was broken down with a list of 10 or more options on each one. The Gigabyte MOBO was the default option, but I went to their homepage and checked the specs, primarily for expansion capabilities and saw that it was more than adequate for my needs. I then checked reviews and they were very good. I’ve used Gigabyte MOBO’s before and was well pleased with them so it made the decision easy.

I’m not sure I can add anything to the specs, but if you have any specific questions I’ll be glad to try. If I can’t answer them, maybe someone else here can. If it pertains to SSD’s, I’m afraid I wouldn’t be able to help since I’ve never used them.

Expansion and reliability were my primary considerations for the MOBO. I also like the user friendly bios. I’m computer literate, but I’m definitely not a full fledged “nerd”, (aka super tech savy). LOL.

I haven’t installed the Audigy card yet, but I don’t foresee any problems. I’ve used it on 3 different MOBO’s and 4 different operating systems. Win 98, XP 32, Win 7 64 and Ubuntu. I’ve never had a hiccup with it. Once I get around to installing it, I’ll try to remember to let you know, but I don’t think you’ll have any problems with yours. I’ve been too busy playing Mass Effect 3 and saving the galaxy to bother with installing it, but I will get around to it eventually.

That game is extremely demanding on the computer hardware, but mine barely purrs when playing it with all of the options turned on high.

Good luck on building your new computer. It’s fun having one that’s capable of handling most anything you can throw at it.
Posted By: KeithS Re: New computer = 1 happy camper - 03/13/12 05:56 AM
Quote:

I just wonder whether some of the tutorials could do with a little updating.

I used the mysuperpc.com site to build my computer which I assembled about 10 months ago. The tutorals were spot on at that time. I had my computer assembly set up on one table and my laptop on another and kept cosulting the instructions as I went. The only hitch I had in the whole process was my own fault. When I discovered that my i7 2600K, had its own cooling fan, I decided not to install the fan recommended by my superpc (ZALMAN CNPS9500) which I had already ordered but thought that I would return. When I fired up the PC for the first time, the Intel provided CPU fan didn't turn. After I checked all the connections, I came to the conclusion that the stock fan was no good out of the box. Unfortunately, the third party fan, unlike the stock fan, had connections that went to the underside of the Motherboard so I had to completely disassemble everything and start over....#@^^!!!.

By the way, here is the screenshot of the Geekbench score on that new PC:

Posted By: Ryszard Re: New computer = 1 happy camper - 03/19/12 03:23 PM
Bob,

Sell ma clothes, I'm goin' ta heaven! I've got most of the parts, closely based on your system. Maybe I should have gone thru the same people you did but I decided to build it myself. Already have the same mainboard, processor, and video card as you. I'm leaving after I write this to pick up power supply, hard drive (1 Tb, 7,200 RPM, 6.0 Gb/s, 64 Mb cache), 16 Gb Corsair XMS3 DDR3-1600 RAM (had to outdo you a little), and to discuss the case and a few accessories.

Next stop: video monitor(s). For them's as paying attention, what is the consensus: Two good sized displays, or one big one? IIRC the graphics card is capable of 2580 x 1600 resolution.

Thanks to Bob and all who have taken the time to comment.

Richard
Posted By: Tchairdjian Re: New computer = 1 happy camper - 03/19/12 03:33 PM
As far as monitors go, I love my 2 Samsung monitors (SyncMaster 2443). They are 24"... But I had to look hard to get a pair with a Resolution of 1920 x 1200 (none of that 1920x1080 stuff!). I find the new monitors with only 1080 resolution not high enough to fit enough of anything unless you're watching movies... LOL.
Posted By: Larry Kehl Re: New computer = 1 happy camper - 03/20/12 03:28 AM
Keith

Not to hijack Bob's thread and I thought I sent you a PM - now I'm not so sure I hit continue and not just the backspace key so since I'm here again..

Did you OC your homebrew? We have nearly identical specs (except for MoBo's and yet you have almost %50 bump from my Geekbench of ~ 9400 +/- a few hundred) and while I can't quite read it looks like your floating point number is 20k+ 'ish while mine is around 11K'ish half of that??
Just wondering since this is OT forum anyway

Thanks
Larry
Posted By: KeithS Re: New computer = 1 happy camper - 03/20/12 02:51 PM
Quote:

Keith

Not to hijack Bob's thread and I thought I sent you a PM - now I'm not so sure I hit continue and not just the backspace key so since I'm here again..

Did you OC your homebrew? We have nearly identical specs (except for MoBo's and yet you have almost %50 bump from my Geekbench of ~ 9400 +/- a few hundred) and while I can't quite read it looks like your floating point number is 20k+ 'ish while mine is around 11K'ish half of that??
Just wondering since this is OT forum anyway

Thanks
Larry

No overclocking. I obviously bought the unlocked version so that potentially I could but it was running plenty fast so I didn't mess with it. I can't read that tiny print on the screen shot either, so I'll run it again tonight and send you the numbers.
Posted By: Ryszard Re: New computer = 1 happy camper - 04/10/12 02:08 AM
Bobby C,

Did you get your Audigy working? I just got my supercomputer (closely based on your machine--I'll make a separate post) back from the builders and have to make a decision about sound.
Posted By: bobcflatpicker Re: New computer = 1 happy camper - 04/10/12 04:08 AM
Richard,

I still haven't installed it. Music has been low on my priority list lately.

