PG Music Home
Posted By: PRearden psssst... - 02/22/12 03:27 AM
It's a $599 guitar.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/epiphone-joe-pass-emperor-ii-electric-guitar/518550000010000
...with about $500 of upgrades and made during the peak Epi years in Korea. New ones are made in Indonesia and are totally cheap crap.
Looks sweet Mitch!
**** SOLD PENDING PAYMENT ****
Jeez, Mitch. I just broke my piggy bank to get the money and it's already sold! Gotta get a new piggy bank now.

Regards,

Bob
Quote:

...with about $500 of upgrades and made during the peak Epi years in Korea. New ones are made in Indonesia and are totally cheap crap.

Surely these guitars can't be just a load of "cheap crap" as these guys seem quite satisfied.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/e...content=reviews

musiclover
I bought my Epiphone Joe Pass in 2002 in a musical store where, according to the sales manager, it was in the product shop window as a demo guitar during 4 years. The guitar was brand new, in mint condition, including hard case, but I don't know where it was made, because the only information in the inner sticker is about model, serial and a second over sticker reading 'dealer prototype - not for sale '. My Joe Pass is a great guitar for the budget, I recorded and gigged very satisfactorily with it. I added it an GK3 Roland pick-up.
I will transcribe here a segment of an article from the October 1997 issue of Guitar Player Magazine about this guitar:

'..Owing to its smaller dimensions, the Joe Pass comes to life in a more electric than acoustic way. Its generous neck affords excellent playability, and te medium-gauge wound-G set was a good match for its 24 3/4 scale. Offering surprinsingly good tonal range, the Pass was able to hang with the deeper-bodies guitars yet still sound surprisingly ES-175ish. The Gibson definitely sounded richer, but remember, it´s also more than three times as expensive. Bottom line: if you´re after as affordable archtop for jazz, blues or roots rock, this Epiphone warrants serious consideration. Lot of sounds, great playing feel, not quite as happening as the ES-175, but very close..'

Some recordings with my Pass guitar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VxCPlfV1...PHVHzmOaD6gMfbt

http://www.carlosarellano.com/music/01.SONGS/00-smoothbluesCarlosSolo.mp3
Wow now that's a use for MIDI I can get behind, being able to track your fingers! Incredible Playing Carlos and Cool Biab video! I really enjoyed Smooth Blues on your site.
If you liked Carlos's Smooth Blues, look up Latin Cowboy. This guy is world class!
Oh Yeah I Love that song Ryszard made a song using the same hybrid-style he used.
http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/showflat.p...true#Post352293
Wow Carlos! That's fabulous playing... I like that Roland MIDI converter... I've seen Matt Otten use it on some of his videos, but I've never seen it generate score while playing live... on BIAB. Great.
Cita:

Wow Carlos! That's fabulous playing... I like that Roland MIDI converter... I've seen Matt Otten use it on some of his videos, but I've never seen it generate score while playing live... on BIAB. Great.

Thanks Dick. Yes, I use the GK3 with a Roland GI-20 GK MIDI interface and sometimes with a Axon AX50. About of BIAB score of my playing, the one in video is not actually a real time generated score. I did a video capture after recording and add-edited it within my performance, I use a video edition software named Sony Vegas Video.
Matt Otten is fantastic yeah! he sometimes play also with an Epiphone Joe Pass, he get a superb sweet jazz tone aside his top notch performance.

Carlos
Carlos, Wonderful playing! I always love good jazz guitar playing, in any genre....and you are top class....swinging & melodic. I've just been "re-learning" my Eddie Lang solos........so, even although I'm a "traddie" by nature, you are definitely one of my favourite players!
Regards from Scotland. Joe Gordon.
Thanks Carlos. So for people like me who cannot read notes and prefer TABs, can you now have BIAB also generate the TABs as usual? If so, is there any way you can send me a copy of your BIAB file, as I would love to spend the next 10 years (LOL) learning that beautiful improv solo you created...?
Thank you Carlos. I received the file(s). Now I'll have to slowly learn that solo...
Thanks to the fact that we also have the YouTube video, as the TABs generated from the MIDI for the Melody track is not showing the actual fingering position on the fretboard... either I have to edit the channels (to one of 11 to 16) or I'll need figure out what position it should play on the fretboard... either way, it is much appreciated as it beats transcribing from scratch... Thank you again.
Hi Dick, I'm glad you liked the material and hope it assist you in solo learning. I'm sorry the MIDI data is not multichannel, I recorded it just as a demo of MIDI and BIAB standard notation on display, I didn't think in TAB at moment. I think later maybe I could take the time for transcribe it in mch mode, since I'know' my playing and fingering it would be a little easier task. Aside that, I have recorded lot of soloing with MIDI Multich which work perfect with TAB showing fingering and right positions. And yes, luckly the video is a nice helper in this case.
Btw, thanks so much for your contribution.
Cita:

Carlos, Wonderful playing! I always love good jazz guitar playing, in any genre....and you are top class....swinging & melodic. I've just been "re-learning" my Eddie Lang solos........so, even although I'm a "traddie" by nature, you are definitely one of my favourite players!
Regards from Scotland. Joe Gordon.

Thank you very much Joe. Nice web site, and the show look great too! Eddie Lang...he IS the real jazz guitar pioneer, a bless for swing six string guitar... and banjo too! short life ...long history.
Hello,
Epiphone are very good guitars: I own a acoustic 12 strings FT-165 since 1975, still in perfect state.
His sound has increased in beauty along the years (maybe, I've progressed too) and the only change was the colour of the table which tends more honey with the years.
I think there's no possible comparison with any new corresponding guitar.
Have fun!
François
Thanks Carlos! On one of the tours of Canada & USA, a newsaper reporter came backstage to do an interview........he said to me,....."A lot of the Guitar Bass runs you do in your Scottish Music, sound a bit like Eddie Lang......have you heard of him?" I was really proud! Regards, Joe G.
Carlos E Arellano,

Its a pleasure to meet you, almost.
Went to your site and really enjoyed the music.

Particularly like the "Tepuy Blues", great music from great artist.

So happy to listen to some of your songs.

Thanks for your work and also your "Realtracks"
© PG Music Forums