PG Music Home
Posted By: Danny C. VHS Tape to Digital DVD? - 02/26/12 09:15 PM
Based upon personal experience . . . Would anyone reccomend any software or source that I can use to convert old VHS tapes to DVDs?

Thanks!
Posted By: rharv Re: VHS Tape to Digital DVD? - 02/26/12 10:29 PM
Best bang-fo-buck I found a couple years ago was DVDExpress DX2
Worked great in XP, haven't tried it in Win 7.
Extremely easy to use.
Play Video into convertor box; box sends USB video/audio signal to computer. Saves as mpeg2 (If I remember correctly).
It does require the VHS player to have video out and audio out ports (yellow/red/white). Any device with these outputs can be used, including TV, camera, etc.
The DVDExpress just converts to mpeg at proper frame rate.

It's 8mm I'm struggling with!
Can't seem to find a player with video/audio outs. Trying to film the projector screen (with digital camera) loses a lot, no matter what settings I try.
Posted By: furry Re: VHS Tape to Digital DVD? - 02/26/12 10:53 PM
Have a look on Amazon Danny, chew through the reviews and go for what your budget allows.
The easiest way though maybe not the cheapest is to get a VHS / DVD recorder.
Not that expensive either. That way just bung in the tape & record direct to DVD !
Posted By: ROG Re: VHS Tape to Digital DVD? - 02/26/12 11:44 PM
rharv - the only way you're going to get better results with 8mm is with a professional tele-cine machine. These focus the image onto a CCD cell and output the result as VHS quality analogue which can be fed into your DVD Express. Unfortunately, they're not cheap.

ROG.
Posted By: Danny C. Re: VHS Tape to Digital DVD? - 02/27/12 09:28 PM
Thanks guys . . . I think I have decided to get the Toshiba DVR620 - DVDr/ VCR combo

I'll let you know how it works out.

Thanks again,
Posted By: Keith from Oz Re: VHS Tape to Digital DVD? - 02/28/12 02:27 AM
Danny,
Just be a litle careful; I recently got caught when buying a DVD/VCR for my mother in law. Althought it says VCR (video casette RECORDER) it was actualy only a video PLAYER, and a DVD recorder.

I understand that you just wish to copy tapes to DVD, but if you need to record video, look carefully at the specs.
Posted By: Danny C. Re: VHS Tape to Digital DVD? - 02/28/12 02:57 AM
Keith,

Thanks for the heads up I will check the checker upon your advice.

Thanks man!
Posted By: rockstar_not Re: VHS Tape to Digital DVD? - 02/28/12 02:19 PM
@rharv,

How about video cameras? My Sony 8mm handheld that I purchased around 1994 had a stereo mic, and it has a port on the side that has composite R/L/Video that is switchable between an input and an output. The model number is: CCD FX620

I didn't see any of these for sale on eBay. Mine is still functional, and yes, I should convert our tapes over - which I have yet to do.
Posted By: cxp Re: VHS Tape to Digital DVD? - 02/28/12 03:02 PM

Even better than 8mm camcorders, I believe all Sony Digital8 camcorders are backwards compatible with Hi8 and standard 8mm videotapes and these camcorders automatically convert the older formats to digital and can send the video to your computer (usually via Firewire). I've been doing this for awhile, but I'm not sure if Sony is still selling new Digital8 cameras. Good luck.
Posted By: rharv Re: VHS Tape to Digital DVD? - 02/28/12 03:39 PM
I doubt a handheld camera is going to play these ancient reels. They are not in cassette form, but actual reels with tape that is degrading over the years. One of the reels is about 10" diameter compiled of many smaller tapes from back in the day.

So far I have been able to set up the digital camera and record them, but you end up with the 'flutter' from frame speeds not matching. They never will since the tape speed is varying all the time and using a mechanical motor to move the tape. It's better than nothing and has preserved a couple tapes that ran for their last time as I recorded them. One of them has a guy walking in the background with an ice pick and a block of ice, heading to the house.. I'm guessing some of these are 60 - 70 year old tapes.
Posted By: yjoh Re: VHS Tape to Digital DVD? - 02/29/12 12:52 AM
Hi rharv,

FWIW, my brother in law had some 8mm tape on reels and he took them to a tape shop that had the proper equipment to convert and transfer to DVD. He was really happy with them, might be worth looking into.

All the best
Posted By: Don Gaynor Re: VHS Tape to Digital DVD? - 02/29/12 06:04 PM
If you don't expect to be transferring a bunch in the future, the cheapest route would be to have it professionally transferred. If you are talking your entire VHS collection then perhaps buying a machine would be prudent.

I had a terrible experience with a Phillips/Sylvania unit (all North American Phillips units are/were made by Symphonic/Funai. My service experience has been atrocious with them. Caveat emptor!

Just my dux loonies.
Posted By: Bill Lyons Re: VHS Tape to Digital DVD? - 03/01/12 12:10 AM
Looks like I'm a little late to the thread. You didn't mention if you're on a PC or Mac. There is a cheap solution that provides excellent results for home use. The Hauppauge 1196 WinTV-HVR-1250 PCI-E x1 TV Tuner 1196 PCI board for $65 on Amazon. You can usually find better deals elsewhere. This device can take basically any analog signal and turn it into an .avi file. Then you can use something like Nero to convert from .avi to a DVD. This also works with turntable audio, but you'll need to strip the blank video signal off of it. Newer versions of RealPlayer have built in converters for this sort of thing.

Good Luck
Posted By: FB Re: VHS Tape to Digital DVD? - 03/03/12 12:38 PM
Hello,
I own 2 VHS lessons from Robben Ford. I've tried to turn it on DVD but it seems to be protected against copying.
Has anyone a solution?
Thanks for your help.
François
Posted By: ROG Re: VHS Tape to Digital DVD? - 03/03/12 12:58 PM
Francois.

Hacking anything which is copy-protected is technically illegal, even if it's for your own use, so you may find people are reluctant to go public about how to do it.

ROG.
© PG Music Forums