Glad to hear you've got a new computer built. Mine's been purring like a kitten. The Soundblaster card should do fine on the new system, although I can't state that for a fact since I haven't installed it. I believe the the big question would be "is it advanced enough to suit your needs?"

If it is, you should be fine.
Posted By: Mac Re: New computer = 1 happy camper - 04/10/12 12:38 PM
Apparently, Bobc's life has been one long and darn near continuous Computer Gaming session since the appearance of the new machine...

--Mac
Posted By: redguitars Re: New computer = 1 happy camper - 04/12/12 01:17 PM
I got a 7771 score on my Dell i5 Desktop. It's 6 months old, i5, 6gb RAM and a 1TB HD.
Is that a good score or average. I looked at the charts they had there and I didn't understand it. I just know that replacing our PCs, we both got Win7 machines and they fly compared to our old trusted ones.

Good luck with your new PC Bob, It's amazing how fast and easy they are now. I wouldn't go back ever. I was an XP Core2 Duo guy before. Now I wouldn't get anything less than an i5 and they are all so cheap too.

Also, YES it is wonderful using a PC that works.

Wayne,
P.S. Got my Dell at BJ's wholesale in a hurry last October. $599 that day. Still want to up the RAM to 8gb, but it still never seems to use over 35% of the 6gb RAM. So I guess I'll wait.
Posted By: Ryszard Re: New computer = 1 happy camper - 04/12/12 02:04 PM
Quote:

Apparently, Bobc's life has been one long and darn near continuous Computer Gaming session since the appearance of the new machine...

--Mac

It just occurred to me to express my gratitude to Bob for keeping the Galaxy safe for sentient life.

Posted By: seeker Re: New computer = 1 happy camper - 04/12/12 02:40 PM
Down a few replys from top is a link for comparisons of the speeds.
Posted By: Tchairdjian Re: New computer = 1 happy camper - 06/06/12 07:05 AM
I just built a new system too, and tried the Geekbench to see how it compares:
8665 is what I got for the 32bit test, even though mine is 64bit...

Windows 7/64 Home Premium: $85.00
MB: ASUS P8z77-V LE: $170.00
Intel i5-3550 @ 3.30 Ghz (Socket 1155 LGA): $225.00
Graphic Card: GeForce GTX550 TiSC w/1Gb: $130.00
Kingston 8Gb RAM DDR3 1600: $50
4x 1Tb Seagate SATA drives 7200rpm 64 Cache: $100.00 ea (Had 3 already)
Silverstone Strider 600W Power Supply: $70.00
Extra Heatsink+Fan CoolerMaster 212+: $30.00
Still Using my existing 2x 24" 1920x1200 Samsung Monitors (were $250 ea)
Hauppauge 2250 twin TV Tuner Card: $140.00
Samsung Optical DVD Drive 222AB Sata: $22.00
CoolerMaster 690II Advance Case USB3.0: $70.0

Just the Box w/o keyboard/mouse/monitors, etc: $962.00 CDN$ + 5% Sales Tax

And I am using my old TASCAM US144 MKII AI (was $150.00) + Ketron SD2
And a Behringer 1204FX Mixer & Bose Companion 3 Speakers...

Working great with BIAB 2012.
Posted By: bluejeanjunky Re: New computer = 1 happy camper - 06/06/12 08:14 AM
wow I wish I could have a system like that too.. I'm jealous
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: New computer = 1 happy camper - 06/06/12 12:33 PM
Quote:

Kingston 8Gb RAM DDR3 1600: $50

This is the component that caught my eye.

I remember when Windows 95 came out. I needed to buy a second 8 MEGABYTE memory stick for my 486 PC. The cost?

$325!!!!

And you just scored 8 GIGABYTES for $50.

Times change.
Posted By: Mac Re: New computer = 1 happy camper - 06/06/12 01:09 PM
Times change, along with stupid gummint taxation of RAM chips...
Posted By: eddie1261 Re: New computer = 1 happy camper - 06/06/12 01:17 PM
In 1995, when everybody knew that people upgrading to Windows 95 was going to need more RAM, the industry invented a story about a fire in some silicon factory in Singapore. That was the public reason given for the price gouging on RAM, that the raw materials needed to make it were scarce. Similar in concept to why gas prices go up the day before a holiday weekend, because people are sheep and will pay whatever it costs and they know it.

I remember that "fire" story well because I had no choice but to say "Baaaa" and buy the chip for that ridiculous price.
© PG Music Forums